Ghost defenses

Possibly

First I want to say like so many others, I'm happy to return to this game after so long. People are amazing to bring this back.

But now comes the paralysis of choice.

I want to make a ghost character, and I want to do psychic melee as the primary, I'm just trying to pick the right secondary. Ideally the character should eventually look transluscent some times, though whether that's from the concealment pool or one of the defensive sets I'm not sure what would be the best choice.

Yes, I know stalker would allow it with the sneak but I was thinking more scrapper. (or even brute or tank if they have psychic too)

Any recommendations?

If your willing to take Concealment for thematic reasons, pretty much any set could be made to fit your theme.

That said, both /Dark and /Energy include stealth powers @20 and either one would work quite well for a 'ghost' type build.

/Dark includes some useful debuff options (Cloak of Fear and Oppressive Gloom), a a couple of nice "lifeforce stealing" self-heals/resurrects (Dark Regeneration and Soul Transfer). The only option would be the hazy clouds of darkness surrounding the character (though I think there is a minimal FX version - been a while since I played /Dark). It is mainly a +Res set though which may not mesh with your thematics as an insubstantial ghost.

/Energy has much less intrusive FX as standard but otherwise is a pretty standard +Def set (by Type rather than Positional). The only non-shield/auto +Def powers are a Self+End/+HP and a PBAoE End Drain that both come at fairly high levels. However, the fact that it is a +Def set could mesh better with your Ghost thematics.

I think Stalker would be a better choice as you fade in and out naturally as you go into combat and come back out.

Stalkers are more scrappery now than when they were first introduced. You do have a greater focus on single target as you trade a melee cone for your special stalker attack.  I'm currently playing a Psi Blade/ Willpower scrapper and I find it quite fun.

If you don't end up doing a stalker also keep in mind there are some stealth granting IOs that go into movement powers. You may be able to achieve the look you want by simply putting one in sprint and toggling it on for a fade out.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Stalkers can do Psi-Blade/Energy Aura. Actually, on paper, that looks like a pretty solid combo. You can tint the aura hideous spectral green like the ghosts in Croatoa or just keep it mild and wispy!

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!