Water/Ninj - Soft Cap and Procs - build advice

EndOla

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for the assistance. I am loving playing my Water/Nin Sentinel. currently level 39. I feel like a run-and-gun scrapper from range. I'm just returning to the game since live. I love nonstop attacking, having a mix of attack types, positioning to maximize effects of the attacks, and I like being busy clicking stuff, thus ninjitsu, AND not being squishy. I have min/max'd once before in this game when I made perma-dom, but I still feel a bit novice in that arena.

I'm building for mostly solo play, but will team a lot. I'd like to use all the Sentinel specific sets, I'm not always willing to go crazy hunting money, thus trying not to go too crazy on ultra expensive IO - "luck of the gambler" being absent from my build. I hate running out of endurance thus the three slots in Stamina. Perma hasten isn't needed for me. I put shield breaker full set in Aqua Bolt. This puts a slight damper on my damage, but does a great job with my defensive holes. With this build all my positional defenses are above 45%.

I've never had procs as a goal for damage, so I'm not sure if I'm best using them in this build.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers.

End

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

MS Proc: Level 50 Science Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Ninjitsu
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- ShlBrk-%Dam(A), ShlBrk-Acc/DefDeb(3), ShlBrk-Acc/Rchg(3), ShlBrk-DefDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(5), ShlBrk-DefDeb(5), ShlBrk-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Ninja Reflexes -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(7), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(9), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(9), RedFrt-Def(11), RedFrt-EndRdx(11)
Level 2: Hydro Blast -- OppStr-Acc/Dmg(A), OppStr-Dmg/Rchg(13), OppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), OppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), OppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), OppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(17)
Level 4: Water Burst -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg(A), Dtn-Dmg/Rchg(17), Dtn-Dmg/Rng(19), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rng(21), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(21)
Level 6: Danger Sense -- Srn-Def/EndRdx(A), Srn-Def/Rchg(23), Srn-EndRdx/Rchg(23), Srn-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25), Srn-Def(25), Srn-EndRdx(27)
Level 8: Dehydrate -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(29), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 10: Kuji-In Rin -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Whirlpool -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg(A), Dtn-Dmg/Rchg(33), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Dtn-Dmg/Rng(33), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), ImpSwf-Dam%(34)
Level 14: Shinobi-Iri -- Srn-Def(A), Srn-Def/EndRdx(31), Srn-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Srn-Def/Rchg(45), Srn-EndRdx(46)
Level 16: Tidal Forces -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36), ToHit-I(36)
Level 18: Water Jet -- SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(39)
Level 20: Seishinteki Kyoyo -- RechRdx-I(A), EndMod-I(39)
Level 22: Kuji-In Sha -- RechRdx-I(A), Heal-I(39)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 26: Steam Spray -- SntWar-Acc/Dmg(A), SntWar-Dmg/Rchg(40), SntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SntWar-Rchg/+Absord(42)
Level 28: Bo Ryaku -- ResDam-I(A)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- DefBuff-I(A)
Level 32: Geyser -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(43), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(45), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(45)
Level 35: Maneuvers -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Kuji-In Retsu -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 44: Tough -- ResDam-I(A)
Level 47: Weave -- Srn-Def/EndRdx(A), Srn-Def/Rchg(48), Srn-EndRdx/Rchg(48), Srn-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Srn-Def(50)
Level 49: Knockout Blow -- CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(A), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(50), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Heal-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(46), EndMod-I(46)
------------

I guess Mids still lets people use both the regular version of the ATOs and the Superior.  That doesn't work though.  

You could change the set in Hydro Blast to just Thunderstrike.  That'll get you your ranged defense back up.  

You could slot Steam Spray in a similar manner to your other AoE powers.  

To make sure the procs trigger as frequently as possible you want to be mindful of recharge from enhancements, not sets. So in the case of Detonation you could replace the Damage/Recharge with Damage/Endurance/Range.  You're not maximizing procs for damage here.  You're just adding a proc here and there to add a little something extra.  Its a totally fine way to go, but if you wanted to get more extreme then it would also require a vastly different approach.  Since you stated that this is about the budget you're willing to tolerate there isn't a whole lot else I'd change.  

Your melee defense would be a little lower, but that could be fixed by a Steadfast or Gladiator's 3% defense to all.  I would not recommend using another Shield Breaker in a power like Dehydrate just to get your melee defense up.  Aqua Bolt is a pretty lackluster power and the loss of enhancement to damage isn't that big a deal.  Screwing over Dehydrate would be far more noticeable for very little gain.  Having 43% melee isn't that bad when enemies have to get in your face.  You have Whirlpool to slow, and knockdowns to reduce that threat.  It wouldn't be worth the hassle to hinder any of your big hitters for minor defense boosts. 

Money making is an understandable hurdle if you've just come back.  While money making can be pretty boring for some, there are a few guides in the Market subforum that you may find helpful.  As you run content, like Task Forces or complete stories, you can get reward merits.  You can use reward merits to either A) make money passively or B) bypass the high cost of market-based enhancements.  So while you don't have some of the more expensive IO's right now, and the ATO's tend to be in the same price range as things you've mentioned, you could afford it.  IOs sets like Winter or Purple ones run around 20+ million per slot.  Sounds like a lot now, but it probably won't be so bad months from now.  

Still, for a budget build what you have works within the confines of the limits set.  Also, keep the slotting in Water Jet and Geyser.  Neither of those Superior ATOs are game changing.  You could swap either, but its not going to move the needle much. 

Edited by oldskool

oldskool,

Thank you for the quick reply and, as expected, excellent information. Sad to see that I burnt 200 merits on ATO that weren't superior now that I know the limits, oh well.

