ice/DB assessment

kage1822

i'm not much of a tanker, usually have at most 1 in an mmo, what do you all think of this possibility?

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.96

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Tanker

Primary Power Set: Ice Armor

Secondary Power Set: Dual Blades

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Presence

Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Frozen Armor -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(3)

Level 1: Nimble Slash -- Acc(A), Acc(3), Dmg(13), Dmg(37), RechRdx(37), Taunt(40)

Level 2: Hoarfrost -- Heal(A), Heal(5)

Level 4: Hover -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(5)

Level 6: Ablating Strike -- Acc(A), Acc(7), Dmg(7), DefDeb(11), Dmg(11), RechRdx(15)

Level 8: Wet Ice -- EndRdx(A), RechRdx(9), RechRdx(9)

Level 10: Boxing -- Empty(A)

Level 12: Fly -- Flight(A), Flight(13)

Level 14: Taunt -- Acc(A), Taunt(15), Acc(37), Taunt(40)

Level 16: Permafrost -- ResDam(A), ResDam(17), ResDam(17)

Level 18: Typhoon's Edge -- Acc(A), Acc(19), Dmg(19), Dmg(34), RechRdx(36)

Level 20: Icicles -- Acc(A), Acc(21), Dmg(21), Dmg(34), RechRdx(34)

Level 22: Glacial Armor -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(23), DefBuff(23), EndRdx(25), EndRdx(25)

Level 24: Maneuvers -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(27), DefBuff(42)

Level 26: Energy Absorption -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(27), EndMod(29)

Level 28: Vengeful Slice -- Acc(A), Acc(29), Dmg(31), Dmg(31), RechRdx(33)

Level 30: Provoke -- Acc(A), Taunt(31), Acc(42), Taunt(43)

Level 32: Tough -- ResDam(A), ResDam(33), ResDam(33), RechRdx(43), RechRdx(43)

Level 35: Weave -- DefBuff(A), DefBuff(36), DefBuff(36), RechRdx(46), RechRdx(48)

Level 38: Sweeping Strike -- Acc(A), Acc(39), Dmg(39), Dmg(39), RechRdx(40)

Level 41: Hibernate -- Heal(A), Heal(42), EndMod(48)

Level 44: One Thousand Cuts -- Acc(A), Acc(45), Dmg(45), Dmg(45), RechRdx(46), RechRdx(46)

Level 47: Conserve Power -- EndRdx(A), RechRdx(48)

Level 49: Physical Perfection -- Heal(A), Heal(50), EndMod(50), EndMod(50)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Gauntlet

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- Empty(A)

------------

Kinda need Chilling Embrace if you are going to do actual tanking. It is one of the best taunt auras in the game, owing to the fact that it pulses at a rate four times faster than most Tanker taunt auras. It doesn't need any slots either; just an End Rdx in the one slot it comes with is fine.

Icicles is kind of a waste. It is a very Endurance-inefficient way to do damage, and isn't anything special for gaining aggro, especially compared to Chilling Embrace. I would ditch Icicles, get Chilling Embrace early, and redistribute the slots currently in Icicles to other powers.

Couple preliminary notes:

I will second grab chilling embrace, it's very good.  Also dual blades really wants you to have all your powers for combos.  Without power slice and blinding feint you lose access to your sweep (AoE knockdown) and empower (+tohit+damage) combo finishers.  Deciding to forgo access to a finisher is certainly something you can do if you want more power choices elsewhere, just wasn't sure how aware of it you were.

As a general rule for slotting, with SOs I would recommend 3 slots towards whatever you want heavily enhanced (ex: defense) 2 lv 50 generic IOs are almost as good but depending on how important the power strength is to your build it might be worth fitting in a third slot.  IO sets change...everything so I'm going to stick with SO/generic IO slotting advice.

Just going down the list as I see things:

Nimble slash-Especially after getting chilling embrace, I would scrap the taunt for something else (an end redux following your other attack slotting.)

Hover: Very minor defense boost, I would probably slot an end reducer or fly speed in the base slot and call it a day.

Ablating strike: With 2 acc in all your attacks you probably don't need the defense debuff, I'd swap it for an end redux to match your other slotting.

Wet Ice: End cost in the base slot and this ones good to go.  It already charges very fast if you lose the toggle.

Taunt: Honestly you can get away with just an accuracy in the base slot here, on any tanker really but especially on an ice tank.

Permafrost: If you aren't using permafrost to hold resist set IOs I'd leave it at the base slot.  You'll cap your cold resist even without slotting anything for resist and I'm not sure 2 slots for 7% extra fire resist is worth the opportunity cost.

Glacial Armor: I'd probably move the second end redux elsewhere

Energy absorption: I would try to max the recharge and defense boost on this one.  If you're in a big pack you won't really need the extra endurance per hit.

Provoke: You've already got taunt and if you grab chilling embrace, the best taunt aura around, this is overkill.  I'd swap this for chilling embrace and move the slots elsewhere.

Tough: I'd probably move the second end redux slot elsewhere.

Weave: same as tough

Hibernate: Hibernate is a panic button that ideally you won't need often.  Additionally once you start hibernate you can stay in it until you finish healing and even base strength will let you fully recover.  I'd probably leave this at the base slot and stick a recharge boost in it.

[edit] missed glacial armor initially