New MM Power Set: Summon Swords

Rudra

Okay, this is meant as much in jest as in earnest. With the hydra, angels, and monkey MM threads recently, I decided to throw something in too. Say hello to the melee MM: Animated Swords.

Tier 1: Sting of the Wasp (as per Katana)

Tier 2: Conjure Lightblade (summons 1-3 animated shortswords [use Dual Blade model][attacks: Slash as per Vorpal Sword])          

Tier 3: Gambler's Cut (as per Katana)

Tier 4: Enchant Sword (See below)

Tier 5: Flashing Steel (as per Katana)

Tier 6: Conjure Sword (summons 1-2 animated swords [use Broadsword model][attacks: Slash as per Vorpal Sword and Hack as per Vorpal Sword])

Tier 7: Blood Lust (Causes all swords in range to frenzy [PBAoE, pets +Def and +Dam, 60 s duration, 240 s recharge])

Tier 8: Conjure Greatsword (summons 1 two-handed sword [use Katana model][attacks: Hack as per Vorpal Sword and Disembowel as per Vorpal Sword])

Tier 9: Empower Sword (See below)

Enchant Sword:

Lightblade: Parry as per Vorpal Sword and Hack as per Vorpal Sword

Sword: Parry as per Vorpal Sword and Disembowel as per Vorpal Sword

Greatsword: Parry as per Vorpal Sword and Whirling Sword as per Vorpal Sword

Empower Sword:

Lightblade: Whirling Sword as per Vorpal Sword

Sword: Head Splitter as per Vorpal Sword

Greatsword: Head Splitter as per Vorpal Sword

All swords use the Vorpal Sword from the Animus Arcana for their animations. All swords can use any model from their respective type (Dual Blade, Broadsword, or Katana), but all swords in that group must use the same model. (So you pick once for each power and that is what they all are.) All swords are lieutenant strength pets. (Use ninjas or bots for stats?) With the possible exception of Blood Lust, which is patterned after Fortify Pack but does not duplicate the power, all powers and models already exist in the game. (Edit: Enchant sword and empower sword can use the ninja's pet upgrade animations.)

Why? Because I felt like posting this to see what happens. Maybe the character is a telekinetic animating the swords. Maybe the character is a mage enchanting the swords and prefers to melee foes instead of hurl spells. Maybe after my bashing of the other threads I want to give them a chance to return the favor. Regardless, here is my thought/idea. Have at it!

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 2

You joke, But I have thought of a MM set based around the animus from nightward would make a cool set. Swords and spears for the tier 1, Maybe elemental for tier 2? and maybe a spell tome for tier 3?

Though I would go with magic wand attacks for the blasts. 

Edited by Communistpenguin

Nah. I prefer the all swords approach. There is a reason for it. Doesn't mean a more expansive version utilizing the Animus Arcana as a basis isn't an option. Would need to be reworked similar to what I did for the swords, but it is a possiblity.

Edit: And a version based on more Animus Arcana would allow the MM to revert to a ranged AT instead of being melee as cast in this idea.

Edited by Rudra

I like the idea of using this to make a Sword Immortal... they would need to give us a Flying Sword Travel Power to round it all out.

I could also see making a Cartoon themed character very loosely based on the few scenes in Who Framed Roger Rabbit? where Eddie Valentine fights using the Singing Sword.

Of course, none of the Mastermind Powersets are set up for the Mastermind to specifically go into Melee... that is a choice the Mastermind makes by building into power pools to get enough Melee attacks. I am sure there are people who would love a Melee Mastermind Primary set... It would open up the road for people to build Paladin type characters too with the Mastermind's Support Secondary. If I am being frank, I would rather see a Luddite Themed Mastermind than Floating Swords, because Cultists are way more useful for Mastermind Characters.

Perhaps this powerset would be better expressed in the Dominator Archetype? You would get less summons, but you also have a better chance that someone could actually MAKE this powerset.... albeit it would likely be split into two different halves. You'd have the Control/Summoning Half and the Secondary Assault set which would have room for Melee attacks. You could almost have a Titan Weapon Assault for the Dominator where they get a few Melee Strikes, and then a bunch of Sword Intent/Massive Sword Smash Ranged attacks. I would seriously consider reworking your idea for this, because it opens up way more flexibility in character design.

I think you underestimate MM players. Sure, a lot stay back and fight from range as best they can. A lot also go running into the melee so their Supremacy inherent boosts their melee pets (ninjas and beasts). Having melee attacks on the MM isn't as bad as you are making it out to be. At least, it is no different than shooting your bow or swinging your whip at enemies in your face. That said, nothing says the devs can't say "You know what? We think the MM's personal attacks need to stay ranged as a theme." and replacing the sword attacks with a bow or whatever.

I am disinclined to agree with this being better as a Dominator set. Now, if you want a Titan Weapon or Sword Assault dominator, start a new thread with it as your idea. Flesh out the power set. Show us what you are thinking and how it would work. Not gonna change my approach though.