A suggestion for the "Stuck in base portal" Bug

KingofMonkeys

Any experienced base builder or even base visitor has probably encountered the bug where one is trapped inside the base portal upon entry at some point or another. Building above the base is a wonderful, awesome feature in Homecoming, and has opened up many options for bases. This pesky- albeit somewhat uncommon bug can ruin a good base visiting experience. Players will be trapped inside the base portal with no way to gain access to the base, not even /stuck helps in this instance. The problem seems to occur if the portal is placed on the outside of any given room, and has any sort of object or surface nearby to possibly interact with it. Base items tend to shift up or down slightly as one exits and re-enters their base after editing, likely a side affect of the funky code.

As it stands the only way to fix this issue in-game is by moving the base portal object onto a "legit" surface inside a room or simply moving it out of the place it was stuck and then re-setting it where you want it. However, the bug can often times resurface many base loads later. Having access to /editbase 1 can alleviate the issue (via the method above), but it is quite a terrible buzzkill to visit a friend's base or come home to your own only to be trapped in the portal.

My solution, outside of completely fixing the issue via the coding entirely- would be to make the base portal object intangible. That means, any player could simply move through or out of the base portal because it does not prevent movement as the solid base object it is now. While I do not have access to the code, and understand that base code is spaghetti as is, perhaps it wouldn't be too difficult to simply change the parameters of the object so as players can simply move through the portal should the bug occur. Its a band-aid fix, but would allow players whom experience getting stuck inside the portal in certain bases to simply walk out as if no harm were done.

Edited by KingofMonkeys
  • Like 1

I haven't gotten stuck in the base portal in a long time, so I can't really test it, but I discovered that if you have a bind for enterbasewithpasscode for your base, if you use it while you're inside your base it ports you to the portal; I wonder if it would take you out of being stuck inside the portal.

40 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

I haven't gotten stuck in the base portal in a long time, so I can't really test it, but I discovered that if you have a bind for enterbasewithpasscode for your base, if you use it while you're inside your base it ports you to the portal; I wonder if it would take you out of being stuck inside the portal.

Havent tested it but its most likely the same issue with /stuck or whenever somebody enters said base with a bugged portal. Imagine using the insta teleport would probably still just plop you inside the portal while it is still bugged. As the "Walking from the portal" sequence only happens when the base portal is behaving like its supposed to.

Edited by KingofMonkeys