popmenu-related crash (RESOLVED. character-syntax issue.)

Drastic

Reproducible-on-my-game crash, specific popmenu-invoking related if a bit of a headscratcher.

I have a simple teleports.mnu popmenu set up that just has the useful zone teleport powers I currently have, bound to the O key (specifically "/bind o popmenu teleports"). I got round to grabbing the Ouroboros badge to add that power in, and originally had the menu like so:

//
Menu "Teleports"
{
Title Teleports
Option "Pocket D &w" "powexec_name Pocket D VIP Pass"
Option "Zone 8888 &e" "enterbasefrompasscode ZONE-8888"
Option "Ouroboros &q” “powexec_location forward:8 Ouroboros Portal“
}

That still worked for Pocket D and the Zone-8888 transport hub ones, but the Ouro Portal entry didn't work; it wasn't displayed as "Ouroboros &q" as I'd expect, it wasn't firing off the portal etc. (Intent was to instantly cast it a bit ahead of character; I expect I was making some kind of syntax error, or that popmenu uses don't like powexec_location, but whatever it was, I wasn't taking close enough notes to report that aspect of it usefully. Users, right?!)

So, exit game, edit the .mnu again, to this:

//
Menu "Teleports"
{
Title Teleports
Option "Ouroboros &q” “powexec_name Ouroboros Portal“
}

Originally testing to see howzabout the hypothesis that it just didn't like powexec_location. Launch game, once inside, I hit the O key and boom, instant crash. (This crash I did use the send-crash-report options, so presumably the team has that dump now.) I load back into the game thinking it's likely a fluke thing that just happens sometime (I remember live!). This time I wait a bit longer, hit O again to test the popmenu; boom, crash.

Trigger a couple more crashes confirming that it's that specific popmenu--I've got a couple others for that character's mastermind pet summoning and control, and inspiration-combining, and they all work as expected. It's that specific teleports popmenu that does it every time.

I edited the teleports.mnu to this:

//
Menu "Teleports"
{
Title Teleports
}

and load back in. Now everything works! It certainly seems like it's the Ouro line that's the culprit, and figure I'll confirm. Back out, mnu editing:

//
Menu "Teleports"
{
Title Teleports
Option "Ouro &q" "powexec_name Ouroboros Portal"
}

Back in, and now the popmenu comes up crash-free and Ouro portal is available. Weird hidden character effect in the game-crashing one, maybe; I don't have a utility immediately available that can check that or compare the working version versus the crashes-every-time versions to confirm or rule that out. It's possible the game crashing one is just cursed!

I've attached the three stages of the teleports.mnu file I used, filenames changed naturally.

teleports.mnu crashesgame.txt teleports.mnu nocrash.txt teleports.mnu thisworksnow.txt

Edited by Drastic
title change for future history use

• City Council
5 minutes ago, Drastic said:

//
Menu "Teleports"
{
Title Teleports
Option "Ouroboros &q” “powexec_location forward:8 Ouroboros Portal“
}

I think I see the issue. Look carefully at the quote marks on the third line. Hint: Those aren't quotes.

00000000: 4f70 7469 6f6e 2022 4f75 726f 626f 726f  Option "Ouroboro
00000010: 7320 2671 e280 9d20 e280 9c70 6f77 6578  s &q... ...powex
00000020: 6563 5f6c 6f63 6174 696f 6e20 666f 7277  ec_location forw
00000030: 6172 643a 3820 4f75 726f 626f 726f 7320  ard:8 Ouroboros
00000040: 506f 7274 616c e280 9c0a                 Portal....

• Thanks 1

Mystery solved, curse lifted! That was also why the powexec_location variant wasn't working.

Moral of the story: when copy-pasting and modifying other folks' past popmenu examples, be very careful those are plaintext quote marks.

Thanks!