Ice / Psi / Ice build feedback request - How well balanced for damage, control, team friendly buffs, and sturdiness?

EnjoyTheJourney

I'm interested in trying out an ice / psy / ice dom in end-game. This is my first attempt at an end-game dom build and hopefully it isn't a complete mess. I'm hoping to not waste a *lot* of inf on this build only to find it doesn't function well, hence this post requesting feedback.  

I believe I've gotten her to permadom without relying on incarnates. Her ranged defense is  softcapped, smash / lethal defenses are just over 41%, and energy / negative energy defenses are 37.5%. Quite a bit of damage should (hopefully) be screened out.  She won't be that strong against psi damage, ironically, but that seems tough to fix without weakening something important. The leadership pool should help teams out, at least in a modest way. I'm considering take "barrier" for her destiny incarnate, which should help to make teammates sturdier. Taking musculature (alpha) and assault (hybrid) will hopefully help to keep her damage respectable in teams. 

One key question to which I don't know the answer is how well her drain psyche and domination end refills can sustain her through the immense end burn associated with running arctic air a high percentage of the time. I may absolutely need Ageless as the destiny incarnate pick. Or not. 

I have one extra slot in mental blast at the moment which could be used anywhere, or left where it is. I'm not sure what to do with it. 

Feedback would be much appreciated!

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Head Cold: Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Ice Control
Secondary Power Set: Psionic Assault
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Ice Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Block of Ice -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Mind Probe -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(5), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(7), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(7), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Dam%(9)
Level 4: Telekinetic Thrust -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Hct-Acc/Rchg(11), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Hct-Dam%(13), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(15)
Level 6: Arctic Air -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(15), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(17), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(17), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(19), CrcPrs-Conf%(19)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), WntGif-ResSlow(29)
Level 10: Mental Blast -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Apc-Acc/Rchg(31), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Apc-Dam%(33), Empty(33)
Level 12: Ice Slick -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(29)
Level 16: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(46), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(46), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 18: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(A), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(21), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(21), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(23), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(27), GssSynFr--Build%(27)
Level 24: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 26: Tough -- GldArm-ResDam(A), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(33), GldArm-End/Res(34), GldArm-3defTpProc(34), GldArm-RechEnd(34), GldArm-RechRes(36)
Level 28: Subdue -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(37), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(37)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45), LucoftheG-Def(45)
Level 32: Jack Frost -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(39), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(39), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(40), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(40)
Level 35: Sleet -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(40), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-%Dam(43)
Level 41: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(43), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 44: Hoarfrost -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(45)
Level 47: Glacier -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(48), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(48), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(48), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(50), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(50)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Prv-Absorb%(46)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Partial Radial Improved Ally 
Level 50: Cryonic Core Final Judgement 
------------

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney
  • Like 1

Hi!!! Great build you got there. Just one thing i would modify.... your stamina. I would drop Winter Gift from Combat Jumping place it in stamina and your extra slot in mental blast i would place it there as well or up to you. But at least have 2 Perf shifter there as a minimum. I like to have 3 slots always.

Other thing you can think about: try to fit in your snipe. Is a great source for your DPS and your highest ranged attack...you will need it.

Other than that looks like a killer build to me. Good job!

Edited by serxiom

Thank you for your feedback!

After getting feedback on a blaster build, I did a bit of re-thinking and decided to put more emphasis on typed defenses. The build still has permadom, but now has 46.8% smash / lethal defenses, 40.9% fire / cold defenses, and 35% energy  / negative energy defenses. Positional defenses will probably only matter for psionic attacks (psi defense is 19.1%) and they are fairly well developed as well (27.8% for melee is the lowest, ranged and AOE are close to 36% each). 

The main drawback with the earlier build is that after a bit more experience playing the build it's clear that I'd like to play in melee most of the time to maximize psychic shockwave and drain psyche, as well as the quick animating single target melee attacks. So, in the end ranged defense is not as high a priority as it was earlier for me. Also, with a greater emphasis on fighting in melee range, the case for incorporating the snipe becomes weaker. 

One key improvement over the earlier build is endurance management, as in this revised build arctic air costs a *lot* less endurance to run. Perhaps having just one performance shifter +end IO is a bit easier to manage this way. 

One small purple inspiration will softcap all typed defenses but psionic and all positional defenses but melee, so even with zero buffs from teammates there is a "panic button" of sorts. 

I'd like to fit in the preventive medicine proc IO. But, I can't find a way to do it. 

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Block of Ice -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Mind Probe -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(25), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(27)
Level 4: Telekinetic Thrust -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Hct-Acc/Rchg(11), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Hct-Dam%(13), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(15)
Level 6: Arctic Air -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(7), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(9), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(11)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 10: Mental Blast -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Acc/Rchg(39), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dam%(40)
Level 14: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(15)
Level 16: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(17), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17)
Level 18: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(A), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(21), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(21), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(27), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(34), GssSynFr--Build%(36)
Level 26: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), Ags-Psi/Status(46), Ags-ResDam(50), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(50)
Level 28: Subdue -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(37), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(37)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(31), ShlWal-Def(31), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 32: Jack Frost -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(34)
Level 35: Sleet -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(46)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(40), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Obl-%Dam(43)
Level 41: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(42), Rct-Def/EndRdx(42), Rct-Def(42)
Level 44: Hoarfrost -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(50)
Level 47: Glacier -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(48), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(48), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(48)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
------------

The following version is even better because a place for a force feedback proc has been found and key defense percentages are higher (especially AOE and fire / cold defenses, and also fire / cold resists, which is helpful). The drawback is less damage in the single target hold and a small drop in a few other defenses. Accuracy is a bit lower than for other powers for telekinetic thrust, as well, but it should still be in a reasonable place overall. 

I'll probably need Ageless (Destiny incarnate) to make this work, either way. But, I'm fine with that. 

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Block of Ice -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 2: Mind Probe -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Hct-Acc/Rchg(7), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Hct-Dam%(9)
Level 4: Telekinetic Thrust -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(9), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(11), FrcFdb-Rechg%(13), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(13)
Level 6: Arctic Air -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(15), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(23), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(25)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 10: Mental Blast -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Apc-Acc/Rchg(27), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(29), Apc-Dam%(29)
Level 14: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(15)
Level 16: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(17), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(A), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(21), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(21), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 22: Tactics -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A)
Level 24: Kick -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(36), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(37)
Level 26: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), Ags-Psi/Status(33), Ags-ResDam(34), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(34)
Level 28: Subdue -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(33)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(40), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(40), ShlWal-Def(40)
Level 32: Jack Frost -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(37), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(37), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(39), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(39)
Level 35: Sleet -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(50), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(50)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(43), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Obl-%Dam(46)
Level 41: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(42), Rct-Def(42), Rct-Def/EndRdx(42)
Level 44: Hoarfrost -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(45), Prv-Absorb%(45)
Level 47: Glacier -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(48), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(48), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(48)
------------

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

After getting feedback on a blaster build, I did a bit of re-thinking and decided to put more emphasis on typed defenses. The build still has permadom, but now has 46.8% smash / lethal defenses, 40.9% fire / cold defenses, and 35% energy  / negative energy defenses. Positional defenses will probably only matter for psionic attacks (psi defense is 19.1%) and they are fairly well developed as well (27.8% for melee is the lowest, ranged and AOE are close to 36% each).

Wow! Great builds both. Very smart IOs selection and def bonuses. Last build looks great. Congrats! You fot it down. 

• 4 weeks later

I'm wavering between the ice / psy / ice build given above and a dark / psy / ice build that's given below. Feedback would be most appreciated on which build is likely be sturdier / do more damage / have better control, all that good stuff. 

