Supergroup leadership passed to lowly ranked toon

Fermi

One of my SGs (mostly used for RP, as it's an apartment complex) has a few members: the leader, 2 other toons as the second highest rank, another as the penultimate rank, and the lowly newest member.

All toons log at least once a week. Demotion period is 100 days.

I deleted the leader.

The SG leadership then passed to... the lowest and newest member, the one down the line, who was upped to the highest rank.

The player was gracious enough to give the leadership back, but I can see how that could be cause for disaster.

The only cause I can see is the lowest ranked member was the newest and also the one first in alphabetical order, but the leadership should never have been given to them as there are other toons there who outranked them.

The order of 'precedence' when you just delete the character that's the SG leader is somewhat flaky. It's always best, if you're going to delete the SG leader, to log into the character (you want to do this anyway to strip them of enhancements, inf, salvage, and inspirations) and explicitly promote the character you want to become the new SG leader.

This process I understand and expect, now.

But... Has anyone run into the situation where you log and look at the SG and there is NO ONE with the red SG leader star?

My friend (a base builder with many toons and SGs) has run into that on two of their SGs. We're stuck with no SG leader able to change permissions, and no way to figure out who the SG leader character was supposed to be, short of a petition.