Curious About Minimum Specs

Arnabas

So, we picked up a laptop for my son to use for school work and some other tasks and I wanted to see how well it could handle CoH. As it turned out, it couldn't handle it well at all.  I didn't fiddle with the advanced settings, but left it on "Recommended". Standing still, everything looked pretty good. Moving? Super laggy and jerky. 

I turned it down to "Performance," which was only marginally better. FInally put it on minimum and it wasn't bad, but looked like crap.

I had read a few reviews before picking it up, a few of which mentioned that the reviewers were using it for gaming. One even mentioned playing RDR2 on it, which seemed highly unlikely to me, but maybe with everything turned all the way down it's possible. 

Anyhow, i am far from being the most tech-savvy guy, but it seems to me that the game should run better than it did, particularly since it runs reasonably well on an old Asus Transformer Book that was bought about 6 years ago. Maybe I just need to play with the settings? 

If anyone could take a look and give some thoughts on whether it's worth trying to get it running on this system, I'd appreciate it. Here are the specs:

• 3.0 GHz Intel Core i3-1115G4 processor
  • 8 GB DDR4 memory
  • 512 GB SSD storage
  • 15.6" FHD screen, 1920 x 1080 resolution
  • Intel UHD Graphics

It's the integrated graphics that are gonna drag things down for you.  I suggest trying the following:

1. In the launcher, add the "-usetexenvcombine" command switch.  It makes the game use a simpler rendering method, which runs much better on computers with integrated graphics.  You should be able to increase the texture quality and lighting to make it look decent, but it's not going to be maxed out or anything.

2. Change the player labels setting to only show player names when you mouse over or target them, instead of always being on - believe me, it makes a difference.

3. Disable shadows or set them to the lowest "on" setting.

You can read more about the various program launch options here.  Hope that helps!

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Arnabas said:

I'm not sure how to add the command switch, but I'll try to look it up. The other stuff I can adjust.

Thanks.

If you're using the Homecoming Launcher, then what you do is click the 3 little dots in the lower right of the "Homecoming" box, select "settings", then type the "-usetexenvcombine" into the box for "extra launch parameters", (see images below):

coh launcher1.jpg

coh launcher2.jpg

Edited by biostem