Dark/Energy help request

Agorazium

Wormhole is by far my favorite power in the game. Now that Fold Space is available as a substitute I wanted to see what other control sets worked well with the TP mechanic. Settled on Dark because of Heart of Darkness; also found that Combat Teleport is really nice for repositioning between cones and pbaoes.

I built for mostly ranged offense and defense since all my other doms are melee. My rotation currently (level 35) is Power Boost -> Fearsome Stare -> CTP -> Heart of Darkness -> CTP -> Living Shadows and blast away. I did skip the pets as they don't fit my theme or playstyle and I don't hear great things about Umbra Beast. I do have some questions since I've never played Dark/ or /Soul before:

-- I have Living Shadows slotted for -ToHit but is it worth it when the base debuff is so low?

-- Is it worth slotting Dark Consumption and Soul Drain as attacks?

-- Is Sniper Blast feasible as part of my attack chain?

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Darkness Control
Secondary Power Set: Energy Assault
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5)
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(43), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 2: Living Shadows -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(34), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(37), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(7)
Level 6: Possess -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(17), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(19), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(19), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(21), CrcPrs-Conf%(21)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(9), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(9), CldSns-%Dam(11), GlmoftheA-Dam%(11)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(34)
Level 12: Heart of Darkness -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(13), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(15), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(17)
Level 14: Teleport -- Range-I(A)
Level 16: Recall Friend -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 18: Teleport Foe -- RechRdx-I(A), Acc-I(23)
Level 20: Whirling Hands -- FuroftheG-ResDeb%(A), Arm-Dam%(25), Obl-%Dam(33), ScrDrv-Dam%(34), EndRdx-I(40)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(23)
Level 24: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(25)
Level 26: Shadow Field -- BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(27), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(27), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(29), Lck-%Hold(29)
Level 28: Total Focus -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg(A), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx(31), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), CrsImp-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Hct-Dam%(33)
Level 30: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Power Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Dark Consumption -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(36), Obl-Acc/Rchg(37)
Level 38: Power Burst -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dam%(40), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46)
Level 41: Soul Drain -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(42), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-%Dam(43)
Level 44: Sniper Blast -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(45), StnoftheM-Acc/ActRdx/Rng(45), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), StnoftheM-Dam%(46)
Level 47: Dark Obliteration -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(48), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), PstBls-Dam%(50), CldSns-%Dam(50)
Level 49: Dark Embrace -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(5)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(7)
------------

Edited by Sovereigne

Not gonna get too detailed in the slotting but the power choices for the Secondary match how I run my Energy dom.  I also take Soul Mastery but I skip Dark Obliteration in lieu of the Seer pet since I can skimp on the slotting, I do like to slot that resist shield well though, I see it as the best overall shield a dom can get.  

I'd also suggest something to ponder.  With Power Up being able to boost defense values it'll boost a long lasting defense click very well.  My Unleash Potential goes from 20% defense for all to 31% by just clicking Power Up prior.  It's an easy way to build out those defenses.  

I'm not too familiar with Dark Control but on a dom the goal is more to dabble in some important powers and then build yourself with pools and such.  The confuse, hold and aoe hold are a must and then a few others.  Dark seems like it'd pair nice with Energy.  

Edited by Mezmera

• 5 months later

I would like to re-visit this conversation.  I have a Mind/NRG that I am building and really liking but am planning on going Primal (for more dmg and theme).  My problem is I don't think Mind offers as much as Dark does and am thinking of rolling this character.  

Is it possible to build a Dark/NRG/??? to be good in solo, group, and have AV/GM potential?  I don't always have much time to play so while I do want to have more AoE for group play, I also need to be able to play solo at times

5 hours ago, Drederik said:

Is it possible to build a Dark/NRG/??? to be good in solo, group, and have AV/GM potential?  I don't always have much time to play so while I do want to have more AoE for group play, I also need to be able to play solo at times

Dark and Energy are both good performers, and together have a lot of synergy.

The main attraction here is the ability to use Power Up, which magnifies the -ToHit in Dark's powers. Specifically, Power Up is worth +74% -ToHit.

To put this in perspective, -ToHit is a Schedule B enhancement so two standard -ToHit IOs provide about +51% -ToHit. So even if you slot no -ToHit enhancements at all, as long as you hit Power Up first you'll still do more -ToHit than a fully enhanced Dominator who doesn't have Power Up.

(For some additional background, the reason this happens is that -ToHit, along with +Defense and +ToHit are all Schedule B enhancements. Schedule B provides the smallest amount of additional effect compared to Schedule A and Schedule C enhancements. However, Power Up and similar powers don't follow schedules, they multiply everything equally. So, any time you have a set with a lot of Schedule B effects, it benefits a more than it "should" from Power Boost type powers).

There are three other sets that have a Power Up effect: Icey, Earth, and Dark. Of these, Energy is generally considered one of the better performers, mainly on the strength of good single target damage performance between Sniper Blast, Total Focus, and Power Burst.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, oedipus_tex said:

Dark and Energy are both good performers, and together have a lot of synergy.

The main attraction here is the ability to use Power Up, which magnifies the -ToHit in Dark's powers. Specifically, Power Up is worth +74% -ToHit.

To put this in perspective, -ToHit is a Schedule B enhancement so two standard -ToHit IOs provide about +51% -ToHit. So even if you slot no -ToHit enhancements at all, as long as you hit Power Up first you'll still do more -ToHit than a fully enhanced Dominator who doesn't have Power Up.

(For some additional background, the reason this happens is that -ToHit, along with +Defense and +ToHit are all Schedule B enhancements. Schedule B provides the smallest amount of additional effect compared to Schedule A and Schedule C enhancements. However, Power Up and similar powers don't follow schedules, they multiply everything equally. So, any time you have a set with a lot of Schedule B effects, it benefits a more than it "should" from Power Boost type powers).

There are three other sets that have a Power Up effect: Icey, Earth, and Dark. Of these, Energy is generally considered one of the better performers, mainly on the strength of good single target damage performance between Sniper Blast, Total Focus, and Power Burst.

All good to hear, thanks for the info as I knew none of this.

I was hoping to see if there are any new builds as the ones I have found are from the past (not necessarily outdated by any means)

I am sure I will play with the builds to suit myself but as a returning player, a starting point is always appreciated

• 3 weeks later

Does anyone have any Dark/NRG builds they could share for comparison?  I am going to take a stab at building one myself in MIDS but dont have much of an idea on where to start.  I know what powers I want but am not married to any specifics except Sniper Blast / Power Burst / Total Focus / Whirling Hands.  I figure its a good mix of melee and range and Darks pets and -ToHit can allow me to stay in melee more and then for AoE the dark cones along with WH.  I was thinking Soul for the shield and I have Soul Drain on my Plant/Savage Dom and love it but would be open to any suggestions