Dark / Rad build help

SuperPlyx

Awhile back I made a Dark / Rad Dom and I just couldn't get the hang of it. I originally build it for range defense and I am now thinking that was a mistake. I died a lot.

So I am wondering if maybe I should prioritize Melee defense. I also want to try the new Energy Transfer but not sure if that's doable with the -hp aspect.

Anyways, was wondering if ya'll willing to share some builds or any insights and suggestions.

Thank you

Personally I think you should softcap to S/L and nrg def, being S/L most common dmg and being nrg very common at high lvls, especially with a secondary with such long animations. Weave + Maneuvers + Scorpion Shield + sets should take you to 45% def to S/L/Nrg. As to a build, done this bearing in mind that Dark is (imho) a primary that works well with melee so I guess you could use something like this for ideas: 

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 3.0.1.9
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/Hero-Designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 49 Magic Dominator
Primary Power Set: Darkness Control
Secondary Power Set: Radioactive Assault
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- GhsWdwEmb-Acc/EndRdx(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(3), NrnSht-Dam%(3), CldSns-%Dam(5), GldJvl-Dam%(5), Apc-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Neutrino Bolt -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Contaminated Strike -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Living Shadows -- SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(9), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(11), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(13)
Level 6: Possess -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(15), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(15), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(17), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(17), CrcPrs-Conf%(19)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- SphIns-%ToHit(A), SphIns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SphIns-ToHitDeb(21), SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb(21), SphIns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(23)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- Ksm-ToHit+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(23), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), Rct-ResDam%(25)
Level 12: Heart of Darkness -- Erd-%Dam(A), Erd-Dmg(27), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(29), CldSns-%Dam(29), Obl-%Dam(31)
Level 14: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 16: Fusion -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 18: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 20: Radiation Siphon -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(33), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(33), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(34), RctArm-ResDam(34), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(34), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 26: Shadow Field -- BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Hold(36), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(36), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(37)
Level 28: Atom Smasher -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Arm-Dmg(37), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Arm-Acc/Rchg(39), AchHee-ResDeb%(39)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(40), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(40)
Level 32: Umbra Beast -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(A), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(40), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(42), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(42), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(43)
Level 35: Proton Volley -- GldJvl-Dam%(A), StnoftheM-Dam%(43), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(45), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(45), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 38: Devastating Blow -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Hct-Dmg(46), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Hct-Acc/Rchg(47), TchofDth-Dam%(47)
Level 41: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 44: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(49)
Level 47: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Momentum 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(7)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(9)
Level 1: Quick Form 
------------

Being chased by a wasp is the most complete sport practice!

With Dark you probably want some kind of Resist armor. Defense is somewhat redundant because of Dark's -ToHit component. Usually I try to get to around where one Fearsome Stare would give me soft cap versus the level of enemies I am fighting. You can adjust to your level of comfort.

Dying a lot probably also means your controls aren't protecting you enough. I'd look toward Leviathan as the APP for that, for the combo of Water Spout + Shark Skin + Hibernate (skip Bile Spray). On a perma dom Water Spout will have about 60% uptime. Use Hibernate to duck into hiding when you are waiting on a key power to recharge.

Radiation Assault isn't a set I've ever gotten out of the mid 30s. I find the special heal mechanic difficult to leverage. It might get better on an end game build, I haven't had time to try it myself though.

Edited by oedipus_tex