Add an alias for /quittocharacterselect

Try "bind" or "macro"... 🙂

I used this quartet for years:

F9 "requestexitmission 1"
CTRL+F9 "quittocharacterselect"
SHIFT+F9 "quittologin"
ALT+F9 "quit"

(Actually, the last was "quit$$dialog_yes" for a quick bang-out to the desktop, but it was dangerous.)

But I find the following almost as efficient:

F9 "requestexitmission 1"
ALT+F9 "show quit"

F9 will take you out of any mission once complete; nice shortcut for when you try to solo that last boss and need to bail.

Alt-F9 brings up the quit menu, quick to choose the three game-exit options. Clicking "Exit Game" almost immediately brings up the "Confirm" button in the same place, just a slow two-click to bang on out.

I mean, if you're really typing out a slash command for a regular function, especially one this long, well... time to look at some binds and such. 🙂

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Okay... and you can leave it at that if you like.

But I'm a little confused on several points, so bear with me. Nothing personal intended with what follows, more an analysis/thought projection to all those who want "their" feature added to the game.

You have chosen to use "/camp" as a shortcut to get back to the character select menu, and want it coded into the game that way. Good enough as it goes, and we all have our personal wants for game changes. But unless I'm missing some mode of gameplay, this is quirky to the point of being unique, and has a wide range of potential solutions short of having the game modified.

Which leads to the following thoughts —

1. I can't make switching alts line up with "camp" as a label/mnemonic at all. So the usefulness of this to other players is... questionable.
  2. Switching alts is a very slow process, with a built-in delay of 5 to 15 seconds or more, and not something you do in any rushed situation. So needing a fast-fast command to do it is... puzzling.
  3. There are two ways to switch alts — Menu | Quit | Quit to Character Select, and /quittocharacterselect. Seems like plenty of options.
  4. There are at least four ways to execute the command — menu, type a slash command, use a bind, or create a macro. That would seem to be enough, but you're using a local macro utility to simply create a different typed slash command, possibly the least efficient path to the goal.
  5. Adding an alias might be 30 seconds of dev time... but I doubt it. I've done enough major software development to know that one teeny change, if not fully tested, can wreak havoc.
  6. A keybind takes 30 seconds to write and test. Alt-Q, or my choice Alt-F9, is about as fast as a command can be made, no matter how long the command names it calls. A macro takes about as long and suits the "clicky" players better. You are clearly comfortable with key remapping etc. if you're using a local macro tool to do the more complex job of remapping input strings.

So, honest, forgive me if I can't make any sense out of any part of your idea here. Given that both dev time and game features are finite, having devs spend time adding an alias command that (somewhat oddly) suits you (and possibly no one else) when the slash option already exists (there are other major functions for which one does not) and there are a whole list of other, more efficient solutions... is a textbook example of player requests that — again, honestly — shouldn't even be made.

But maybe it's just me...

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I mean, I can't really see it being a significant amount of work to add an alias to an existing command and I think it's perfectly valid to suggest that a slash command that takes longer to type than manually going through the menus isn't a great deal of use. I suggested "camp" because that's what a bunch of old MMOs used, (the idea being that your character beds down for the night, I guess?) but I don't really care what the alias would be, as long as it was significantly shorter than 21 characters lol

My point boils down to this: if you're going to request a change (with any degree of seriousness), it has to be something that will improve the game for some significant number of players, and should be something that adds or fixes functionality, and should be well worth any dev time, especially if significant testing or wrok is involved.

This request... fails on all points, IMVHO. The function exists. The function can be called two different ways, using four different methods. Adding an alias that makes little or no sense is asking for dev time to be spend on something beneath trivial for... some very, very small cadre of players.

If you absolutely insist on typing a slash command for this once-a-session, no-urgency action, and won't use the existing game features to accomplish it, I'd vote against wasting valuable dev time and possible game breakage to accommodate your unique wish.

Because no, it's not likely just a few moments to add the command to a parser list. Nothing is that simple in a complex, messy, evolved program being maintained by volunteer effort.

NOTHING personal here. Really. But dev time should be used to fix broken things and very selectively add features that improve the game for many, not... accommodate almost bizarrely idiosyncratic player requests.

/macro_image BA_Poortal_Jockey Nitey-Nite quittocharacterselect

There. Shiny icon and all. Fixed. 🙂

5 minutes ago, Pilchenstein said:

My dude, I'm sorry if I upset you by not using the keybinds you suggested but I really don't think "this slash command is too long, could you add a shorter version?" is quite the crime you're making it out to be

You haven't upset me. I am speaking as a charter player who HAS spent a crazy amount of time analyzing, documenting and trying to improve the user interface for convenience and gameplay.

But what you're asking is akin to asking for the character select screen to be changed to green because you don't like blue or red. Or asking that "Brute" be universally changed to "Broot" because you don't like the spelling.

That you don't understand that this is NOT necessarily some simple change that would take a dev ten seconds compounds the problem.

And let me wander back to reality with this observation: you're asking for an alias for one of the slash commands that has a clear, simply, unambiguous name. There might be a point in your favor if, say, you wanted the devs to rename traystickyalt2, which hasn't made sense since probably Issue 3.

Sorry you only have five options to accomplish your goal and wish the game to be customized for you.

• Game Master

Yes, there is a command, and yes, it could be shorter.  Feedback received.  In addition, please try to assume good faith from folks giving suggestions. 

Let's move on.  Topic locked.

Edited by GM Tahquitz

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.