Thoughts on Savage/Regen?

Rumors

So, I rolled up a Savage/Regen Scrapper and am currently sitting at level 25.  It's pretty fun so far, what with how endurance light it is and how Savage basically has a full attack chain in the teens using Prestige enhancements.  But, I'm turning my eyes to the future and trying to figure out what I'll be doing long term.  I didn't ever take Regen past low teens on live, and I can't find any modern resources for it, just some old guide from like... I3.  And Savage... yeah, nada.

So, Savage melee, anyone experienced this high level and/or with IOed builds?  I'm thinking I'll probably be dropping the cone, since it feels like a single target attack anyway, and try to fill with the other three building melee attacks.  I just got Hemmorage and it's not impressing me yet.  What I hoped for something to use in the ST attack chain seems more like a big DoT for bosses and above.  Is there something I'm missing there?

Regen... seems a bit easier.  I feel like it might need some shoring up, but Tough might not be enough and I feel like I'm overlooking some resistance power somewhere.  Could also go slotting for defense instead, but that seems like it'll be a huge investment to get anywhere.  I'm also wondering if it'll be possible to get permanent Instant Healing.  I don't have the skill yet, but it really seems like something I'll want.  Is Moment of Glory worthwhile or no?

I'm not asking for anyone to make me a build right now.  If you want to, or already have one you can share, that'd be cool.  But mostly asking so I have more of a direction on my own tooling around with Pines.

Resistance slotting is easier, but offers you a lot less than Defense slotting.  You can softcap regen to all types or positions, but you can't eke out an equivalent amount of across-the-board Resistance.  Resilience and Tough are the only meaningful non-Incarnate Resistance powers available to you; take both, and combined with the Scaling Resist and +5% Resist All IOs, you'll be in a pretty solid place resistance-wise.

I'm confused by the in-game powers data and Pines data on Savage Melee.  I don't think I can answer those questions yet.

Perma Instant Healing isn't possible pre-Incarnate.  I think it's marginally possible after, but you'd give up too much; at any rate, you generally don't need it on constantly.  Moment of Glory (certainly the best T9 of its type), similarly, is a power you use reactively -- Regen is a reactive set.

Aim for 75% S/L resist, 32.5% defense to either all positions or all types, permahasten, and as much maxhp as you can get.  Although you only have one functional pool choice (with three being Speed, Leaping, and Fighting) and I would recommend Leadership over Medicine, the Field Medic power from Medicine is potentially very interesting for regen.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Pines seems inaccurate on Savage.  For example, it says Shred consumes Blood Frenzy and gets bonuses for it, but in-game it instead just builds a stack when you use it and has no other special bonuses.

But, Savage basically gives Blood Frenzy on most attacks, which gives stacking +Recharge and Endurance Discount, up to ~20% each at max stacks.  Two of the moves drain Blood Frenzy to do more damage and get bonuses if used at five stacks at the cost of being Exhausted (unable to build stacks), although the set's Build Up instantly clears Exhausted and maxes out the stacks.  The spin has bigger range and Hemmorage has a strong DoT when used at max stacks.  It's pretty cool and does take a little more thought on using powers.  ...which is weird since you wouldn't think "Savage Melee" would be a thoughtful set.

Softcapping Regen sounds really expensive though.  Like, I remember softcapping positional BS/SR back on Live and it took like... 150-200 mil for the full build without using purples, PvPs, etc.  Or more.  No idea what that translates to in the current economy though.  I'm probably going to aim for something on the cheaper end (so, mainly, no Purples/PvPs/whatever else is new that's on the same tier). 

But, I take it the only skippable in Regen is the revive?

Legend, builds or no, what's your thoughts on Shred and Hemmorage?  And did you take the AoE spin attack (I forget the name) or skip it?

I can at least answer that on a macro level, since I have a level 20 SJ Scrapper as well.  Both sets are all about building stacks, but they use them in different ways.  Glancing at Paragon Wiki, SJ seems more single target focused since its top-end power is looks to be single target while Savage has a Shield Charge/Lightning Rod-esque seeming power (not there yet myself).  SJ's regular AoE comes later and is centered around the target while Savage is PBAoE.  Both also have very tiny cones at the same level.

Street Justice seems to be about building combo stacks with certain powers that are "Combo Builders" and then executing "Finisher" moves that consume the stacks for extra damage and effects once you have three combo stacks.  The stacks themselves don't seem to do anything.  There's a lot more builder and finisher options too.  SJ's Build-Up move sets you to max combo so you can execute a Finisher right away.  SJ can be a bit frustrating if you keep missing since you have to land hits to build combo and the stacks have a short duration, but fortunately a whiffed finisher won't take them all.

Savage Melee is all about building Blood Frenzy, which you can get up to five stacks with, each giving about a 4% Recharge and Endurance Discount for around 20% total at max (on Scrappers at least).  Effectively, it lets you attack and use powers much more quickly and much cheaper as long as you can keep it up.  It's supposed to have three moves that use Blood Frenzy according to Pines and Paragon Wiki, but Shred only builds it in-game, not sure which version is intended.  Using the moves that consume Blood Frenzy makes them do extra damage per stack and get additional effects if you had five stacks.  Using all five stacks puts you in an Exhausted state, where you can't build Blood Frenzy again for about 10-15 seconds (not timed it yet), so you have to decide if the effects are worth losing your buffs.  Fortunately, the Build-Up esque move, Blood Thirst, will both clear Exhaustion and give you max stacks.

