Fire/Energy Sent

Psilencer

Hello,

First time Sentinel player here.  I have a character concept and I think Fire/Energy would be a good fit (although I could go with Energy as primary as well, I'm just not that experienced with KB).  I'm not totally married to /Energy, but I do like that it offers the 20% recharge bonus and I like the graphics.  I tried /Rad armor, but the graphics might not go with my concept.  However, I do kind of like that it has a 20% recharge, an AOE and a bit of a "build up" power...

I guess I'm looking to put up some decent damage but be much less squishy than a blaster.  I really like that Inferno has a shorter CD than I'm used to with blasters so I would like it up as often as possible, so +recharge is pretty important. 

I just have no idea how to slot the defensive secondary sets.

Does anyone have a build that they could share?  I can't afford the super expensive purple IO sets yet. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jk421
Edit - might be giving second thoughts to /Rad after looking at it with more detail

8 hours ago, jk421 said:

I just have no idea how to slot the defensive secondary sets.

Energy Aura by itself will not get you soft-cap defenses, but you can achieve that with additional powers.  

The specific slotting of Energy Aura is going to vary wildly depending on more factors than any single build share could provide.  Instead, I'm going to give you the powers that you can use to easily soft-cap with using anything more expensive than the two 3% defense globals.  

Let's just assume you take everything except for Overload.  Energize and Power Drain aren't contributing to defenses in this example though they could with certain sets.  

OK.  So Weave, Maneuvers, Hover or Combat Jumping, and Link Minds.  Those pool powers, Link Minds comes from Psychic Mastery, will all stack with Kinetic Shield, Power Shield, and Repelling Force.  

Slotting... 

At least 3 slots with a Defense, Defense/Endurance, and Defense/Endurance/Recharge (Or Defense/Recharge) in all of the mentioned defense powers except for Hover/Combat Jumping (a common IO is fine).  That will soft-cap you on all damage types except for Negative and Psionic.   Negative will softcap the moment you use a full Sentinel ATO or some Thunderstrikes in your attacks.  You could easily go into 50% Smashing/Lethal defense with the other Sentinel ATO.  

Psionic isn't worth stressing over.  

Your resistance to S/L can be 45% or higher but who is to say exactly where this lands without specifically building for that (you shouldn't need to).  

OK, so there you go.  Slotting of Energy Aura made simple.  If you skip Link Minds, then your Fire/Cold/Negative defenses will be areas that set bonuses catch you up (S/L/En is easy).  You can easily cap those with Aegis in resistance powers or various offensive sets for AoE/Ranged.  Your S/L defense may dip a bit below 45% but it isn't a big deal.  

My personal Fire/EA uses expensive sets so it wouldn't be as useful for someone looking for a cheaper alternative. 

1 hour ago, oldskool said:

Energy Aura by itself will not get you soft-cap defenses, but you can achieve that with additional powers.  

The specific slotting of Energy Aura is going to vary wildly depending on more factors than any single build share could provide.  Instead, I'm going to give you the powers that you can use to easily soft-cap with using anything more expensive than the two 3% defense globals.  

Let's just assume you take everything except for Overload.  Energize and Power Drain aren't contributing to defenses in this example though they could with certain sets.  

OK.  So Weave, Maneuvers, Hover or Combat Jumping, and Link Minds.  Those pool powers, Link Minds comes from Psychic Mastery, will all stack with Kinetic Shield, Power Shield, and Repelling Force.  

Slotting... 

At least 3 slots with a Defense, Defense/Endurance, and Defense/Endurance/Recharge (Or Defense/Recharge) in all of the mentioned defense powers except for Hover/Combat Jumping (a common IO is fine).  That will soft-cap you on all damage types except for Negative and Psionic.   Negative will softcap the moment you use a full Sentinel ATO or some Thunderstrikes in your attacks.  You could easily go into 50% Smashing/Lethal defense with the other Sentinel ATO.  

