Confusing behavior with surface snapping and ceiling trim.

tekmansam

I've been getting into base building, and I've started to run into some curious behavior.  I'm not sure if I'm not understanding something properly, or if this is a bug, or just a janky quirk of the builder/asset manager.  This is my first post on the forum (as I'm starting to feel weird about posting in the help channel so often.)  Here goes.

I discovered that surface snapping with objects say... putting a medkit on a desk, would bury half the medkit in the desk with the default 1/4" x 1'4" grid.  I had to manually shift drag the object into alignment.  No big deal; I discovered turning off grid snapping fixed this issue altogether.  Moving on, I started to experiment with placing alphabet letters.  This is where things get confusing.  When placing letters on the ceiling trim, I kept getting inconsistent results.  On one side of a doorway, I got it to work fine if I turned off grid snapping and turned on surface mounting, otherwise it would replace the trim as if placing an item too close to the wall normally does.  Okay, I think I understand how to work with this...

I move to the opposite side of the doorway and repeat the same steps--only to find that the behavior is unreproducible.  Nothing I have tried has allowed me to reproduce this behavior.  Anybody have any thoughts on this issue?

• 2 weeks later