Dark Dark Deender. Very high level advice on power picks.

Dafydd Hywel

Plotting a D/D Defender.

99% of time I will be solo.

I get that if soloing I could easily go Blaster and front load the damage but, I just love Defender Controller play. Locking stuff down and cutting it to bits. Also, if I DID ever team I figure the Defender has a tiny bit more versatity.

Travel will be TP with Acrobatics or Hover for KD mitigation.

Rest of the powers I am mulling over.

First though was I have the  Darkblast Gloom and Moonbeam just for some k8nd of attack chain.

THEN I wondered if The Black Wand could replace one of them or, even be added in? I don't know the numbers on the powers so the idea may well be more bath then good. Also, I am not 100 sold on it thematically anyway.

Tarpatch and Darkest Night are kind of mandatory as the first actual rebuffs.

THEN we get Darkpit or Howling Twighlight. As I see it I only really need one of them and it seems that HT has much more to give.

Not one for stealthing but, the resistances in Shadow fall can't be missed.

Now it gets weird for me.

Do I really need Tenebrous Tentacles AND Tarpatch?

Do I need both Fearsome Stare AND Petrifying Gaze?

Nightfall will obviously come in as another attack and debuff. Lifedrain will do likewise.

Right now, Torrent and Blackhole are out.

That leaves Blackstsr and Fluffy to finish.

Soooooo......is this a reasonable pick of powered for the plan?

All expert advice gratefully received.

Edited by Dafydd Hywel

First off, strongly recommend using Mids to plan out your build:   

To answer your questions:

Gloom and Moonbeam are pretty solid, especially with the quick-snipe mechanic (Moonbeam will get a green circle and you can fire it off instantly).    Even without this, the tohit debuffs in dark attacks will often allow uninterrupted use of snipe powers.

You absolutely want Tar Patch, as it is one of your core powers and debuffs damage resistance, thereby increasing your damage and that of all your allies.    Darkest Night is also fantastic, particularly on tough targets like bosses, Monsters or Archvillains.     

If you're only going to take one of them, take Howling Twilight over Dark Pit for sure.    Not only is it an AOE rez, but it's also an autohit stun and it's a powerful -regen debuff.     This is one of Dark Miasma's best powers.     Dark Pit is not terrible, but you generally want to combine it with other stuns.   

You want Fearsome Stare, it's an excellent crowd control power and as you mention you'll be soloing often this is something you absolutely want.     Petrifying Gaze is a hold, which is very important in very niche situations, but again if you're only taking one of these you want Fearsome Stare.    Outside of the Lady Grey TF or a Hamidon raid you won't *need* a hold specifically.   You could always pick up Pet Gaze way later in the build.   

Tenebrous Tentacles and Nightfall stack really well together, as they're both cones and cover about the same area, so TT will immobilize the enemies and then you do AOE damage over time with both powers.     This is a core part of the attack chain for my Dark/Dark and I recommend it highly.     Life Drain is a decent attack and heal, but you can generally sustain better with Twilight Grasp and that has the added benefit of healing your allies.    It's decent but not essential.  

Torrent can be modified with a KB-KD IO, but you have better options for control.    There's a case to be made for using this with Force Feedback, but generally this is a skippable power.   

Black Hole is even more niche and generally won't see use in team play at all as using it will more often than not just serve to annoy your team.     Decidedly skippable.

Always take Fluffy (Dark Servant).    ToHit Debuff is your first slotting priority for him as he does this passively all the time, then probably healing.    

Opinions vary on Defender nukes - I consider Blackstar worth taking, as it's a nice chunk of damage and a huge debuff.     And it looks cool.

I'd encourage you to start thinking about how you want to approach this build in terms of inventions, as that may further inform your choices to take or skip certain powers.    A Defense build is very good on a Dark since the Invention-based Defense stacks with your -ToHit debuffs.     Alternatively, a high Recharge build can be better DPS for soloing and gets your key powers (Tar Patch, Howling Twilight, Twilight Grasp, Dark Servant) up that much faster.     Furthermore, you can get KB protection from Inventions so there's no need to invest in the power picks for Acrobatics or Hover just for that reason (though certainly if you just like doing that you can).  

