What will you do if this goes belly up?

If this game goes under it'll likely be due to NCSoft pulling the plug, which means public servers would be done for the foreseeable future.  Since the server code is out there secret servers will most assuredly pop up, presuming they haven't already, but that may or may not be feasible for me.  I guess I'd pop on Paragon Chat, light a torch and have a sad, then go on with my life.

He PMed me what he did. Follow the instructions here, though I haven't tested it yet:

https://ourowiki.ouro-comdev.com/index.php?title=I25_Community_Virtual_Machines

FYI, I just tried it, and that's a no-no for me:

Looks like you need a quad-core or better, and since I only have a dual-core, I'm SOL...

That's the site where I learned how to do it. I just went with the first instructions, the Freedom VM, and it all worked fine though I have a Core I7 based system. You can use the same client on your PC to connect to both the local game server or a public game server, just by setting up the correct shortcut links.

The bottom line is that by now, thousands have the game running on their own PC's and it will always be out there. It can no longer be stopped. NC Soft could pay one of its lawyers to draft a comprehensive Cease and Desist letter to every public server host that pops up out of this, but it will cost them real time and money to actually enforce that should those letters go ignored. And since they're not making a profit off the game right now, they gain nothing, so it would most likely not be worth it.

We won.

He PMed me what he did. Follow the instructions here, though I haven't tested it yet:

https://ourowiki.ouro-comdev.com/index.php?title=I25_Community_Virtual_Machines

FYI, I just tried it, and that's a no-no for me:

Looks like you need a quad-core or better, and since I only have a dual-core, I'm SOL...

That's the site where I learned how to do it. I just went with the first instructions, the Freedom VM, and it all worked fine though I have a Core I7 based system. You can use the same client on your PC to connect to both the local game server or a public game server, just by setting up the correct shortcut links.

The bottom line is that by now, thousands have the game running on their own PC's and it will always be out there. It can no longer be stopped. NC Soft could pay one of its lawyers to draft a comprehensive Cease and Desist letter to every public server host that pops up out of this, but it will cost them real time and money to actually enforce that should those letters go ignored. And since they're not making a profit off the game right now, they gain nothing, so it would most likely not be worth it.

We won.

HAIL HYDRA!

Playing CoX is it’s own reward