I LOVE THE QUEUE!!!

tashewolf

....there, I said it, and I'm even sincere.

OK! Trying to switch from one server to another was a poor choice at this particular Saturday PM juncture. THAT'S ON ME.

Has anything crashed so much as it had been...? (For the record, I was ALSO okay with THAT.)

Just happy, happy, happy!

.....and is it reeeeally the worst thing in the world for me to be being a little non-COH constructive while waiting? I for one think not.

Back to thy regularly-scheduled bitching, if such is your wont ;)

You might like it, but was in queue for 3 hours and STILL had 758 people ahead of me.  I like the idea of the queue, but afkers need to be kicked faster.  Some people might be able to wait 4-5 hours to play, unfortunately I do not.

I think it is a definite improvement over everyone constantly lagging out and crashing off the servers over and over.

And besides, this is one of our fav MMOs that came back from the dead after *seven years,* and it's *free to play* at this point. 

We're testers!  Don't forget that!  It's just that right now, we're testing the queue system.  And it's working well:  I haven't been flung out of the queue yet at any rate, and my # in the queue keeps going down.  You should have seen it when LoTRO's Time Locked Progession servers launched a few months ago.  My position in that queue (which was even worse than here) didn't budge for over 8 hours, I kid you not!

Do you know how hard it is to pick up someone else's code and run with it, never mind the spaghetti code that is CoX?  It's darned near impossible! And look at this team:  They're doing it! 

I love them.  And the queue forces me to be productive in between gaming sessions, and actually more efficient in my household chores so that I get them done faster.  I never know when I will be able to get back on again, after all, lol.

I think it is a definite improvement over everyone constantly lagging out and crashing off the servers over and over.

The team did a great job on the server, but this ain't it chief. I would gladly go back to lag, (still crashes.)

You might like it, but was in queue for 3 hours and STILL had 758 people ahead of me.  I like the idea of the queue, but afkers need to be kicked faster.  Some people might be able to wait 4-5 hours to play, unfortunately I do not.

3 hours would have been great i just did a 6 hour wait to DB as soon as I selected my toon, figured this was going to be my luck ...FML

• Retired Game Master

So I said this is Discord a few times, but I'll put it here (I also said I was going to bed, rip). I absolutely, fundamentally hate that we can't all be playing right now, together. I hate that people have to sit in a queue at all. But right now, we have to. It's the only way to keep the servers alive at all.

And I really, really, really hate that people spend so much time sitting in a queue to then get an error or mapserved and kicked in 5-10 minutes and go right back to the end. I was talking to people in chat about it and it seriously made me want to cry. I love this game, I know you guys do too, and I want us all to be able to enjoy it again.

I promise the devs and admins are aware of the issues and concerns. And I promise they're working on solutions to improve literally everything. Is this ideal? Obviously not. But it gives the servers some semblance of stability so they don't have to restart every couple hours. Because restarting servers takes up their time. So instead of doing upgrades and improvements, they're stuck with basic maintenance and spinning it up. We don't want that to be their time sink for now.

Everything will get better. Please remember this server was stood up.. what, like 4 and a half days ago? And there are maybe 7-8k people trying to log in at the same time. That's absolutely incredible. Our player base is growing faster than our hardware, so for anyone saying "well it was fine two days ago," we literally have twice as many people trying to get in. It is not, and has not, been fine. And that's okay, we're getting there. Be patient. Hit the queue and go for a run. Call your mum. Remote in and see where you're at, and adjust. And if you can't do that, that's fine too. We all want to play, but maybe take another week to give us a chance to get better. Or for someone else to pop up another server, which will happen eventually. Just bear with us - it affects us all the same way. We have non-GM and non-admin accounts to play with and they have to sit in a queue too, so trust me, we're right there with you.

3 hours would have been great i just did a 6 hour wait to DB as soon as I selected my toon, figured this was going to be my luck ...FML

Yeah, I was in line for 3 hours to get onto Excelsior, chose my toon and immediately got flung off to account login without even a load screen, lol.  Now I'm #1342 again, so I just closed down.  Nighty night all! 

Early weekday mornings and I are going to become very friendly with CoX methinks.

Definitely preferred the crashing and bugs to this queue, but the fact that they have this game up is amazing, so I can't really complain.

It's just that I learned of this game through friends awhile after it shut down and have heard so many amazing things and now that I've finally gotten a taste of it, it's just like...*grabby hands*

Regardless, glad the queue is helping the game run smoother for people whose turn it is!

Great in theory, if there was at least 1 or 2 more servers.

Had many reports tonight of friends waiting in 5 hour ques just to get DC'd ingame after not too long.  I managed about 2 hours before I had to walk the dog for 5 minutes and got afk DC'd.  It's just not a perfect system yet. 

Which, I can't exactly bitch about because this entire endeavor is a work in progress and we've come a long way.  But I simply don't have the time to wait for 5 hours to play just to get the boot randomly and sit again for 5 hours. 

Patience, it's a work in progress and will get better.

I fully agree.

The queue is a necessary evil. I got DCed my first round in the Queue. I walked away to make dinner. Came back and it was gone. I've been sitting here for 4 almost 5 hours. Waiting. But I do so gladly. Because I KNOW the Devs can not be making progress when the shards crash every 5 mins. I have seen the decline in game quality. The 3 hours the game was out lastnight.. when the game came back it was laggy. Maybe even more so than before. I read the discord when I woke up. Seemed to have been a mess this not ing. I hurts to wait even a second more when we have waited years. But honestly what's a few hours?

