AR/WP sentinel Build Help Plz

Daikirai

This is actually a pretty easy pairing.  I'd recommend just playing the sets and getting a feel for what you like and don't.  It's pretty hard to mess up Willpower, and AR isn't complex.  

You're probably thinking though, it is so many powers, what do I skip?!   What is bad?!  

Ok, ok.  

For Sentinels, cone powers cap at 6 targets and targed AOE cap at 10 targets (edit: Ok, some primary sets and some powers break this rule, but in general the rule is true.).  Assault Rifle has 2 cones capped to 6 targets and one targeted AoE capped to 10 (not counting the capstone, Full Auto, which you should take).  You don't need both cones, but you really should take the targeted AoE.  I eventually respecced out of Buckshot, and kept M30 Grenade + Flamethrower.  M30 Grenade does slightly less damage than Buckshot (like around 1 pt less of base damage IIRC) but it hits 10 targets.  So for bigger packs of enemies it will out perform Buckshot.  M30 will scatter enemies with knockback but a knockback to knockdown IO will fix that.  Flamethrower does more than double the damage of Buckshot but is also limited in targets since it is a cone.  

For single target, you can take or leave Slug.  Burst and Disorienting Shot are both pretty good right from the start even ignoring the entire Opportunity mechanic.  Burst recharges in 4 seconds and Disorienting Shot recharges in 5 seconds.  With some recharge enhancement you should have them available often enough.  Slug can be a helpful filler though since Incinerator doesn't become available until 26.  This is of course assuming you are playing the game and not just getting powerleveled to 26+.  I include Slug in my build since it mules a set and it makes exemplar content smoother.  YMMV, Slug is optional. 

For Willpower, Resurgence is not necessary.  If you are on the fence about what to do, I'd highly suggest you plan to take Strength of Will (though some do not care for this power).  Slotting for Willpower is also very easy.  Most of your toggles and passives only need a maximum of 3-4 slots unless you are going for some specific IO bonus.  High Pain Tolerance is an exception since it can take both heal and resistance enhancements.  Both types of enhancement do different things so a 50/50 split while leveling may be a way to go.  

Sentinels have really great selections in Epics/Patron Pools.  You can take these or not.  It really is a matter of personal preference.  I am heavily biased towards keeping my Sentinels built with their ranged attacks in their primary.  However, I do not ignore just how powerful some of the melee options in the Epics/Patron pools are.  You can get access to Cremate, Knockout Blow, Havoc Punch, Mind Probe and so on.  These are very strong abilities which you may or may not be interested in.  There are also AoE immobilize powers like Fire Cages or utility powers like Mass Hypnosis (AoE Sleep) in the Psionic Pool.  There are also additional melee range AoE powers which are not only potentially strong but can take on some sets Assault Rifle doesn't have access to (e.g, Avalanche for PBAoE powers). The Darkness and Soul options have Darkest Night and so on.  Again, lots of really solid choices but they won't break your build by not taking them.  I complete content just fine without them on many of my Sentinels.

If you're looking to use IO sets for this early on, I can get a lot more specific, but for now the request is fairly broad so that is why the response is broad in kind. 

Edited by oldskool

• 4 weeks later
On 7/24/2019 at 5:43 AM, oldskool said:

This is actually a pretty easy pairing.  I'd recommend just playing the sets and getting a feel for what you like and don't.  It's pretty hard to mess up Willpower, and AR isn't complex.  

You're probably thinking though, it is so many powers, what do I skip?!   What is bad?!  

Ok, ok.  

For Sentinels, cone powers cap at 6 targets and targed AOE cap at 10 targets (edit: Ok, some primary sets and some powers break this rule, but in general the rule is true.).  Assault Rifle has 2 cones capped to 6 targets and one targeted AoE capped to 10 (not counting the capstone, Full Auto, which you should take).  You don't need both cones, but you really should take the targeted AoE.  I eventually respecced out of Buckshot, and kept M30 Grenade + Flamethrower.  M30 Grenade does slightly less damage than Buckshot (like around 1 pt less of base damage IIRC) but it hits 10 targets.  So for bigger packs of enemies it will out perform Buckshot.  M30 will scatter enemies with knockback but a knockback to knockdown IO will fix that.  Flamethrower does more than double the damage of Buckshot but is also limited in targets since it is a cone.  

For single target, you can take or leave Slug.  Burst and Disorienting Shot are both pretty good right from the start even ignoring the entire Opportunity mechanic.  Burst recharges in 4 seconds and Disorienting Shot recharges in 5 seconds.  With some recharge enhancement you should have them available often enough.  Slug can be a helpful filler though since Incinerator doesn't become available until 26.  This is of course assuming you are playing the game and not just getting powerleveled to 26+.  I include Slug in my build since it mules a set and it makes exemplar content smoother.  YMMV, Slug is optional. 

