Anyone have experience with Beam Rifle/Sonic?

00Troy00

I made a Sonic/Beam defender back in the day (ranged softcap, SLE resistance capped).  Most squishies build for defense over resistance, and even resist tanks can have holes.  You fix that (my fender gave +50 SLENFCT), effectively multiplying the hp they have to absorb the hits that do get through.  The buff duration is pretty good, so you can just yell at your team between fights and spend the rest of the time firing your laser gun.

(I made him Beam/Sonic originally, but deleted him ~40ish and rerolled defender because it was easier to get his defense numbers where my OCD wanted them.  If you're not insane like me, corruptor should be perfectly fine.  You'll have a good attack chain early on, and your secondary will stay comfortably out of the way.)

I did mention this a couple of months ago in that Defender thread, but....

My main problem with Sonic Resonance is Disruption Field, the -resist toggle that you stick to your tank. It's a great power but it forces you to stay quite close to your tank all the time to avoid having it break. And it breaks anyway when you use an elevator. It's a hassle to maintain and if I wanted a Beam Rifle character who could only fight at close range, I'd make a Sentinel....

Also, I feel like using Sonic Siphon interferes with the zen of my Beam Rifle attack chain and combos.

On 5/7/2022 at 5:49 PM, Omega Force said:

I made a Sonic/Beam defender back in the day (ranged softcap, SLE resistance capped).  Most squishies build for defense over resistance, and even resist tanks can have holes.  You fix that (my fender gave +50 SLENFCT), effectively multiplying the hp they have to absorb the hits that do get through.  The buff duration is pretty good, so you can just yell at your team between fights and spend the rest of the time firing your laser gun.

(I made him Beam/Sonic originally, but deleted him ~40ish and rerolled defender because it was easier to get his defense numbers where my OCD wanted them.  If you're not insane like me, corruptor should be perfectly fine.  You'll have a good attack chain early on, and your secondary will stay comfortably out of the way.)

Did getting thr numbers where you wanted them make a significant difference in his survivability?

Of course not, but seeing them where they should be made me *feel* better.  My brain wasn't gnawing away reminding me that my Energy resistance would be displayed in hardcap blue if I'd gone defender.  If not for that, corruptor would have been great -- again, you get the attacks sooner, iTrial AVs hate Scourge, and you still bring enough team support that you don't get kicked out of bed for leaving cookie crumbs on the sheets.

In Sonic I skipped the kb toggle, the phase lock, and the tier 9.