Some won't be able to play today. Or maybe tomorrow. But they will get to eventually. And eventually everyone will be able to play.

So I said this is Discord a few times, but I'll put it here (I also said I was going to bed, rip). I absolutely, fundamentally hate that we can't all be playing right now, together. I hate that people have to sit in a queue at all. But right now, we have to. It's the only way to keep the servers alive at all.

And I really, really, really hate that people spend so much time sitting in a queue to then get an error or mapserved and kicked in 5-10 minutes and go right back to the end. I was talking to people in chat about it and it seriously made me want to cry. I love this game, I know you guys do too, and I want us all to be able to enjoy it again.

I promise the devs and admins are aware of the issues and concerns. And I promise they're working on solutions to improve literally everything. Is this ideal? Obviously not. But it gives the servers some semblance of stability so they don't have to restart every couple hours. Because restarting servers takes up their time. So instead of doing upgrades and improvements, they're stuck with basic maintenance and spinning it up. We don't want that to be their time sink for now.

Everything will get better. Please remember this server was stood up.. what, like 4 and a half days ago? And there are maybe 7-8k people trying to log in at the same time. That's absolutely incredible. Our player base is growing faster than our hardware, so for anyone saying "well it was fine two days ago," we literally have twice as many people trying to get in. It is not, and has not, been fine. And that's okay, we're getting there. Be patient. Hit the queue and go for a run. Call your mum. Remote in and see where you're at, and adjust. And if you can't do that, that's fine too. We all want to play, but maybe take another week to give us a chance to get better. Or for someone else to pop up another server, which will happen eventually. Just bear with us - it affects us all the same way. We have non-GM and non-admin accounts to play with and they have to sit in a queue too, so trust me, we're right there with you.

I was in-game at 5:00 (mountan time). Went to get some dinner, got back and ate. Got in the queue at 6:30. Was able to get back in-game at 9:30.

Had a tiny power flicker at 10:50 and I'm back in the queue again for what looks to be like another 3 hours.

There has to be some kind of balance so the wait time can be cut down. I understand the need and the requirement of the queue to keep the servers from experiencing what may look like a mock 'DDOS attack'. But 3 hours is a bit much when unexpected things like a power flicker can kill 6 hours of playtime.

Because I am hard you will not like me. But more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair...

~Gny. Sgt. Heartman, Full Metal Jacket

I am the 'Slow Moving Madness'. I am Wandering Mania.

I think people fail to remember this is not some company with millions to spend on servers etc. This whole endeavor with Torchbearer etc is... a week old. There are going to be quite a few bumps in the road ahead - you can either recognize this and deal with them... or complain that the free game you you haven't spent a dime on in over 6 years isn't everything you want it to be.

I was super excited about double xp weekend. I managed to get one toon from 8 to 12 and another toon from 2 to 12. Not exactly a lot of play time on a double xp day hahaha. But while I waited I spent time on the new MIDs working on builds for future characters.

The whole negativity from some people baffles me. The code is out there - if you think you can do better you do have the option of running your own server. I will patiently wait for things to improve... I waited 6.5 years - a few days or weeks is not that big of a deal... especially since it's not costing me anything. I guess I was taught to be more grateful for things than some people....

• Retired Game Master

There has to be some kind of balance so the wait time can be cut down. I understand the need and the requirement of the queue to keep the servers from experiencing what may look like a mock 'DDOS attack'. But 3 hours is a bit much when unexpected things like a power flicker can kill 6 hours of playtime.

You'd think so, but.. there fundamentally isn't. You want to know the biggest reason? On the test server last week, the highest concurrent players was 2800. When Torchbearer launched, they hit 3400 on day one. You want to know how many people were trying to log in (and, if possible, would have been playing concurrently?) 8,000. We simply can't scale that rapidly, period. This method allows some people the ability to play, which is better than nothing. Maybe you aren't one of the lucky ones and I am fundamentally sorry., but look at it from an everyone perspective, not a you perspective. We simply can't support the demand at this point, period. I wish we had but a better answer, but the devs have improved stability and added features literally every day this server has existed. Have some patience. Bear with us.

I CANNOT stress this enough.  You are all doing a wonderful and amazing job, under impossible circumstances.  You are self paying for two servers and manning them around the clock.

I believe, 17 years ago I came across an Article online detailing and you massively multiplayer online while playing games that featured superheroes. I got interested, and started reading everything that I could about the game. I read an article online detailing a new massively multiplayer online while playing game that featured superheroes. I got interested, and started reading everything that I could about the game. I  eagerly anticipated the release of the game, and as soon as it was out I am newly purchased my first copy city of heroes.

I couldn’t believe how much fun the game was, I played it every day. Unfortunately through the years I’ve played on and off a little bit less. Eventually I ended up leaving the game, and playing something else. When I heard that city of heroes shutting down, I was extremely sad.

To be able to play this game seven years after the servers shut down, is an amazing feeling. I am sure that everyone would agree, that they would rather be in game playing  then sitting in the queue. However, on some level we all understand the reasoning behind this, and know that it will get better.

Keep up the great work, and I am sure I will eventually get into the game and be able to play.

Afterthought: when the dust settles, and the donations start flowing. Make sure to not go overboard and purchase one hundred servers, and have to close 95 of them. 

I look forward to seeing you all in Paragon City.