Some people are experiencing some awful performance issues, looking for help!

Stalgren

Hello there, it seems like me and some other people are experiencing some pretty bad performance issues running the game, on hardware that should be blowing it out of the water. We are unable to hit or maintain 60fps, or even worse at times, regardless of graphics settings aside from absolute minimum. There are troubles with a flickering UI and textures that seem to pop in to existence as well, with no apparent LOD aside form full res and blurry smudge.

People with similar hardware report having no issues at all despite using similar or even the same hardware, saying they get 100+ fps all the time.

I am looking for help or to notify whoever is working on the Homecoming code that there seems to be an issue with the game working for some people, in hopes that it can be identified and fixed in the future.

The specs I am running personally are:

i7-9700k

GTX 1080

1TB Samsung Evo SSD

16GB DDR4 RAM

Z390 Carbon Motherboard

Windows 10 64-bit

For more information, here is a reddit thread detailing what me and others have tried in an attempt to fix the problem

Short summary of some of what was tried include:

Changing all in game settings

Changing Nvidia Control Panel settings

Changing to latest and older drivers

Trying to force the game into High Priority mode

Using Compatibility Mode

Running as administrator

Seeing if it is using integrated graphics

Installing DirectX 9.0

If anyone could help or make it a know issue to be fixed I would be really grateful, as having the game run worse for me than it did back when it was live is a major bummer, and makes things significantly less enjoyable for me!

GPU: 1080

I was experiencing erratic fps drops, usually when I would quickly pan the camera and I fixed it by disabling the in-game vsync and enabling "adaptive vsync" and setting "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to 1 in Nvidia Control Panel. My fps has been rock solid since.

Using the in game V-Sync introduced a lot of stutter and hitching for me, which I found was mostly remedied by turning it off yes.

Using your suggestions to use adaptive V-Sync and limit pre rendered frames seems to have helped, although it introduced more stutter to my game. Definitely a step in the right direction though, better than it was before, but still not solid 60 unfortunately

From discord:

retchedYesterday at 11:16 AM

@everyone Important update incoming from our friends in the SCOTS team.

We finally have confirmation on user's Intel integrated graphics & Windows 10 issues. A community discussion with a member of the team behind Homecoming and SCORE revealed that both Intel and Windows 10 offer next-to-no support for OpenGL or legacy graphics engines, partially due to Microsoft's push for DirectX; Windows 10 doesn't even support hardware-accelerated OpenGL at all.

Most of these problems have been experienced by people using modern laptops. We're working on a better way to broadcast these problems for them to know about, and also discussed some possible future software solutions that could be built to overcome this hurdle and keep City of Heroes' game client functional on future hardware.

The latter will be further explored by our team down the road once server proliferation and i24 development is at a comfortable stage, but if anyone has a development group familiar with this type of development who would like to get started or lay out the groundwork, there's a lot of people out there who would appreciate it.

GPU: 1080

I was experiencing erratic fps drops, usually when I would quickly pan the camera and I fixed it by disabling the in-game vsync and enabling "adaptive vsync" and setting "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to 1 in Nvidia Control Panel. My fps has been rock solid since.

This helped me quite a bit - I'm using a 1080ti on a Ryzen and none of the in-game graphics settings made much of a difference - even changing antialiasing from 32x to off didn't help. Reducing world detail from 200% to 100% got me a few frames, but going lower didn't help more.

This got me from ~38 fps up to 55-70. Which is still awfully low, but it's a whole heck of a lot better!

• 3 weeks later

I'm also having issues with FPS, I cannot go higher than 40 my specs:

Windows 10 64-bit

i7 6950X extreme

Nvidia Titan XP 12GB

32GB RAM

Samsung SSD

I tried changing the resolution to 1080p down from 2k, dropping to medium graphics from ultra, and only netted me a 2 fps increase. I tried the Nvidia settings, I increased the maximum frames rendered it did nothing, and I don't have Adaptive Vsync available on the options, maybe cause I use a G-sync monitor.