Character disappeared after rename

BlackthornVcr

Excelsior server - Went to rename character -typed in new name and got the successful rename message. When I clicked ok, the renamed character disappeared. The name I renamed to is listed as unavailable, so I’m thinking my char is still out there in the ether? I know I didn’t delete as I would have had to type the old name not the new.

Character was named Romulus Mark I and was supposedly renamed to Romulus Princeps. 

‘’Is this a known bug?

edit - just noticed that it says I have 10 used character slots but only 9 show. There is an empty character slot in the middle of the list.

Edited by BlackthornVcr

• 7 months later

You could also go in to your COH folder, find the folder with the same name as your username, and inside that delete the file named "playerslot.txt". This is a preference folder that tells the client what order to display the characters. Deleting just causes the client to create a new one based off of what the server reports to it when you log in, and it's possible the client isn't displaying the renamed character because it's not in that file.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Takehai

Global Handle @Night.Fyre

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

I renamed a toon and the toon ended up 2 rows over in my 23rd character slot. The toon was in the 10th slot. Once he got renamed and was moved I was unable to move him back. I did the playerslot.exe thing and it just put all my toons into their original creation order. Once I did that they've been stuck there since. 

Since it's just a plain text file (.txt) you can edit it using a text editor, or create a new one if the Client isn't doing so for some reason. The format in the file is as follows:

"Username" "Shard Name" "Character Name" "Slot Number"

The first slot is "0", and each character slot is a separate line in file. So the first line in mine reads:

"Takehai" "Everlasting" "Leather Fyre" "0"

Keep in mind the order in the text file doesn't matter, it's the slot number that tells the client where to display the character in question.

Takehai

Global Handle @Night.Fyre

Confirmed Alt-oholic....