Soul Mastery Thinking

Clave Dark 5

So I'm working to adapt a build I found here for an Elev/TW/Soul tank (sorry, I can't recall who posted it) and was looking at a couple of powers they took from Soul Mastery.  They went with Gloom and Darkest Night, which seem fine enough, but it struck me that Dark Obliteration, if I'm reading this right, is a multi-target attack whereas Gloom is single.  They slotted it wit Thunderstrike for damage, but were I to slot one of them with Cloud Senses or Siphon Insight, they'd provide just a few better points for +Def (and the +ToHit Debuffs), although obviously sacrificing damage potential.

I was thinking of making these changes because Dark Oblit, being multi-target, would be better for the taunting crowds effects, following the usual tanker ideals of grabbing and holding agro, but maybe I'm missing something, like "you can always use more damage" or something; if so, then also slotting a +ToHitDebuff set instead of a damage set would also probably be a bad idea.  And maybe there's something to be said for some single target attack that I can't think of right now?  If it helps, I almost always team rather than solo.

If anyone has an opinion on this, I'm more than happy to hear it as I'm not too experienced with tankers yet, thanks!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

You have to take a Tier 1 power (Gloom or Tentacles) before you can take a Tier 2 (Dark Oblit or Darkest Night).

Most builds I see take Gloom and Dark Obliteration.

edit:  For TW purposes, firing powers like these makes you sheath/redraw.  Slotting these for set bonuses would probably work very well and avoid that.

Edited by Caulderone

Ah, solid point regarding first choice, I missed that part.  The build doesn't have any good room to pick two of them, so I'll settle for Gloom then.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