Custom mission/TFs on your own server?

So to my understanding, setting up a server to host like a dozen people isn't a big deal. Is that so?

If it is, what is the viability of building a set of tools that would allow the development of custom missions/task forces?

Here is my thought process:

A super group sets up their own server. For story purposes, they can build their own missions/task forces and change the enviroment to suit their own respective stories. Perhaps they don't want Statesman to be dead, they swap the contact of Ms liberty back to statesman and update the text to match. Maybe they have a contact with Longbow that has a special mission for them. So they can make a toon or use an NPC, set it to be somewhere, type up the mission dialogue and use something like AE to build the mission(s) themselves, and set the launch.

Is this a viable idea or am I just dreaming?

I mean, I guess it depends on what you mean by "viable". In theory, sure. The source code is out there; knock yourself out.

I don't expect it will be quite that simple in practice though. Having the server's source code is one thing, having the expertise and internal content-development tools the original devs had at their disposal to change and improve upon it is quite another.

Having the server's source code is one thing, having the expertise and internal content-development tools the original devs had at their disposal to change and improve upon it is quite another.

I mean that's part of what I'm asking. Do we have those tools or Information? If not are there plans to get them or develop new tools? If we do have them, are they available for study?

The information is in the code. The tools, you have to make yourself with what you can learn from the code.

As for what you're asking for... isn't that essentially what Architect Entertainment is? What are you asking for that you can't already do with the Mission Architect?

I'm out.

There are no development tools.

Pay attention to what it's costing to run this place:  almost $3,000.00 per month (see https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,1361.0.html ).  Now you'd only have to run 1 server as opposed to several, but you're not running this on your home computer, and you're paying in excess of $1,000.00 a month to do it.  (Although I've heard rumors that there are a few private servers out there, so it's certainly possible.)

As for creating new content -- well, if you want to hand-code it I guess that's how it would need to be done.

• 2 weeks later

As for what you're asking for... isn't that essentially what Architect Entertainment is? What are you asking for that you can't already do with the Mission Architect?

Things like custom maps. Or Special In-game effects and cut scenes. Like when Recluse is turbocharged, or the scene when Reichsman is awakened.