CoX on Linux - HOWTO

soulsuke

Since the last forum got wiped, may as well put up a mini guide here on how to run City of Heroes on Linux!

Apparently, you only need to install these two via winetricks to make it all work (from Tequila to the game itself):

winetricks dotnet35 dinput8

Both win32 and win64 prefixes work. Tested on wine 4.6 + esync patches.

So... There you go! Have fun!

Thanks for this thread. I'll try and share the steps I've done so far- hopefully we can all put our heads together and come up with something that'll work for anyone looking for help.

I'm running Fedora 29 and I'm trying to use etoh-downloader instead of wine'ing the tequila launcher. The required packages listed seem to be for Debian, so I went ahead and installed the following instead:

sudo dnf install libcurl-devel libxml2-devel
sudo dnf groupinstall "Development Tools"

(You may also need openssl-devel too- I already had that installed).

I ran into the same issue that this issue had and had to make a symbolic link myself via:

sudo ln -s /usr/include/libxml2/libxml/ /usr/include/libxml

I tried to compile but ran into another issue where my compiler said that TRUE and FALSE weren't defined, so I added these lines right below the #include lines in etoh-downloader.c :

#define TRUE 1
#define FALSE 0

After that I ran make and it compiled.

From here I need to get the game to work.

The guide here is where I'm trying my next steps:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OQ68rHr_BbA9QoHEEx9atG-xZiMFKCiXZVDPQ1JvrKc/preview#heading=h.xzxpcpt4kp6

I got the torrent from the magnet link and saved it to "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/City of Heroes". I put etoh-downloader in the directory and ran it there and it seemed to have did what it needed to do.

Now I'm not so sure what to do. I don't use wine very often so I'm not sure I'm going in the right direction here. I did:

winetricks dinput8

as the Google doc suggests the dot net stuff is only needed for the tequila launcher. Next I ran:

./etoh-downloader && wine score.exe -renderthread 0

in the City of Heroes directory and it comes up with the loading bar and then the splash screen and immediately crashes.

I'll post more when I figure out more, but if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong here feel free to point me in the right direction!

Good news, I was able to get past my previous error. Posting it here before I forget. Got to the login screen but I haven't gotten anywhere past that yet. Found this post on reddit which lead me to the following full command:

./etoh-downloader && wine score -patchdir score -patchversion 2019.04.19 -auth 178.128.143.231 -noversioncheck

See post two of my install guide, a recreation of my previous guide in the "old" forums that got wiped out, look at link in my siggy. 

Might be nice if you guys moved all this to the Help forums and to my Install guide thread as I am sure linux users looking there might appreciate the discussions.

Will do when I get a chance; I'm just figuring things out myself and keeping track of them so I don't want to say anything authoritative until I get it 100% working.

Cool.

If as you work through this you decide you want to help others troubleshoot or provide more in depth help than what is in my guide for linux users (my guide assumes people know enough about linux already etc) I would suggest you make your own Linux Guide so your proper installation write up is right there in the OP.

I will happily put a link to your thread in my guide for those needing more advanced guidance or help.