Like SJ, you need to land hits to build/burn stacks.  The stacks seem to have a longer duration too.

Also worth noting, Savage's effects seem pretty lowkey, though that might be because it was never finished?  It lacks the same visual and audio impact of other sets.

For high level builds and performance and stuff...  I dunno yet, that's a while off for me.

I have been thoroughly enjoying Savage melee and currently have a 37 will all lvl 35 general IOs. My play time has mostly been in groups for TFs or missions so just keep that in mind. Currently I picked up almost everything to give it a shot but I will most likely spec out of shred and Hemorrhage. My attack is basically Savage leap in(builds 2 stacks) knock down boss with Vicious Slash ( 2 stacks) and maiming strike (1 stack)  then Rending Fury which will have a pretty beefy radius at 5 stacks. After that I'll pop Blood thirst to get my 5 stacks back and I can usually get 2 attack chains in so that I can try and maximize the up time of the recharge buff and either pop Hemorrhage for ST or Rending Fury if there is still mobs left.

Hemorrhage is ok damage and it's pretty heavy tick but honestly in groups I'm only seeing one or two ticks before everything dies anyway. If you're talking sets it might be worth keeping to slot some mules into it or keep it for an ST chain.

Shred is essentially shadow maul with a shorter animation and it builds 1 stack  It's ok if you want to get some extra AOE but you'd have to position to maximize the cone radius. I typically skip anything that keeps you in an animation for too long but I would say this is probably one of the better ones in the game in terms of time locked down.

Rending fury is awesome ! I would definitely not skip it but I'm also an AOE fiend.

Savage is very situational I like being able to switch my priority from building stacks to O shoot I'm exhausted ok might as well dump my heavy hitters. I paired it with Rad as it seems to do great with extra recharge the light attack can almost be chained by itself at higher recharge rates. I've been rolling with a kin and with full Blood frenzy and Beta decay I'm running around 150% recharge with hasten up and the attack chain is running smoothly with 2 lvl 35 recharge IOs slotted in each attack.

I'll link my IO build later, I can also post my set builds one will be going for all recharge and the other to get my defenses up to as close to 45 as possible. I'm Rusty but this too feels great Rad is cool for the extra recharge and the AOE blast that can fill the chain when your Exhausted to debuff enemies. Pines says blood frenzy has a healing bonus but I have not seen that in game.

My main was DM/ Shield Scap who could run the optimal pylon ST attack chain and this is feeling pretty pretty good so far !

All right, I put together a build to see what I could come up with.  It's meant to be a general purpose build (not soloing AVs, etc.) and on the cheaper end.  But, it's been soooo long since I touched builds I might have gotten unfocused in working on it and there's definitely probably a better way to do it.  Not sure Mids is 100% accurate on the sets that can be taken on Savage either, would need to get in-game and compare.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Sawyer Teral WIP: Level 50 Natural Scrapper

Primary Power Set: Savage Melee

Secondary Power Set: Regeneration

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Fighting

Ancillary Pool: Blaze Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Maiming Slash -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(3), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)

Level 1: Fast Healing -- NmnCnv-Heal(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(7), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(15), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(17)

Level 2: Savage Strike -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(7), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(9), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11)

Level 4: Reconstruction -- DctWnd-Heal(A), DctWnd-Rchg(23), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(23), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(25), DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(25)

Level 6: Quick Recovery -- EffAdp-EndMod(A), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(40), EffAdp-EndMod/EndRdx(40), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc(40)

Level 8: Vicious Slash -- CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(13), CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(13), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15)

Level 10: Dull Pain -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-Rchg(27), DctWnd-Heal(27), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(29), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(29)

Level 12: Blood Thirst -- AdjTrg-Rchg(A), AdjTrg-ToHit(42), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(42)

Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36), RechRdx-I(36)

Level 16: Integration -- Mrc-Heal(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17), Mrc-Heal/EndRdx(34), Mrc-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(36)

Level 18: Rending Flurry -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(19), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(21), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21)

Level 20: Resilience -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(37), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(37)

Level 22: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(43), LucoftheG-Def(46), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)

Level 24: Super Speed -- Clr-RunSpd(A)

Level 26: Boxing -- Empty(A)

Level 28: Instant Healing -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-Heal(31), DctWnd-Rchg(31), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(31), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(34)

Level 30: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(39), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(39), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(39)

Level 32: Savage Leap -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(33), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)

Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(45), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45)

Level 38: Moment of Glory -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), Ksm-Def/Rchg(43), Ksm-EndRdx/Rchg(43)

Level 41: Ring of Fire -- Empty(A)

Level 44: Fire Blast -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(46), Dcm-Build%(50), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(50)

Level 47: Fire Ball -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(48), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(50)

Level 49: Burnout -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Critical Hit

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- RgnTss-Regen+(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)

Level 1: Blood Frenzy

Level 0: Portal Jockey

Level 0: Task Force Commander

Level 0: The Atlas Medallion

Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve