[How to] Telekinesis as a Cone Facing power

Redlynne

This was posted in the Controller forum, but I'm cross-posting it here for ease of reference for staff.

4 hours ago, Redlynne said:

In order to implement a change to Telekinesis in order to switch from anchored Target AoE to being an anchorless Cone power, here is how I would rewrite the parameters for Telekinesis, with the changes highlighted in font size increased bold text for ease of access and clarity and obviousness.

Telekinesis

Level: 12

Type: Toggle

PvE damage scale: 0.000000

Accuracy: 1

Modes required:

Modes disallowed: Disable_All, Defiant

Range: 50 feet

Activate period: 0.5 seconds

Interrupt Time: -

Cast time: 1.13 seconds

Recharge time: 60 seconds

Endurance cost: 1.56

Attack types:

Effect Area: Cone

Radius: 50 feet

Arc: 15 degrees

Max targets hit: 10

Entities affected: Foe

Entities autohit: Foe

Target: Caster

Target visibility: Line of Sight

Notify mobs: Always

Enhancements allowed: Endurance, Hold, Range, Recharge Reduction

Invention Sets allowed: Hold, ATO

Self:

Target:

• bullet_black.pngPvEStacking 1.397s Held (mag 3)
  • bullet_black.pngPvEStacking 1 Repel for 0.75s
  • bullet_black.pngPvPStackingSuppression 0.75s Held (mag 3)

Additional explanation (and obligatory WALL OF TEXT CRITS YOU!!!) showing methodology for computing equivalencies between Target AoE and Cone versions of Telekinesis can be found in the original post HERE.

And yes, there are ... implications ... in changing Telekinesis from a 10ft 360º Target AoE into being a 50ft 15º Cone power, which I lay out in the original post in the Controller forum (for anyone who is interested in reading up on that).

I would like to think that the above edits (8 in total, 3 of which are slotting related) are within the capabilities of the present staff for Homecoming ... and that this change could be applied to Controller and Dominator versions of Telekinesis with "no fuss, no muss" in less than 10 minutes worth of powers database editing.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

15 degrees feels extremely narrow.

I get that the existing power isn't a tremendously wide arc, but I can MOVE with the existing power if I need to pick up things not already in the arc of effectiveness.

Could we at least go a 30 degree arc?

Having TK as an auto-hit toggle is very nice in that I can maintain it theorectically forever if I need additional hold mag.

I acknowledge, the end cost of the toggle is substantial, but a Mind/Kin can sustain that end drain for an awful long time. 

Still, there would be a big boost to convenience in being able to position myself, click activate, and move onto the next thing.

The hold durations look... short.... to me.  I'm assuming it will make more sense after I read the other thread.

EDIT  --- now that I've actually read the other thread -- now it makes more sense

• it's not a click one and done cone power.
  • it's a click and then periodic continual endurance cost to maintain the cone, until you use the temp power you propose to kill.  So basically, a toggle-cone.
  • also, I'm okay with the arc now, given that yes, I see that I COULD change my position and facing if needed.

It could be irksome if i need to speed boost or other buff to allies while maintaining TK, but that's just different headaches and it at least wouldn't repel for forever.

Edited by MTeague

29 minutes ago, MTeague said:
  • it's not a click one and done cone power.
  • it's a click and then periodic continual endurance cost to maintain the cone.  So basically, a toggle-cone.

Right.  It's still a toggle ... it's just a Cone instead of a Target AoE.  The 15º Cone angle is an attempt to keep the area of effect equal(-ish) to the legacy power (see linked other thread for math computations for how I got to that answer).

It could be irksome if i need to speed boost or other buff to allies while maintaining TK, but that's just different headaches and it at least wouldn't repel for forever.

Right ... different challenges with using the power as an anchorless Cone.  It would basically be a case of once you've got Telekinesis actively Holding $Targets you need to keep your focus on them, rather than shifting your focus around (such as buffing teammates and so on).

until you use the temp power you propose to kill.

The temp power power that kills Telekinesis is a PvP only thing, and it's in the original power (see the linked City of Data page) and has been since PvP was introduced.  I didn't add that (and I'm also not advocating changing that either).

Edited by Redlynne

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.