Program not responding

Wentz63

I've followed Dredd's guide perfectly and done everything I could think of to make it work, but every time I launch from Tequila, it just goes to a black screen and then tells me the program isn't responding. Any tips on what I could be doing wrong?

Try Looking through this.....

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I just installed Tequila on a brand-new Windows 10 machine and am getting the same thing.  I installed the VC++ 2015 redistributable as prompted, along with DirectX.

It's installed to D:\games\CoH, no permissions problems to worry about.  I've successfully run CoH on a Windows 7 machine in the past.

I have a multiple-monitor setup, so I'm able to kill it through Task Manager. 

I'd be happy to provide any debugging information if someone can help me/us...

Did you install the ,net Framework 3.5? It will not run without it.

A description of where it fails would also be helpful.

Marine X

36 minutes ago, Marine X said:

Did you install the ,net Framework 3.5? It will not run without it.

A description of where it fails would also be helpful.

In my case, I did install .Net 3.5 at some point, whether for this game or something else.  It fails after launching Homecoming (either the 64-bit or 32-bit, doesn't matter).  The small "Loading..." graphic in the CoH font appears for a second, then one of my monitors goes black (I assume it's trying to launch in fullscreen mode).  I have to kill it with Task Manager at that point.

The only other thing I can recall that causes a Black Screen is if openGL is out of date but that seems unlikely. Have you tried turning off Dual Screens?, then load it and then if it launches, re-enable, it. That would at least eliminate that being the source of the issue. I seem to remember being told that dual displays took some finesse back in the day, maybe it still does.

Marine X

33 minutes ago, Marine X said:

The only other thing I can recall that causes a Black Screen is if openGL is out of date but that seems unlikely. Have you tried turning off Dual Screens?, then load it and then if it launches, re-enable, it. That would at least eliminate that being the source of the issue. I seem to remember being told that dual displays took some finesse back in the day, maybe it still does.

This is a brand new Dell G5 gaming machine, high specs, so I doubt it's any limitation of the machine, but rather something with Windows 10.  Not sure.  I had it running fine on a dual monitor Windows 7 system, no problems.  I've had to replace it with this W10 machine, which is having the problems.  BTW, thanks for your suggestions! 

Comment - "When I launch the game, I only see a black screen."
  Response -"Sounds like you've swapped to a resolution your monitor doesn't support."

Found this on a different games support site, Do you recall the resolution that you had the game set to? Is it too legacy to be supported by a brand new Machine, perhaps?
If you have a friend with a Win7 PC that would let you load it on their PC, you could then view and adjust the settings if this is the case

Marine X

1 hour ago, Marine X said:
Comment - "When I launch the game, I only see a black screen."
  Response -"Sounds like you've swapped to a resolution your monitor doesn't support."

Found this on a different games support site, Do you recall the resolution that you had the game set to? Is it too legacy to be supported by a brand new Machine, perhaps?
If you have a friend with a Win7 PC that would let you load it on their PC, you could then view and adjust the settings if this is the case

Under W7 I would have been at max resolution as I am now (2560x1440) (these are the same monitors I used to use).  First thing I do with any game is switch to windowed (non-fullscreen) ASAP, usually 1440x1024 or somewhere around there.

Just updated to the latest Nvidia drivers, didn't help.  Grr.  I guess I'll have to give up and try again next time a new cityofheroes.exe is released.

Ok, I got it to work after going down the blind alley of trying to use Dependency Walker, Process Explore, and the Nvidia GeForce Experience utility.  I had noticed that whenever I launched the game, of my 2 monitors it's always the one on the right which goes black.  That one is actually #1, but is configured as #2 in windows (i.e. they're switched, I just did it through software rather than mess with the cables to get the left one to be #1 and the right one be #2).

Anyway, I temporarily put them back that way and launched the game.  It still started on the right-side monitor, but it ran successfully, in fullscreen mode!  I was able to go into the game, switch to Windowed, and exit.  I put my monitors back the way I want them and now the game runs as it should. 

Thanks Marine X for your suggestions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later
On 7/30/2020 at 6:42 PM, lakkal said:

Ok, I got it to work after going down the blind alley of trying to use Dependency Walker, Process Explore, and the Nvidia GeForce Experience utility.  I had noticed that whenever I launched the game, of my 2 monitors it's always the one on the right which goes black.  That one is actually #1, but is configured as #2 in windows (i.e. they're switched, I just did it through software rather than mess with the cables to get the left one to be #1 and the right one be #2).

Anyway, I temporarily put them back that way and launched the game.  It still started on the right-side monitor, but it ran successfully, in fullscreen mode!  I was able to go into the game, switch to Windowed, and exit.  I put my monitors back the way I want them and now the game runs as it should. 

Thanks Marine X for your suggestions!

Thanks! This was exactly my issue and couldn't figure it out before.