Psionic isn't worth stressing over.  

Your resistance to S/L can be 45% or higher but who is to say exactly where this lands without specifically building for that (you shouldn't need to).  

OK, so there you go.  Slotting of Energy Aura made simple.  If you skip Link Minds, then your Fire/Cold/Negative defenses will be areas that set bonuses catch you up (S/L/En is easy).  You can easily cap those with Aegis in resistance powers or various offensive sets for AoE/Ranged.  Your S/L defense may dip a bit below 45% but it isn't a big deal.  

My personal Fire/EA uses expensive sets so it wouldn't be as useful for someone looking for a cheaper alternative. 

Thank you for the clarity of your reply!  Totally makes sense to me.

I hate to be a bother, but I am also going back and giving /Rad strong consideration.  I think that maybe I can live with the graphics as it brings a lot to the table such as an AOE, a build-up power and the 20% recharge bonus.

Do you have any experience with that secondary?  If so, could I trouble you for advice on it?

19 minutes ago, jk421 said:

Do you have any experience with that secondary?  If so, could I trouble you for advice on it?

The easy advice on Radiation Armor is this; don't set unrealistic expectations.  What I mean there is don't go expecting to soft-cap your defenses working from zero on a budget.  Even with a really expensive heavy Winter Set invested build you may not pull that off while also getting everything else one can imagine.  

Radiation Armor is actually really straight forward.  It is resistance-based and allows for you to raise Smashing, Lethal, Energy, and Toxic to moderate levels *without Meltdown*.  When Meltdown is active you'll likely cap your resistance on those 4 categories unless you're going out of your way to avoid it.  There are multiple healing powers in the kit to help keep you running strong.  

So, keep it simple.  Focus on the resistances first.  If you can build up some defenses to about 15%-20%, then great because every bit can help.  Rad's intimidating because it is new, but it isn't that complicated in actual practice.  

15 minutes ago, oldskool said:

The easy advice on Radiation Armor is this; don't set unrealistic expectations.  What I mean there is don't go expecting to soft-cap your defenses working from zero on a budget.  Even with a really expensive heavy Winter Set invested build you may not pull that off while also getting everything else one can imagine.  

Radiation Armor is actually really straight forward.  It is resistance-based and allows for you to raise Smashing, Lethal, Energy, and Toxic to moderate levels *without Meltdown*.  When Meltdown is active you'll likely cap your resistance on those 4 categories unless you're going out of your way to avoid it.  There are multiple healing powers in the kit to help keep you running strong.  

So, keep it simple.  Focus on the resistances first.  If you can build up some defenses to about 15%-20%, then great because every bit can help.  Rad's intimidating because it is new, but it isn't that complicated in actual practice.  

Great!  Thank you!  I will have to play around with things because I have no idea how I will fit all the powers in and slot them appropriately along with the fire powers that I am interested in taking. 

Thanks again for your help!

Figure, might be better to put my build here than in messages.   This is still in progress and I expect to respec next release.  I think this can be heavily improved as is, but works well in most content.  I haven't taken her solo against +4/x8

