Melee with pet powers?

Mythus54

Basically not sure if I can make the character I want. I want to be able to do melee combat with some pets. All I've looked at give me ranged weapons, though. Ninja gives bow, demons an energy thing, zombies give magic, etc.

I'd love to do some kind of "dread knight" or "ninja master" that wades into melee with my pets.

Nothing like that exists yet, unfortunately.

I was thinking it would be really cool if there were an archetype that had a primary akin to the Dominator Assault pool, and a secondary that was a mix of pets, and support (in place of the ranged attacks currently with pets). Kind of a little more aggro focused MM, ya know?

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Some of the controllers has pets, but only the MM's are 'real' pet classes. A lot of them has at least some PBAoE in their secondary sets, but that's not melee. I suspect arachnos soldier is your best bet here. They get disruptor drones and melee powers. (In fact, they get extremely versatille.).

It isn't pretty, but I can think of one potential option for melee + pets.  There is a whole 'Fighting' power pool that provides a boxing style punch, a basic kick attack, and a melee AoE fist swing, with each power also buffing the other two and your basic brawl power.  So if you wanted to create a scrapper mastermind, you can pick a minion set, pick the minion as your first power, then ignore the primary direct attack powers and pick up the Fighting power set when you have the opportunity to.

The minion will need to carry you through the first couple of levels, but after that it should be lots of fun.

Thanks a lot! I'm new and a little overwhelmed by all the character options, but I've always been a sucker for pet jobs. I'm Kinda making and remaking characters and trying to find what I really want to play.

Would be so cool if we could get a Melee AT that replaces some power (maybe taunt or build up) for a T1 MM pet summon (like 3 -2 lvl mercs.) Such an AT would need to have lower damage than other melee, though, but somehow still force the character to engage on melee combat. Maybe their pets wont attack unless the player is attacking?

Problem I see here, though, is they would be kind of stuck on a theme, like, MA would summon Ninjas? And then Katana... Ninjas? I guess Martial Arts may need a new set of martial artist pets... Now I'm stuck with the image of a Martial Artist black belt hero and 3 "students" wearing the traditional gi... someone make this happen!