Help with Storm/Water Defender

DusteeOldBones

I have two mains: Storm/water and Force Field / sonic defenders. These are about polar opposites of each other on the buff/debuff spectrum. I love my Storm /water much more than the Storm/Rad I had on live. It just fits togther so well between the primary and secondary sets.

First, I would point out there are leveling builds and there are end-game incarnate builds. Through this post I will point out mostly the leveling build. You have already got to the level 22s, that was the hard part. Make sure you use fresh SOs at the minimum and I strongly suggest investing in level 25  generic crafted (non-set) invention origin enhancements at level 22. Slot for endurance cost reduction (not endmod for true drain) before defense/resist damage in steamy mist, slot for endurance reduction before -tohit in hurricane, slot for endurance reduction at minimum in snow storm. After that basis of endurance slotting to be safe, add the other enhancements for the effects. You will thank me ... eventually.

The second point of emphasis in my leveling stormy's build is +recharge. I want more lightning storms,, more tornadoes and most importantly -- freezing rain on demand for each group of foes. You will probably slot recharge reduction in freezing rain, lightning storm, tornado, and in hasten. That's the start; you also should consider as a high priority getting the Force Feedback recharge 'proc' in your abilities that can enhance knock back. And thus, this is why I think Gale is invaluable.

Coupled with the recharge proc, you most likely want knockback to knockDOWN 'proc's in the usual abilities with knockback: Gale, Tornado, Lightning Storm for AoE knockdown of groups of foes. Hurricane KB>KD is a bit more optional since the actual knockback effect is separate from the constant repel of the 'cane, but mowing down groups  of foes with knockdown by gale + 'cane is satisfying and effective crowd control.

The fourth feature to emphasize in water blast is the abilities you can slot for -defense (defense debuff) can be slotted with the Achille's Heel -resistance proc. This adds -resistance to your defenseless foes making them even easier to drop by you and your teams. Personally I slotted -resistance procs in whirlpool and steam spray. Both are AoE attacks and can proc on multiple targets. I also recommend the option of taking the target AoE -resist proc, but having both in whirlpool and steam spray is mostly redundant with the freezing rain on demand.

My last recommendations are: slot some range in steam spray to lengthen the AoE cone effect. You can put damage proc's in your  AoE damage for extra kick. Take snowstorm for interrupting all kinds of kamikaze foes, summoning foes (i.e. sky raider engineers) and to ground flying foes such as sky skiffs. Slow foes are almost held foes with snow and freezing rain applied. In your custom colors make hurricane nearly invisible so you don't block melee players view. Snow storm shouldn't be a white out condition for the same reason. However, I do make tornado very gaudy so my teammates know when they are getting the big damage/debuff assist from this pet.  I took hover so I could place lightning storm higher above the foes to rain lightning down on my enemies and out of melee los blocking positions. I only skip the second water blast with the goofy windup slower animation.

Because of endurance trouble, I avoided taking leadership, but this may be taken later after getting endurance and optimal slotting in your other abilities.

Get out there and storm it up!!

Edited by Psylenz0511
modified for clarity
  • Like 3

First, I would point out there are leveling builds and there are end-game incarnate builds. Through this post I will point out mostly the leveling build. You have already got to the level 22s, that was the hard part. Make sure you use fresh SOs at the minimum and I strongly suggest investing in level 25  generic crafted (non-set) invention origin enhancements at level 22. Slot for endurance drain before defense/resistance in steamy mist, slot for endurance reduction before -tohit in hurricane, slot for endurance reduction at minimum in snow storm. After that basis of endurance slotting to be safe, add the other enhancements for the effects. You will thank me ... eventually.

Solid advice overall.  One thing I would clarify/question though.  AFAIK there's no endurance drain resistance in Steamy Mist nor does it take Endmod sets or IOs.  I believe @Psylenz0511is confusing things with one of FF shields? Insulation Shield perhaps, but that can't be enhanced either far as I'm aware. I would use endurance reduction in it though it's not cheap just like a lot of Storm's powers.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Solid advice overall.  One thing I would clarify/question though.  AFAIK there's no endurance drain resistance in Steamy Mist nor does it take Endmod sets or IOs.  I believe @Psylenz0511is confusing things with one of FF shields? Insulation Shield perhaps, but that can't be enhanced either far as I'm aware. I would use endurance reduction in it though it's not cheap just like a lot of Storm's powers.

I meant endurance reduction cost, not endurance modification for endurance drain. I was referring to the literal drain on the endurance of the defender from running steamy, snow, and hurricane. I am modifying my post

• Like 1