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Ms. Blazer: Level 50 Mutation Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Flares -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(3), Dmg-I(3), Dmg-I(5), Dmg-I(5), Empty(7)
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- EndRdx-I(A), ResDam-I(7), ResDam-I(9), ResDam-I(9)
Level 2: Gamma Boost -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(11), Heal-I(11), Heal-I(13)
Level 4: Grant Invisibility -- Empty(A)
Level 6: Proton Armor -- EndRdx-I(A), ResDam-I(17), ResDam-I(19), ResDam-I(19)
Level 8: Fire Ball -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(21), Dmg-I(21), Dmg-I(23), Dmg-I(23), Empty(25)
Level 10: Fallout Shelter -- EndRdx-I(A), ResDam-I(25), ResDam-I(27), ResDam-I(27)
Level 12: Blaze -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(29), Dmg-I(29), Dmg-I(31), Dmg-I(31), Empty(31)
Level 14: Invisibility -- EndRdx-I(A), DefBuff-I(33)
Level 16: Proton Therapy -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33), Heal-I(33), Heal-I(34)
Level 18: Blazing Blast -- SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(34), SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(36), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 20: Particle Acceleration -- Flight-I(A)
Level 22: Fire Blast -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(37), Dmg-I(37), Dmg-I(37), Dmg-I(39), Empty(39)
Level 24: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), ToHit-I(39)
Level 26: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 28: Particle Shielding -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40), EndMod-I(40), EndMod-I(42), Heal-I(42), Heal-I(42)
Level 30: Hover -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), ShlWal-Def(43)
Level 32: Inferno -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(43), Dmg-I(43), Dmg-I(45), Dmg-I(45), Empty(45)
Level 35: Ground Zero -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(46), Dmg-I(46), Dmg-I(46), DefDeb-I(48), DefDeb-I(48)
Level 38: Meltdown -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Fly -- Flight-I(A)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- EndRdx-I(A), DefBuff-I(48)
Level 47: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(50), ToHit-I(50), ToHit-I(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Heal-I(A), Heal-I(13), Heal-I(15)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(15), EndMod-I(17)
------------

1 hour ago, lemming said:

Figure, might be better to put my build here than in messages.   This is still in progress and I expect to respec next release.  I think this can be heavily improved as is, but works well in most content.  I haven't taken her solo against +4/x8

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Ms. Blazer: Level 50 Mutation Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Flares -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(3), Dmg-I(3), Dmg-I(5), Dmg-I(5), Empty(7)
Level 1: Alpha Barrier -- EndRdx-I(A), ResDam-I(7), ResDam-I(9), ResDam-I(9)
Level 2: Gamma Boost -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(11), Heal-I(11), Heal-I(13)
Level 4: Grant Invisibility -- Empty(A)
Level 6: Proton Armor -- EndRdx-I(A), ResDam-I(17), ResDam-I(19), ResDam-I(19)
Level 8: Fire Ball -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(21), Dmg-I(21), Dmg-I(23), Dmg-I(23), Empty(25)
Level 10: Fallout Shelter -- EndRdx-I(A), ResDam-I(25), ResDam-I(27), ResDam-I(27)
Level 12: Blaze -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(29), Dmg-I(29), Dmg-I(31), Dmg-I(31), Empty(31)
Level 14: Invisibility -- EndRdx-I(A), DefBuff-I(33)
Level 16: Proton Therapy -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33), Heal-I(33), Heal-I(34)
Level 18: Blazing Blast -- SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(34), SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(36), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 20: Particle Acceleration -- Flight-I(A)
Level 22: Fire Blast -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(37), Dmg-I(37), Dmg-I(37), Dmg-I(39), Empty(39)
Level 24: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), ToHit-I(39)
Level 26: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)
Level 28: Particle Shielding -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40), EndMod-I(40), EndMod-I(42), Heal-I(42), Heal-I(42)
Level 30: Hover -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A), ShlWal-Def(43)
Level 32: Inferno -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(43), Dmg-I(43), Dmg-I(45), Dmg-I(45), Empty(45)
Level 35: Ground Zero -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(46), Dmg-I(46), Dmg-I(46), DefDeb-I(48), DefDeb-I(48)
Level 38: Meltdown -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Fly -- Flight-I(A)
Level 44: Maneuvers -- EndRdx-I(A), DefBuff-I(48)
Level 47: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A), EndRdx-I(50), ToHit-I(50), ToHit-I(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Heal-I(A), Heal-I(13), Heal-I(15)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(15), EndMod-I(17)
------------

Awesome!   Ty!  I have a few sets that I can pull off of some of my other toons for set bonuses here and there. But this is a fantastic place to start!  Much appreciated!