Epic and Power Pools

ILIWAPCT

Back in the day we had Patron Power Pools after you did their respective arc. Low and behold a alt hit 35 and instead of being able to pick another Power Pool it only shows Epic. Looking up on Wiki I find it gets deeper, Patron Power Pools are contraindicated. If I understand correctly after 35 you're locked out of new Power Pools. What happens if this alt selects a Epic Power and then completes a Patron Arc?

Thank You

17 minutes ago, ILIWAPCT said:

Back in the day we had Patron Power Pools after you did their respective arc. Low and behold a alt hit 35 and instead of being able to pick another Power Pool it only shows Epic. Looking up on Wiki I find it gets deeper, Patron Power Pools are contraindicated. If I understand correctly after 35 you're locked out of new Power Pools. What happens if this alt selects a Epic Power and then completes a Patron Arc?

Thank You

First, you aren't "locked out" of any pools at higher levels... you DO have a limit of 4 pools + 1 Epic or Patron pool.  As you noticed the Epic/Patron pools open at 35, you can immediately select an Epic pool.  If you want to use a Patron pool you first need to do the mission arc of one of the Villain patrons to unlock them.

For a Patron, first you need to be either a Villain or Rogue (See Null the Gull in Pocket D if you're a hero).  Then, go to Grandville and pick a patron arc, I can't recall the first contact, I think he's just outside the door to the villain City Hall?  Anyway, he'll have you read plaques inside the Hall and pick a Patron, then he'll send you to talk to that patron.  Run the mission arc and you'll unlock all the Patron pools on that character.  Keep in mind you can have EITHER one Epic pool OR one Patron pool on your character... plus up to 4 regular power pools.

If you've already taken an Epic power and then run a Patron arc then you can respec your character and have your choice.  You can have one or the other but not both, and you can pick which one you want when you respec so you can always change your mind. 

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

First, you aren't "locked out" of any pools at higher levels... you DO have a limit of 4 pools + 1 Epic or Patron pool.  As you noticed the Epic/Patron pools open at 35, you can immediately select an Epic pool.  If you want to use a Patron pool you first need to do the mission arc of one of the Villain patrons to unlock them.

For a Patron, first you need to be either a Villain or Rogue (See Null the Gull in Pocket D if you're a hero).  Then, go to Grandville and pick a patron arc, I can't recall the first contact, I think he's just outside the door to the villain City Hall?  Anyway, he'll have you read plaques inside the Hall and pick a Patron, then he'll send you to talk to that patron.  Run the mission arc and you'll unlock all the Patron pools on that character.  Keep in mind you can have EITHER one Epic pool OR one Patron pool on your character... plus up to 4 regular power pools.

If you've already taken an Epic power and then run a Patron arc then you can respec your character and have your choice.  You can have one or the other but not both, and you can pick which one you want when you respec so you can always change your mind. 

Thanks, so it was 4 pools that did me in. It's been so long with a combination of new stuff and if course things I've forgotten. I haven't been in a mad rush to 50 so the level 35 epic pool caught me off guard. I'll be ready for it on my other alts. But it also complicates things now I have to compare and test it with power pools on top of everything else.

Big O notation!

1 minute ago, ILIWAPCT said:

Thanks, so it was 4 pools that did me in. It's been so long with a combination of new stuff and if course things I've forgotten. I haven't been in a mad rush to 50 so the level 35 epic pool caught me off guard. I'll be ready for it on my other alts. But it also complicates things now I have to compare and test it with power pools on top of everything else.

Big O notation!

It all depends on your character and build, I generally go with the Epic pools unless the character's a Blaster/Defender type going for S/L defense, then I get the Scorpion Shield.  My melee characters usually grab Pyre Mastery for a ranged attack and another AOE unless they have severe endurance issues, in which case Energy is a consideration.  Most of the time however endurance issues are solved by level 35.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Nitpick with a bit more detail: you don't need to run the arc yourself, you just need to be on a team that finishes the last mission of the first patron arc. That will award a badge (there is one for each patron), and unlock the patron pools.

I haven't tested to see if you can get the badge on a Vigilante, but I joined a team that was running the arcs on my first character once Homecoming went public and got the badge at level 28; I was able to take the patron pools as soon as I hit 35.

1 hour ago, ILIWAPCT said:

Just checked the wiki and now I understand why I was so confused.

Epic Power Pools were blue side while Patron were Red.

Then everything got merged!

Sorry, that's been the way things were since CoV launched, and the merge came with Going Rogue so I didn't think about the disparity.  It's always been the case that Blue = Epic and Red = Patron; Going Rogue made it possible to choose between them with a little effort.

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, Call Me Awesome said:

Sorry, that's been the way things were since CoV launched, and the merge came with Going Rogue so I didn't think about the disparity.  It's always been the case that Blue = Epic and Red = Patron; Going Rogue made it possible to choose between them with a little effort.

Issue 18 unlocked Epic for Red Side

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Issue_18#Epic_Power_Pool_Proliferation