TPN Itrial mechanics - Telepathists

Spectral

I tried to gather this info but my google-fu (and City-Of-Data-fu) but failed...

In the TPN Itrial... does anybody know:

- how long the telepathists stay (1 minute? more?), if they don't get killed, do they despawn?

- can they double spawn (2+ telepathists for the same group of protesters) ?

- can other CC outside of confuse be used on them? sleep, ...? how does that affect their "turn protesters" aura?

- what about "unaffected" powers (Sonic Cage, Detention Field, ...) cast on the telepath?

- what about "unaffected" powers (Dimension Shift) cast on protesters? (Black Hole would not work here...)

- is their confuse protection mag 3? mag 4? (i've heard it has to be dominators, but controllers seem to be able to do it as well?)

- if 2 turned+confused protesters kill each other (contagious confusion) without ever getting damage from players, does that reduce public opinion? (normally you don't get credit/xp if confused stuff kill each other, right? so this should not affect public opinion?)

I know the classic way to do that Itrial is "confuse or kill", I just would like to understand why that is "the only acceptable way to do this trial". Are there alternatives (even sub-optimal)? Which ones... 🙂

Edited by Spectral

3 hours ago, Spectral said:

I tried to gather this info but my google-fu (and City-Of-Data-fu) but failed...

In the TPN Itrial... does anybody know:

- how long the telepathists stay (1 minute? more?), if they don't get killed, do they despawn?

They show up 1 min after you have to start jumping between the 3 buildings to click the 4 terminals.  They stay around until you can reach the 500pt total for the round and respawn after 10s or so when killing one. 

- can they double spawn (2+ telepathists for the same group of protesters) ?

Nope there's only one per line that spawns, a full league of 24 people will see 6 lines, typically though most leagues won't have the full amount so you'll likely see 5 lines

- can other CC outside of confuse be used on them? sleep, ...? how does that affect their "turn protesters" aura?

Confuse powers are the only CC that affect them with great benefit.  It causes them to not turn as many protesters, turns off that debuff they emit and turns that small damage aura onto each other.  Its a slow kill one perma dom can manage outside on their own as opposed to having a dedicated 3-5 people outside constantly killing the telepaths which can be chaos.  The other thing is that the damage aura kills the protesters which doesn't count as kills against your team so they are even helping keep the area clear with that aura.  

- what about "unaffected" powers (Sonic Cage, Detention Field, ...) cast on the telepath?

Nope they will still animate their protester aggro and the debuff stays.  So there will be tons of turned protesters outside for your team to trip over if you don't manage the telepaths and your team stays big time debuffed throughout.

- what about "unaffected" powers (Dimension Shift) cast on protesters? (Black Hole would not work here...)

Same

- is their confuse protection mag 3? mag 4? (i've heard it has to be dominators, but controllers seem to be able to do it as well?)

They are boss level which Dominators in domination can one hit with a confuse and move along to the next telepath.  This is all about efficiency if you're doing the confuse route and only a perma dom can instantly confuse them and maintain the control until they can get back to that telepath with another confuse.  Things like power boost also help since it increases the duration that the confuse will last, my dom can easily solo outside with all 6 telepaths thanks to power boosting.

- if 2 turned+confused protesters kill each other (contagious confusion) without ever getting damage from players, does that reduce public opinion? (normally you don't get credit/xp if confused stuff kill each other, right? so this should not affect public opinion?)

The telepaths damage aura eventually will kill any protester they may have turned and no it doesn't count against you.

I know the classic way to do that Itrial is "confuse or kill", I just would like to understand why that is "the only acceptable way to do this trial". Are there alternatives (even sub-optimal)? Which ones... 🙂

Managing the outside is crucial in this.  Although it doesn't seem like it would matter much, having too may protesters outside increases the chances a few could accidently be killed by your team and the protesters will damage the building with no one else to aggro to which is one of those health bars on the status display that pops up.  Of the itrials this is the one I've seen fail most and it's all because of outside.  

