How to build multiple levels, and access them?

jakeywunder

So I get the general idea on how to create multiple levels, use different objects to mimic floors/walls/ceilings and you're golden. What I don't understand, however, is how to actually /access/ those different floors, because even when you take the ceiling out to the sky, you can't jump higher than the invisible ceiling.

I want to create multiple floors that you can seamlessly walk to without having to use internal teleporters, and I thought this was possible, judging from the picture on this link here.

Can somebody halp me pweeeeez. I've seen lots of info on how to make second/third floors, just no information on how to actually access them >< 

Hiya! There are two main ways to go about having multiple levels.

In the image you linked, they just made the ceilings and floors apart at their farthest distance and used... probably gray cabinets, it looks like... for the floors. To access them, they added staircase items to move from one to the next. If that image was from back in the live servers, you couldn't build above the ceiling at all, so they wouldn't have had an issue with anyone hitting the ceiling. So that's the easiest way to have different floors, but they can sometimes feel a bit cramped.

The other option we have now is being able to build above/below the base, and that's related to taking out the ceiling like you mentioned. While people in regular mode can't pass through the invisible ceiling, when you're in edit mode, you can. So in edit mode, you can either move your base entrance portal up on top of your base, or put teleporters up there to get people from inside to outside. The plus of doing it this way is that you can make as many floors as you like, as tall as you want. The minus is that it's a lot more complicated, because you have to build all your walls/floors/ceilings from scratch with base items. So it's really a question of how complicated you want things to be, lol.

Hope this helps! If you haven't read through the FAQ stickied to the channel, I highly recommend it; it helps explain a lot of the new tools. :)

Edited by Raevyn_Darke

On 7/23/2019 at 11:45 PM, jakeywunder said:

So I get the general idea on how to create multiple levels, use different objects to mimic floors/walls/ceilings and you're golden. What I don't understand, however, is how to actually /access/ those different floors, because even when you take the ceiling out to the sky, you can't jump higher than the invisible ceiling.

I want to create multiple floors that you can seamlessly walk to without having to use internal teleporters, and I thought this was possible, judging from the picture on this link here.

Can somebody halp me pweeeeez. I've seen lots of info on how to make second/third floors, just no information on how to actually access them >< 

I'm pretty sure room the picture that the builder created this inside the base, it's just very, very cleverly laid out. Either way though, the poster before is correct, you're still left with the same options.

1) Build everything above or below the base- the advantage is that you can have as many floors as you want but, the downside is that you have to build out the walls and the ceiling with items as well.

2) Build out multiple levels insides the base- advantage is that it saves you on your item limit because you can use the existing walls, floors and ceilings, the downside there is that, like the previous poster pointed out, if you put in too many levels, the rooms can feel a little cramped and, or course, there's only so many that you can do.

As for the pic, what you're really looking at is pretty much just a super clever use of stairs and various floor heights from what I can tell (I could be wrong though). But here's what I see:

The person in the pic is standing at the mid floor height which was chosen for the rest of the room, the first set of stairs goes up to the highest floor for that one section. The multilevel section has had it's floor sunk down to the lowest position- thus opening it out to it's fullest and allow for room for the three levels.

In addition to the current staircases available in the base editor, folks have created stairs out of all sorts of things for different looks. You can also slide them into and out of the walls/floors/ceilings in order to match your heights exactly. Looks like the builder in the picture used the old tech stairs and stacked them with a slight off-set in order to make the steps that meet into one larger one to avoid clipping- which I did before back on live and looks pretty cool imho. Also looks like they either sank or used different height columns for the structural supports and of course, the floors are ye old gray cabinets (my personal favorite back in the day lol).

Anyway, it honestly looks more complicated than it is- which is the hallmark of a good design imho and nothing to sneeze at but yeah, it's just plain old stairs.

• Like 1