For Willpower, Resurgence is not necessary.  If you are on the fence about what to do, I'd highly suggest you plan to take Strength of Will (though some do not care for this power).  Slotting for Willpower is also very easy.  Most of your toggles and passives only need a maximum of 3-4 slots unless you are going for some specific IO bonus.  High Pain Tolerance is an exception since it can take both heal and resistance enhancements.  Both types of enhancement do different things so a 50/50 split while leveling may be a way to go.  

Sentinels have really great selections in Epics/Patron Pools.  You can take these or not.  It really is a matter of personal preference.  I am heavily biased towards keeping my Sentinels built with their ranged attacks in their primary.  However, I do not ignore just how powerful some of the melee options in the Epics/Patron pools are.  You can get access to Cremate, Knockout Blow, Havoc Punch, Mind Probe and so on.  These are very strong abilities which you may or may not be interested in.  There are also AoE immobilize powers like Fire Cages or utility powers like Mass Hypnosis (AoE Sleep) in the Psionic Pool.  There are also additional melee range AoE powers which are not only potentially strong but can take on some sets Assault Rifle doesn't have access to (e.g, Avalanche for PBAoE powers). The Darkness and Soul options have Darkest Night and so on.  Again, lots of really solid choices but they won't break your build by not taking them.  I complete content just fine without them on many of my Sentinels.

If you're looking to use IO sets for this early on, I can get a lot more specific, but for now the request is fairly broad so that is why the response is broad in kind. 

Old post but gonna revive this instead of making a new topic looking for an AR/WP IO build. What IO setup would you recommend for someone wanting to do a AR/WP with both good survivability and damage?

28 minutes ago, Zale_Unda said:

Old post but gonna revive this instead of making a new topic looking for an AR/WP IO build. What IO setup would you recommend for someone wanting to do a AR/WP with both good survivability and damage?

Answering that would require me building that, and I don't currently have that combo.

Instead, I'll throw out some general advice.  Try to get around 29%+ on Smashing/Lethal Defense.  You can get there with 4x Unbreakable Guards in High Pain Tolerance, Mind Over Body, Tough, and Strength of Will.  Add in Weave, Maneuvers, and Combat Jumping/Hover to go along with Heightened Senses.  I generally don't add slots to Combat/Jumping but use a total of 3 slots for the others.  If you can add more, then great, but for simplicity 3 is enough.  The 3% defense globals are highly recommend and put them in High Pain Tolerance (so 6 slot it to mule it)

For more survival ideas, Buckshot (if taken) and M30 Grenade should get a Knockback-to-Knockdown IO.  Knockdown is great for giving you time to regenerate.  Disorienting Shot stuns and can stack with itself in magnitude to eventually stun bosses.  AR should be adding a lot of active mitigation to WP to help it survive.  Toss in Hover to play keep away from melee and it should be pretty safe. 

With Assault Rifle, recharge is you goal.  The set does pretty poor overall damage in single target and you'll want as much recharge as possible for Disorienting Shot spam.  Burst should, at a minimum, take on an Achilles' Heel for adding additional resistance debuffing.  That's more relevant to solo play but it still has group benefits too.  The issue with that proc and groups is that if others are running, the selfish-personal value drops.  If you can swing it without really hurting your defenses, then consider some damage procs in Burst since it can take several.  But streamline your attack routine down with recharge as that is going to be the most likely way to improve your damage without getting crazy.

Edited by oldskool

8 minutes ago, oldskool said:

Answering that would require me building that, and I don't currently have that combo.

Instead, I'll throw out some general advice.  Try to get around 29%+ on Smashing/Lethal Defense.  You can get there with 4x Unbreakable Guards in High Pain Tolerance, Mind Over Body, Tough, and Strength of Will.  Add in Weave, Maneuvers, and Combat Jumping/Hover to go along with Heightened Senses.  I generally don't add slots to Combat/Jumping but use a total of 3 slots for the others.  If you can add more, then great, but for simplicity 3 is enough.  The 3% defense globals are highly recommend and put them in High Pain Tolerance (so 6 slot it to mule it)

For more survival ideas, Buckshot (if taken) and M30 Grenade should get a Knockback-to-Knockdown IO.  Knockdown is great for giving you time to regenerate.  Disorienting Shot stuns and can stack with itself in magnitude to eventually stun bosses.  AR should be adding a lot of active mitigation to WP to help it survive.  Toss in Hover to play keep away from melee and it should be pretty safe. 