Edited by Mezmera

Sigh... I totally realize the tried and true version of that trial. But I like to know if there are other - less optimal ways - because franky, the "kill them" route sucks... (yes, you can do it with just 2 good fire blasters) so if I don't have enough people with mind-doms (who seem to be the only acceptable doms to be allowed to do this), what are my options, knowing that most trollers and doms are "useless" inside, so might as well figure out how they can do stuff outside...?

6 hours ago, Mezmera said:

Confuse powers are the only CC that affect them with great benefit.  It causes them to not turn as many protesters, turns off that debuff they emit and turns that small damage aura onto each other.

Not turn as many? From what I've seen myself, if confused: they don't turn anything... so your confuse likely ran out...

Did you test if sleeps still allow them to turn? or the unaffected-bubbles? like really actually test, or is that just hear-say?

Nope they will still animate their protester aggro and the debuff stays.  So there will be tons of turned protesters outside for your team to trip over if you don't manage the telepaths and your team stays big time debuffed throughout.

Of course they will animate it... but will it still turn protesters? did you test this or do you just think/believe that's what happens?

I guess I'll end up testing this myself at some point to know for sure...

I got a few people who - like me - have master of all itrials ... at that point doing it over and over is basically farming. I like understanding and trying new ways, I really just wanted to know if others had already tried this and what the result was.

The telepaths damage aura eventually will kill any protester they may have turned and no it doesn't count against you.

Ok, I'll trust you on this, thank you, good to know.

Of the itrials this is the one I've seen fail most and it's all because of outside.

Sorry to hear that, if you want the "master of" head over to Reunion, itrial leaders of reunion manage the " straight master of" 8 out of 10 times... (likely 9 out of 10...)

Edited by Spectral

1 hour ago, Spectral said:

Sigh... I totally realize the tried and true version of that trial. But I like to know if there are other - less optimal ways - because franky, the "kill them" route sucks... (yes, you can do it with just 2 good fire blasters) so if I don't have enough people with mind-doms (who seem to be the only acceptable doms to be allowed to do this), what are my options, knowing that most trollers and doms are "useless" inside, so might as well figure out how they can do stuff outside...?

Well you either kill the telepaths or confuse them or let them run wild because no other control works here.  You have 3 options, confusing works with maximum efficiency, killing them works too, the third option is to let the teles do whatever you like and deal with the consequences.   

Not turn as many? From what I've seen myself, if confused: they don't turn anything... so your confuse likely ran out...

Did you test if sleeps still allow them to turn? or the unaffected-bubbles? like really actually test, or is that just hear-say?

Yes they hardly ever turn any but they will on occasion turn one.  My confuses don't run out.  Sleeps don't work to stop anything the teles want to do, the debuffs stay and they still turn the protesters.  As for dimension shifting them no I haven't tried that since I don't play one of those but if you can manage to keep up 6 dimension shifting bubbles and can talk your team into it let us know how that works.  You should know instantly if it halfway works because if you shift them one of those stacks of debuffs on you should be removed.  

Of course they will animate it... but will it still turn protesters? did you test this or do you just think/believe that's what happens?

I guess I'll end up testing this myself at some point to know for sure...

I got a few people who - like me - have master of all itrials ... at that point doing it over and over is basically farming. I like understanding and trying new ways, I really just wanted to know if others had already tried this and what the result was.

I play all kinds of control and they cannot be stopped from animating when they want to turn a protester because I have tried most control I can throw at them.  There's a reason confuse is such an efficient power in this itrial.  

Ok, I'll trust you on this, thank you, good to know.

Sorry to hear that, if you want the "master of" head over to Reunion, itrial leaders of reunion manage the " straight master of" 8 out of 10 times... (likely 9 out of 10...)

Ha unnecessary but thanks.  I have been doing the solo dom confuse method to get everyone their "Master of" since live.  If I'm on Excelsior and someone's running a TPN I will join to get people their easy master badges.  I was just saying of all of the itrials this is the one more people tend to fail because they are used to just brute forcing games.  

You couldn't have gotten a better person to respond on this one to give you more clarity.  

Edited by Mezmera