Slotting Energy Aura

zuel

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to slot /Energy Aura, specifically to boost typed defences, and Smashing/Lethal in particular.

It seems most of the typed defence IOs are for melee or taunt powers, which makes sense given EA originated with Brutes (I think). But there are few ranged or AOE powers that offer them. Positional defence secondaries, like SR and Ninjitsu are at less of a disadvantage, with several sources of +Def.

I'm building an Energy/EA Sentinel at the moment, and finding it hard to get above ~42% for S/L, including a Steadfast Protection.

Any suggestions? Or do the devs need to tweak/add some IOs that offer greater positional defences to ranged attacks?

This has 50% def to all types but toxic/psi along with perma hasten when using Agility Alpha, 60% S/L and 30% to all other resists.  I originally built it for Fire/EA but swapped it to energy for you.  You'd need to keep the purples in it for perma hasten, and if I were you I'd figure out a way to slot the knockback to knockdown enhances in the two AoEs, but this should give you pretty much what you need.

When you aren't using the Agility Alpha Incarnate Slot you have 45% to everything and hasten isn't permanent - you can get it closer to permanent by three slotting it, but you do need some kind of incarnate alpha shenanigans to get it permanent.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Sentinel

Primary Power Set: Energy Blast

Secondary Power Set: Energy Aura

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Speed

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Power Bolt -- Tmp-Acc/Dmg(A), Tmp-Dmg/Rchg(23), Tmp-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), Thn-Acc/Dmg(46), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46)

Level 1: Kinetic Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Rchg+(3), LucoftheG-Def(25), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(25), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(27)

Level 2: Power Blast -- MlsFur-Acc/Dmg(A), MlsFur-Dmg/Rchg(37), MlsFur-Dmg/EndRdx(3), HO:Nucle(11)

Level 4: Energy Torrent -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(17), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(27)

Level 6: Power Burst -- SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(9), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11)

Level 8: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)

Level 10: Kinetic Dampening -- ResDam-I(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(19), GldArm-3defTpProc(21), ResDam-I(37), UnbGrd-Max HP%(43)

Level 12: Energize -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Pnc-Heal(15), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(33), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(50)

Level 14: Power Shield -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(15), LucoftheG-Def(17), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(19), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(46)

Level 16: Entropy Shield -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 18: Explosive Blast -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(29), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(37)

Level 20: Aim -- RctRtc-Pcptn(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(21)

Level 22: Power Push -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(23), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Dam%(36), Apc-Acc/Rchg(48)

Level 24: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(31), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(40), KntCmb-Knock%(43)

Level 26: Hover -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 28: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(29), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(31), Ags-Psi/Status(42), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(42), Ags-ResDam(50)

Level 30: Repelling Force -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(33), Rct-ResDam%(39), Rct-Def(39)

Level 32: Nova -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Dmg(34), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Arm-Dam%(34), Arm-Acc/Rchg(36), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(36)

Level 35: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Ksm-Def/EndRdx(45), Ksm-ToHit+(43), Ksm-Def/Rchg(45)

Level 38: Power Armor -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam(39), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(48), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48)

Level 41: Power Drain -- EndMod-I(A)

Level 44: Maneuvers -- DefBuff-I(A)

Level 47: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)

Level 49: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(42)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), PrfShf-End%(5)

Level 0: The Atlas Medallion

Level 0: Task Force Commander

Level 0: Portal Jockey

Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve

Level 50: Agility Core Paragon

------------

The set itself (Energy Aura) is limiting in the amount of S/L def that it provides, let alone with Sentinel mods. The highest that I got S/L def was around 38%, which isn't terrible, but I made sure to supplement it with resist as much as possible (42%). These are base level 50 numbers, nothing fancy, no purples, no Incarnate stuff or anything.

Honestly, while it'd be fun to softcap all damage types, I don't see it happening without some huge post 50 investment and some potentially character gimping options (Fighting pool attacks aren't as bad as they used to be--they're quite good!--but depending on Primary may not flow very well with your build). I'm content with not softcapping S/L considering the decent S/L resists that can be had, plus the regen from Energize being another damage mitigation method. Of course, your distance may vary. All I'll say is that with Sentinel, yes it's hard to softcap S/L def.

The set itself (Energy Aura) is limiting in the amount of S/L def that it provides, let alone with Sentinel mods. The highest that I got S/L def was around 38%, which isn't terrible, but I made sure to supplement it with resist as much as possible (42%). These are base level 50 numbers, nothing fancy, no purples, no Incarnate stuff or anything.

Honestly, while it'd be fun to softcap all damage types, I don't see it happening without some huge post 50 investment and some potentially character gimping options (Fighting pool attacks aren't as bad as they used to be--they're quite good!--but depending on Primary may not flow very well with your build). I'm content with not softcapping S/L considering the decent S/L resists that can be had, plus the regen from Energize being another damage mitigation method. Of course, your distance may vary. All I'll say is that with Sentinel, yes it's hard to softcap S/L def.

You don't need much investment to cap to all if you use incarnate Alpha.  If you're soloing or doing TFs, you will have enough merits to get almost everything for an alpha softcap before 50.  Get the two +def IOs, get weave, slot power armor with 4 reactives, slot tough with 3 aegis and 3 reactives, slot boxing with 4 kinetic combat, slot a ranged ability with 3 maelstroms, and pick up two of combat jumping, hover, and maneuvers.

The only out of reach thing in the above build in terms of softcapping is actually the ATO sets, which you only need if you want to softcap without the agility alpha slot. 

Thanks for the tips. Good to know it's possible, if expensive. And good advice on slotting things like Boxing. I also noticed some of the Epic pools have immobilise, which can take some S/L Def IOs, as well as other melee attacks.