I made the changes recommended. Gave me Def Melee 46.4%, Ranged 50.7%, AoE 50%, which is overkill, except for when debufffs kick in. I am curious how to maximize procs in AoE powers. Given I don't fully understand the way to leverage procs for damage, it is difficult to know what to do, thus I can't decide on the investment. The idea of having whirlpool out there proc-ing away is fantastic though.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

MS Proc: Level 50 Science Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Ninjitsu
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- ShlBrk-%Dam(A), ShlBrk-Acc/DefDeb(3), ShlBrk-Acc/Rchg(3), ShlBrk-DefDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(5), ShlBrk-DefDeb(5), ShlBrk-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Ninja Reflexes -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(7), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(9), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(9), RedFrt-Def(11), RedFrt-EndRdx(11)
Level 2: Hydro Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(13), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 4: Water Burst -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg(A), Dtn-Dmg/Rchg(17), Dtn-Dmg/Rng(19), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rng(21), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(21)
Level 6: Danger Sense -- Srn-Def/EndRdx(A), Srn-Def/Rchg(23), Srn-EndRdx/Rchg(23), Srn-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(25), Srn-Def(25), Srn-EndRdx(27)
Level 8: Dehydrate -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(29), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 10: Kuji-In Rin -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Whirlpool -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg(A), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rng(33), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Dtn-Dmg/Rng(33), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), ImpSwf-Dam%(34)
Level 14: Shinobi-Iri -- Srn-Def(A), Srn-Def/EndRdx(31), Srn-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Srn-Def/Rchg(45), Srn-EndRdx(46)
Level 16: Tidal Forces -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 18: Water Jet -- SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(39)
Level 20: Seishinteki Kyoyo -- RechRdx-I(A), EndMod-I(39)
Level 22: Kuji-In Sha -- RechRdx-I(A), Heal-I(39)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 26: Steam Spray -- Dtn-Acc/Dmg(A), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Dtn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rng(40), Dtn-Dmg/Rng(42), Dtn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), TchofLadG-%Dam(42)
Level 28: Bo Ryaku -- ResDam-I(A)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- DefBuff-I(A)
Level 32: Geyser -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(43), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(45), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(45)
Level 35: Maneuvers -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Kuji-In Retsu -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 44: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A)
Level 47: Weave -- Srn-Def/EndRdx(A), Srn-Def/Rchg(48), Srn-EndRdx/Rchg(48), Srn-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Srn-Def(50)
Level 49: Knockout Blow -- CrsImp-Dmg/Rchg(A), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(50), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Heal-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(46), EndMod-I(46)
------------

1 hour ago, EndOla said:

Thank you for the quick reply and, as expected, excellent information. Sad to see that I burnt 200 merits on ATO that weren't superior now that I know the limits, oh well.

I made the changes recommended. Gave me Def Melee 46.4%, Ranged 50.7%, AoE 50%, which is overkill, except for when debufffs kick in. I am curious how to maximize procs in AoE powers. Given I don't fully understand the way to leverage procs for damage, it is difficult to know what to do, thus I can't decide on the investment. The idea of having whirlpool out there proc-ing away is fantastic though.

You're welcome! 

Keep the ATO that you got with merits.  You can convert them into superior with a catalyst (each enhancement needs a catalyst).  Those can be a little pricey if your budget is tight right now, but you can basically make what you have into the purple (superior) quality version later on.  So all is not lost!!  

Maximizing procs is really just loading up on them.  If a power can take multiple procs, then you put those procs into the power.  Now that's really dumbing it down, but it is a general concept.  What's tricky about that strategy for slotting is the more procs you add the less general enhancement benefit you gain AND you lose out on set bonuses.  What I mean by general enhancement benefit is attributes like accuracy, endurance, recharge, and damage.  You could load a power with nothing but procs (if it had them available - not all powers do) but there is a high chance that your average chance to hit a higher level enemy would run in 60% range.  With that big of a hit gap the benefits of stacking damage procs becomes more of a liability than it does a benefit.  

Also, since you're missing out on direct recharge enhancement you'd want to have global recharge enhancement to ensure your attacks still have smooth transitions with little downtime.  The more recharge you gain the less likely you need to hold onto powers that don't compare well to your heavy hitters (since they're available more often).  So in order for a build idea like this to work you'd need to look for sources that can give you back everything you lose out on to procs.  [I'm also generalizing here.  There is a lot more to proc calculations than this and there is a guide for it around the forums.]

The easy, but expensive, way to build recharge back is stacking Luck of the Gambler with as many purple sets that make sense.  That's 5 x 7.5% from the LotGs and 5 x 10% from the purples (or as many as you can get away with).  There are potentially other sets to boost your recharge too and these might be sought after sets (Positron's Blast, Decimation, Preventative Medicine, Reactive Defenses, Red Fortune, and so on).  To build back some missing accuracy you can use powers like Tactics and/or an IO like the Kismet +6% to-hit.  

Ninjutsu can be tough to deal with on streamlining your attacks down by skipping set bonuses to allow for proc stacking.  Even then, Sentinels don't always do that well with trying to proc out every single attack.  Defenders/Corruptors may get away with that a little bit better since certain support sets dramatically alter the fundamentals I just listed (i.e., Time Manipulation or even Kinetics).  So Sentinels probably want to pick either their single-target powers or their AoE powers to get silly with procs.  Do not take that as gospel (anyone reading really) because I've seen the occasional build that goes all in.  Anyway, having a much higher budget for the stronger IO sets gives you a lot more wiggle room to close gaps while exploring alternative damage options like procs.  

All that said, its a mouth full, you do not need to do any of that.  If you are happy with what you have, then that is all that truly matters.  It can be fun to talk about min/maxing, but that is just a different side set of end game.  Costume slots and design being the other side of true end game. 🤣

Edited by oldskool