Dr. Mid-Nite themed character

RufusTFirefly

I’m trying to build up a character based on Dr. Mid-Nite from the JSA. I’m looking at a scrapper with MA/ninjutsu, taking the fighting toggles and some of the medicine powers, and debating leadership/CJ. Blinding powder is definitely an important part of the theme here. Any recommendations to realize this character?

Also, would a stalker be a better version of the concept?

• Like 1

I love this concept!  i love it so much that I already played on one on Live - Doc Darknight.  Sadly, I made one of the costume slots of the character as close to an exact duplicate of the Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite's costume as I could, apparently was so successful that I got reported for infringement, & was genericized. 😢

I do suggest the stalker, which is what I have here on Homecoming.  But you might consider Dark Melee instead of Martial Arts.  DM is very punchy, which was more of Dr. McNider's style than the kick-centric MA, alternate animations notwithstanding.  Also DA's DEF debuffs help reflect the effects of the Dr. Mid-Nite's blackout bombs, which made it harder for his foes to hit him in combat.

But really, just go with whatever you like - the good Dr. is one of the hidden gems of the Golden Age, & is well worth homaging.  Fun JSA fact: everyone knows that Hawkman never missed an issue of the original 40's run of the JSA in All-Star Comics, but once Dr. Mid-Nite joined the team when Green Lantern stepped down (after GL got his own title) McNider never missed an issue for 50 straight appearances, the only JSAer that could make that claim other than Hawkman.  After Hawkman's 55 All-Star appearances & the Atoms's 52, Dr. Mid-Nite's 50 is #3, well ahead of GL's 38 & the Flash's 37.  No bad for a man who was legally blind.

Edited by Mister Mass
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

13 minutes ago, Mister Mass said:

I love this concept!  i love it so much that I already played on one on Live - Doc Darknight.  Sadly, I made one of the costume slots of the character as close to an exact duplicate of the Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite's costume as I could, apparently was so successful that I got reported for infringement, & was genericized. 😢

I do suggest the stalker, which is what I have here on Homecoming.  But you might consider Dark Melee instead of Martial Arts.  DM is very punchy, which was more of Dr. McNider's style than the kick-centric MA, alternate animations notwithstanding.  Also DA's DEF debuffs help reflect the effects of the Dr. Mid-Nite's blackout bombs, which made it harder for his foes to hit him in combat.

But really, just go with whatever you like - the good Dr. is one of the hidden gems of the Golden Age, & is well worth homaging.  Fun JSA fact: everyone knows that Hawkman never missed an issue of the original 40's run of the JSA in All-Star Comics, but once Dr. Mid-Nite joined the team when Green Lantern stepped down (after GL got his own title) McNider never missed an issue for 50 straight appearances, the only JSAer that could make that claim other than Hawkman.  After Hawkman's 55 All-Star appearances & the Atoms's 52, Dr. Mid-Nite's 50 is #3, well ahead of GL's 38 & the Flash's 37.  No bad for a man who was legally blind.

My only quibble with using dark melee is that beyond the first 3 powers or so it starts getting pretty overtly “supernatural” looking (midnight grasp especially). Would street justice maybe work for the two fisted mystery man concept? It’d definitely be my choice if I were making Wildcat for example. I picked MA with the punchy animations mostly for the stuns which are kinda like being blinded. Shame that smoke grenade isn’t available in an ancillary pool though.

Edited by RufusTFirefly