Here is the dark / psy / ice build:

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.1
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Duke of Grey: Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Darkness Control

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- GldJvl-Acc/Dmg(A), GldJvl-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech(11), GldJvl-Dam%(13), GldNet-Dam%(13), CldSns-%Dam(15)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 2: Mind Probe -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), Hct-Acc/Rchg(3), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Hct-Dam%(11), GldStr-%Dam(34)
Level 4: Telekinetic Thrust -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(7), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(9)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(15), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(17), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 10: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(21), ShlWal-Def(25), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(25)
Level 12: Heart of Darkness -- SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprDmnGrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprDmnGrs-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(31), SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(34)
Level 14: Super Jump -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 16: Mental Blast -- SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(19), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(46), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- PrfShf-End%(A), ThfofEss-+End%(36), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(36), ThfofEss-Acc/Heal(37), ThfofEss-Acc/EndRdx/Heal(42)
Level 22: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(23), RctRtc-ToHit(48)
Level 26: Shadow Field -- UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(A), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(27), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(27), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(31), UnbCns-Dam%(31)
Level 28: Subdue -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Apc-Acc/Rchg(29), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Apc-Dam%(45)
Level 30: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(36), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(42), GldArm-3defTpProc(43), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(50)
Level 32: Umbra Beast -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), SlbAll-Build%(34)
Level 35: Psionic Lance -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(37), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(37), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), StnoftheM-Dam%(42)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Arm-Dam%(40), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(40)
Level 41: Sleet -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(45), Rct-Def(45), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(43), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 50: Musculature Total Radial Revamp 
Level 50: Seers Radial Superior Ally 
Level 50: Rebirth Radial Epiphany 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
------------

I lean more towards S/L defense and Ranged defense if the build allows for it. The reason this combination is better than pure typed defenses is that a lot of the crippling debuffs (carnie ring mistress, tarantula mistress, etc..) are ranged and don't have a type. Just because you are in melee doesn't mean ranged defense is not useful, a few ranged -def attacks that may not carry a s/l component and your S/L defense is next to nothing.

Here is my Grav/Psi/Ice build to give you some ideas, I could have dropped the flight pool for leadership for slightly more defense but I'm a slave to concept.

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Scarlett Schwerkraft: Level 50 Science Dominator
Primary Power Set: Gravity Control
Power Pool: Flight

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Lift -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(13), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(15), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25)
Level 1: Psionic Dart -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Gravity Distortion -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5)
Level 4: Super Speed -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 6: Propel -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), Apc-Acc/Rchg(7), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Apc-Dam%(9), FrcFdb-Rechg%(17)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(15)
Level 10: Telekinetic Thrust -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(13), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(17), FrcFdb-Rechg%(31)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 18: Gravity Distortion Field -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(19), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(19), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(21)
Level 20: Drain Psyche -- PreOptmz-Acc/Rech(A), PreOptmz-EndMod/End(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(23), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/Rech(27), PreOptmz-EndMod/Acc/End(45), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(45)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(25), UnbGrd-Max HP%(27)
Level 26: Wormhole -- SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(A), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(34), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(36), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(37)
Level 28: Crushing Field -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(29), Artl-Dam/Rech(29), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(33), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(33), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(33)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(31), ShlWal-Def(31), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(34)
Level 32: Singularity -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(43), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(43), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(50)
Level 35: Sleet -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/End(36), Artl-Dam/Rech(36), Artl-End/Rech/Rng(39), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(40), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng(45)
Level 38: Psychic Shockwave -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(40)
Level 41: Frozen Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(42), Rct-Def/EndRdx(42), Rct-ResDam%(42)
Level 44: Ice Storm -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(46), Rgn-Knock%(46), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(48)
Level 47: Psionic Lance -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(48), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(48), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50), StnoftheM-Dam%(50)
Level 49: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 0: Born In Battle
Level 0: High Pain Threshold
Level 0: Invader
Level 0: Marshal