Dark Blast - Ninjitsu Sentinel

tjknight

So my DB/NIN Sentinel is now level 36. There was a lot of trial and error, but so far so good. 

Things I really like about the build: 

- All the -ToHit coupled with Defense Toggles

- Built in Mez Protection, Self-Heal, and Recovery.

- Better than expected DPS.

- Movement Buffs and Stealth

Overall the build is stealth-nuker's delight. Plus I like how the -tohit on enemies helps teammates. Especially, teammates with defensive buffs. At level 36 this build is hard to kill. The only thing that's given him real trouble were the Rikti bosses in the RWZ missions from Levantera. I think those missions are made to be harder than normal. As it seems like the bosses always spawned at +1 or higher no matter what my settings were. The completely ripped me to shreds but once I went back to normal content I was fine. I'll probably go back and tackle those after the build is more complete. 

I'm terrible at using Mids/Pines, but here's a screenshot of where I'm at so far. Just basic generic IO's, with Tough and Weave so for.  Still for a mid-level hero this build is easy to play. If it weren't for my alt-itis  it would be 50+ by now. 

dark_nin_screenshot.JPG

Edited by tjknight
  • Like 1

I play Dual Pistols/Nin, and Dark Blast with Dark Armor. 

Both sets you have here will get a lot better when you invest into it.  Dark Blast may not look like much on paper (base damage is lowish), but it does like damage procs.  Every attack can include a Clouded Senses chance for negative damage.  Every attack can take the PvP toxic damage.  Abyssal Gaze can take the Unbreakable Constraint chance for smashing damage AND Ghost Widow's Embrace chance for psionic damage.  Abyssal Gaze can hit like a truck with 2 purple procs (Apocalypse + Unbreakable). 

If you can get enough defense to cover the soft-cap (or even within a percent or two due to the -to hit in DB) without using your attacks to get you there, then you can add a decent amount of damage to your ranged attacks.  Since DB likes to be close range for Blackstar, the Ancillary/Patron melee attacks are also a good potential addition to your attacks.  These are transformative to Sentinel damage if you don't mind being in the face of enemies.  I don't like them on weapon sets, it breaks immersion for me, but they are strong options to enhance your damage output.  Consider one, but also know you don't need one. 

Shinobi-Iri really should have more slots when you can spare them (I know you're only 36).  It is defense to all 3 positions.  I prefer the stealth IO in Sprint.  I can toggle it on and off as needed without losing defense. 

Kuji-In Sha only covers 1 resistance type.  I'd rather have 3x recharge so I can heal more often if talking just basic IOs.  

Bo Ryaku is actually fine with one slot, but YMMV. 

Don't sleep on Blinding Powder.  Confuse is amazing and it doesn't knock you out of stealth like your attacks do.  Even if you don't feel you need to use it, it has really good IO potential.  Seriously, look at what Coercive Persuasion does.  It is a purple set, but look at what it improves globally.  It is incredibly useful to Sentinels. 

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the pairing.  Dark powers are always good utility, and Sentinel Nin is quite strong with IOs.  It is a really good pair.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldskool said:

I play Dual Pistols/Nin, and Dark Blast with Dark Armor. 

Both sets you have here will get a lot better when you invest into it.  Dark Blast may not look like much on paper (base damage is lowish), but it does like damage procs.  Every attack can include a Clouded Senses chance for negative damage.  Every attack can take the PvP toxic damage.  Abyssal Gaze can take the Unbreakable Constraint chance for smashing damage AND Ghost Widow's Embrace chance for psionic damage.  Abyssal Gaze can hit like a truck with 2 purple procs (Apocalypse + Unbreakable). 

If you can get enough defense to cover the soft-cap (or even within a percent or two due to the -to hit in DB) without using your attacks to get you there, then you can add a decent amount of damage to your ranged attacks.  Since DB likes to be close range for Blackstar, the Ancillary/Patron melee attacks are also a good potential addition to your attacks.  These are transformative to Sentinel damage if you don't mind being in the face of enemies.  I don't like them on weapon sets, it breaks immersion for me, but they are strong options to enhance your damage output.  Consider one, but also know you don't need one. 

Shinobi-Iri really should have more slots when you can spare them (I know you're only 36).  It is defense to all 3 positions.  I prefer the stealth IO in Sprint.  I can toggle it on and off as needed without losing defense. 

Kuji-In Sha only covers 1 resistance type.  I'd rather have 3x recharge so I can heal more often if talking just basic IOs.  

Bo Ryaku is actually fine with one slot, but YMMV. 

Don't sleep on Blinding Powder.  Confuse is amazing and it doesn't knock you out of stealth like your attacks do.  Even if you don't feel you need to use it, it has really good IO potential.  Seriously, look at what Coercive Persuasion does.  It is a purple set, but look at what it improves globally.  It is incredibly useful to Sentinels. 

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the pairing.  Dark powers are always good utility, and Sentinel Nin is quite strong with IOs.  It is a really good pair.

These are great tips! Thank  you! 

• Like 1

Quick update. I soloed Ghost Widows Patron arc with this toon, including defeating an Elite Boss level Numina (+1) . I have no set bonuses or procs slotted, just generic IO's. I did pop a six enrages but other than that inspiration use was rather minimal.  I've tried this before on other toons and usually would have to get some help to beat her.  So for me this is a big accomplishment on a AT. It may not be that big of a deal to other people.

However, that pretty much sells me on this sentinel's build being quite solid.  

I've mostly soloed on red-side and nothing has given me that much trouble since lvl 22+. This has included missions arcs filled with Carnies (Jezebel Jones' arc) which normally are a problem for me.  So far Dark/Nin is proving to be my favorite sentinel combo and I've tried a few others. Eager to give Fire/Regen a try now because I hear similar things about it's toughness and solo ability. 

Also, I keep hearing theres a Discord sever for COH Sentinel players, but I can't find it! So if anyone can link me to it, I'd appreciate it. 

Edited by tjknight
  • Like 1