• Like 2

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

• 4 months later

I usually recommend people post their own builds to be analyzed and improved by the community, but I hope this gives you some ideas.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Maud the Mad: Level 50 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Dark Miasma
Secondary Power Set: Dark Blast
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Dark Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(3)
Level 1: Dark Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 2: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(5), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(5), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(7)
Level 4: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(A), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(7), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(9), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(9), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 6: Moonbeam -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(11), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(11), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), StnoftheM-Dam%(29), Dvs-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 8: Recall Friend -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 10: Howling Twilight -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-Stun/Rchg(19), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(36), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(37), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(40)
Level 12: Fearsome Stare -- GlmoftheA-Acc/Rchg(A), GlmoftheA-EndRdx/Fear(13), GlmoftheA-Acc/EndRdx(13), GlmoftheA-Fear/Rng(15), GlmoftheA-Acc/Fear/Rchg(46), SphIns-Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 14: Teleport -- Tim&SpcMn-EndRdx(A), Tim&SpcMn-Rng(15)
Level 16: Tenebrous Tentacles -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(17), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(37)
Level 18: Petrifying Gaze -- GhsWdwEmb-Acc/Hold/Rchg(A), EssofCrr-Acc/Hold/Rchg(40)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 22: Night Fall -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(23), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(25), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(37)
Level 24: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Shadow Fall -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(27), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(29), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(40)
Level 28: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(31), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(42), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(43)
Level 30: Gloom -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Dcm-Build%(48)
Level 32: Dark Servant -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(33), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(33), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(33), GhsWdwEmb-Acc/Hold/Rchg(36)
Level 35: Dark Consumption -- PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(46), PrfShf-Acc/Rchg(50), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(50)
Level 38: Blackstar -- Obl-Dmg/Rchg(A), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(39), ClvBlo-Dmg/Rchg(39)
Level 41: Dark Embrace -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(43), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx(45)
Level 44: Soul Drain -- ClvBlo-Acc/Rchg(A), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 47: Life Drain -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 49: Soul Transfer -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Vigilance 
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(39)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), PrfShf-EndMod(21), PrfShf-End%(25)
Level 50: Spiritual Radial Paragon 
Level 1: Quick Form 
------------

There can be no defense like elaborate courtesy - E.V. Lucas

My AE arcs:

Ex Machina, the story of the Tin Mage Corps.  Arc ID #11781

• 2 weeks later

Here's a build I run.  I've made room for flight and afterburner due to personal character traits.  I'm very close to the cap on all positional defenses and most damage types (nice thing about dark, get close and you -to hit will do the rest).  This build has a lot of places you can customize to make your own, but by now, I'm sure you're seeing a theme in the powers people take and skip as well as ideas for slotting.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Solar Twilight: Level 50 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Dark Miasma
Secondary Power Set: Dark Blast
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Dark Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- TchoftheN-Heal(A), TchoftheN-Heal/HP/Regen/Rchg(3), TchoftheN-Acc/Heal(3), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(5), TchoftheN-Acc/EndRdx/Heal/HP/Regen(5), TchoftheN-%Dam(7)
Level 1: Dark Blast -- SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(9), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(11), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(11)
Level 2: Gloom -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(17)
Level 4: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(21), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(23), BlsoftheZ-Travel(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(25), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(25)
Level 6: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(27)
Level 8: Moonbeam -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(27), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(29), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 10: Shadow Fall -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(33), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(33)
Level 12: Howling Twilight -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Fearsome Stare -- SphIns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SphIns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SphIns-Acc/Rchg(34), SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb(34), SphIns-%ToHit(34), SphIns-ToHitDeb(36)
Level 18: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 20: Tenebrous Tentacles -- EnfOpr-Acc/Immob/Rchg(A), EnfOpr-Acc/EndRdx(36), EnfOpr-Acc/Rchg(37), EnfOpr-EndRdx/Immob(37), EnfOpr-Acc/Immob(37), EnfOpr-Immob/Rng(39)
Level 22: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A)
Level 24: Night Fall -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(40)
Level 26: Petrifying Gaze -- BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(42), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(42), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(42)
Level 28: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 30: Tough -- ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(43)
Level 32: Dark Servant -- BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(43), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(43), BslGaz-Acc/Hold(45)
Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def(45), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(45)
Level 38: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(46)
Level 41: Dark Consumption -- PrfShf-EndMod/Acc/Rchg(A)
Level 44: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(46), UnbGrd-Max HP%(46), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 47: Blackstar -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(50)
Level 49: Tar Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Vigilance 
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(19), PrfShf-End%(19), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(21)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 10: Shadow Recall -- Empty(A)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Assault Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Diamagnetic Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Core Superior Ally 
------------

Edited by Kazuuk