What will you do if this goes belly up?

First off, I hope that this lasts forever somehow, so that future generations have the opportunity to enjoy this wonderful game.

...but ...what if?

What will you do?

Just sit there, crying at your screen?

go back to playing your other games?

or will you fight?

There are others out there.

Some to the point you can run it yourself on your personal laptop.

Seek and ye shall find

Share and you will be a Hero to some, Villain to others.

Guides for powers? They are still up for now, but may not be for long...

A wealth of information for this game could be wiped with a few keystrokes...

All the time and effort of our legends that forged the way for this game to be its best...

Do not let their efforts be lost to the sands of time.

Save them for yourself, copy/paste, screenshot ...however you want to handle it, but keep the information alive and saved.

I spent most of the day doing just that so that I did my part so our legends knowledge can be passed on. 

Act now don't wait, for tomorrow may be too late.

'Ill see you in the funny papers'

COH/COV Forever

I've got a LAN server set up.  It's not nearly as much of an...experience as getting to play with everyone else (although the easy twinkage is nice), but I'm confident at this point that I will only go without CoX when/if I want to do so, going forward, one way or another.

I've got a LAN server set up.  It's not nearly as much of an...experience as getting to play with everyone else (although the easy twinkage is nice), but I'm confident at this point that I will only go without CoX when/if I want to do so, going forward, one way or another.

How did you do it? Is there an "easy setup guide" out there somewhere? If not, could you make one? O5khXA8.gif I would have PMed this to you, but it looks like you have your account setup to not take PMs.

I'm out.

Nothing has ever been able to replace CoH or its community for me. Losing it a second time would really be painful. I play other non-MMO games but CoH is the only online MMO I have ever truly loved.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

How did you do it? Is there an "easy setup guide" out there somewhere? If not, could you make one? O5khXA8.gif I would have PMed this to you, but it looks like you have your account setup to not take PMs.

I'd be very interested in this too.

Same here. 

As soon as there is an idiot-proof way for me to set up my own server, I intend to do just that.  I will happily play this game solo anyway, and while I will miss seeing everybody else's characters around, it would still be better than losing the game forever.

Pink Champagne (Emp/Rad)

Guide of Misguidance (Dark/Regen)

Same here. 

As soon as there is an idiot-proof way for me to set up my own server, I intend to do just that.  I will happily play this game solo anyway, and while I will miss seeing everybody else's characters around, it would still be better than losing the game forever.

Ditto, i'd be interested as well. 

Keep playing on a VM, local or otherwise, when I feel like it.

Generally though, while I love this game and all, far too many of the Internet posts I have seen for years show me there is a not small number of people that, IMO, tie a unhealthy level of thier own personal happiness to this game. This has not changed since it started, IMO.

The level of vitriol and drama around CoX is a bit much for me.

Even a post like this alludes to people doing drastic things if they cannot play. Too much Drama, IMO.

Like all things, just enjoy it while you can.

Just my nickel.

The level of vitriol and drama around CoX is a bit much for me.

I get what you're saying, but I've seen more drama over WoW changing the abilities of the water-running mount than anything that's gone on here since the first server was leaked. ;)

Hell, I see more drama in WoW over scheduled maintenance!!  Overall, the CoX community is remarkably chilled out.

I mainly want access to this game because I like it. If I lose it forever, I lose it forever... but why would I let that happen if there's a (relatively) easy way for me to keep on enjoying it?

Pink Champagne (Emp/Rad)

Guide of Misguidance (Dark/Regen)

I tried WoW after a friend begged me to go there. I HAD to fork over stipends/gifts to my guild and HAD to participate in raids. "Gather 45 sticks and get killed over and over" was not my idea of fun....too much like work, so I quit. If a game is not fun to play, what's the point?

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

Hell, I see more drama in WoW over scheduled maintenance!!  Overall, the CoX community is remarkably chilled out.

On the CoX official forums, I was once told "emotion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> logic" and that I was basically the devil for trying to live my life based on logic and data over emotion.

I was once told in game that the developers that created the market interface should be killed...not in jest, or sarcastially, I asked.

The game means a _lot_ to me, had plenty of fun times...still is just a game.

Now, the community is tasking a few people with acting like full AAA game runners, with little to no experience, running servers they barely understand, and the drama continues to unfold - these guys don't even understand business and copyright laws enough, they think an LLC/non-profit will protect them, many still think money changing hands matters, etc.

I don't see it ending well, but will keep rooting for them. The moment it seems 'legit' to run servers, I will, been in IT business a couple decades, cannot risk my career until I get more confirmation, personally.

But, since I watched someone lose everything over playing Asheron's Call call too much, I cannot help but be concerned about people who place so much of thier well-being on a video game. 

None of this is any different than any other rogue server community. :)

Yep, this is pretty much my attitude. I'm enjoying being able to play CoX again but if it goes away I'll survive. I'm not super interested in setting up a personal server, the appeal of CoX to me was always in the fact that it was a multiplayer game, I'm not really interested in a solo-only version.

Defender Smash!

Yep, this is pretty much my attitude. I'm enjoying being able to play CoX again but if it goes away I'll survive. I'm not super interested in setting up a personal server, the appeal of CoX to me was always in the fact that it was a multiplayer game, I'm not really interested in a solo-only version.

Pretty confident that unless NCSoft really puts in the effort, rogue servers will exist forever. Player numbers per server are anyones guess, but IMO there will always be servers now that the Internet has the goods.

Plenty of private servers up for small groups already running on private VPNs etc.

In the end, it's a game...

A very fun, addictive, brings out many things I didn't know I enjoyed...game

But still a game...

...that doesn't help my existing gaming "to be completed" list. >.<

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)