With Assault Rifle, recharge is you goal.  The set does pretty poor overall damage in single target and you'll want as much recharge as possible for Disorienting Shot spam.  Burst should, at a minimum, take on an Achilles' Heel for adding additional resistance debuffing.  That's more relevant to solo play but it still has group benefits too.  The issue with that proc and groups is that if others are running, the selfish-personal value drops.  If you can swing it without really hurting your defenses, then consider some damage procs in Burst since it can take several.  But streamline your attack routine down with recharge as that is going to be the most likely way to improve your damage without getting crazy.

Was just gonna post this build for you to look over that I was working on haha.

https://imgur.com/aWMHoWZ

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Assault Rifle
Secondary Power Set: Willpower
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Disorienting Shot

• (A) Decimation - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (3) Decimation - Accuracy/Damage
  • (3) Decimation - Damage/Endurance
  • (5) Decimation - Damage/Recharge
  • (5) Decimation - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (43) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)

Level 1: High Pain Tolerance

• (A) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP
  • (7) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 2: Burst

• (A) Decimation - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (9) Decimation - Accuracy/Damage
  • (9) Decimation - Damage/Endurance
  • (11) Decimation - Damage/Recharge
  • (11) Decimation - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge
  • (46) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff

Level 4: Mind Over Body

• (A) Reactive Armor - Endurance
  • (13) Reactive Armor - Resistance
  • (13) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance
  • (50) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 6: Fast Healing

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (7) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (15) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime

Level 8: Aim

• (A) Rectified Reticle - To Hit Buff/Recharge
  • (50) Rectified Reticle - To Hit Buff

Level 10: Indomitable Will

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 12: M30 Grenade

• (A) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance
  • (15) Ragnarok - Chance for Knockdown
  • (17) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (17) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (19) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge

Level 14: Hasten

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO
  • (19) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 16: Up to the Challenge

• (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
  • (21) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
  • (21) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (23) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
  • (23) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
  • (25) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 18: Flamethrower

• (A) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Accuracy/Damage
  • (25) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (27) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (27) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (29) Superior Sentinel's Ward - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (43) Superior Sentinel's Ward - RechargeTime/Chance for +Absorb

Level 20: Quick Recovery

• (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End
  • (29) Endurance Modification IO
  • (31) Performance Shifter - EndMod

Level 22: Boxing

• (A) Kinetic Combat - Accuracy/Damage
  • (48) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Endurance
  • (48) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Recharge
  • (50) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 24: Tough

• (A) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance
  • (31) Reactive Armor - Resistance
  • (31) Reactive Armor - Endurance
  • (43) Reactive Armor - Resistance/Endurance/Recharge

Level 26: Incinerator

• (A) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage(Negative)
  • (33) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance
  • (33) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (33) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (34) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge
  • (34) Gladiator's Javelin - Chance of Damage(Toxic)

Level 28: Heightened Senses

• (A) Reactive Defenses - Defense
  • (34) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance
  • (36) Reactive Defenses - Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (36) Reactive Defenses - Defense/RechargeTime
  • (46) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (48) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 30: Weave

• (A) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance
  • (36) Red Fortune - Endurance
  • (37) Red Fortune - Defense
  • (37) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 32: Full Auto

• (A) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage
  • (37) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Damage/RechargeTime
  • (39) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/RechargeTime
  • (39) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (39) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
  • (40) Superior Opportunity Strikes - RechargeTime/Chance for Opportunity

Level 35: Combat Jumping

Level 38: Maneuvers

• (A) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
  • (40) Red Fortune - Defense/Endurance
  • (40) Red Fortune - Defense
  • (42) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 41: Assault

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 44: Midnight Grasp

• (A) Kinetic Combat - Accuracy/Damage
  • (45) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Endurance
  • (45) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Recharge
  • (45) Kinetic Combat - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 47: Vengeance

Level 49: Strength of Will

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint

• (A) Empty

Level 2: Rest

• (A) Empty

Level 4: Ninja Run 

Level 2: Swift

Edited by Zale_Unda

The above looks like it would work.  I'd probably shift some things around due to personal preference, but that is neither here nor there.  

I'd consider swapping one of the Decimation IO's like a Damage/End or the like in Disorienting Shot with the Build-Up proc.  Generally, I'm not a huge fan of that one, but since you're already stacking 5 pieces might as well go for it.  The proc chance floor is 5% with a maximum chance of 90%.  You will use Disorienting Shot quite a bit so may as well Chuck a Lot of Dice

• Like 1