(longsword) sheathed weapon position

4th.survivor

Hey there, I've noticed some of the new sheathed weapons sit pretty high. Whatever the choice around this, some are more egregious than others. I wanted to point out the Broadsword sets Longsword specifically.  It's very much an improved version of the legacy/vanilla "sharpened 2x4" broadsword, but compared to both the legacy broadsword, broadsword, and barbarian sword, it is sitting WAY high when sheathed.  Apex appears to wear his much more naturally, so I've attached a screenshot showing this dissonance to make my point.

It may be my preference, but where it sits on Apex feels much more natural.

longsword sheath.png

• Thumbs Up 1

You're not wrong that they're positioned differently - some Broad Sword models are definitely set higher/lower than others. From a quick comparison, in-general it seems like most of the models with shorter hilts are moved up higher.

image.thumb.png.00801deafa097919278f6ac933e9b507.png

The interesting part is that the drawing animation actually lines up more naturally with the higher positioned swords. If you test it in the Power Customization tab, there's a subtle-yet-noticeable difference in where the character grabs the hilt. With sword models positioned higher, the character's grip while wielding them is in the same spot they're drawn from - while with the sword models positioned lower, the hand grasps the hilt noticeably farther from the blade/more towards the pommel. Then, in the split-second when the sword model actually appears in character's hand it's in the proper position again.

The positioning differences might be a compromise between the way the animation already worked (which was grabbing really high, given that it was never designed with the intention of drawing an actual costume-linked weapon - just faking it) and the aesthetics of where some blades would look best when situated on the character model. The larger blades with longer hilts probably needed to be positioned lower, otherwise they'd look even more jarring than the lighter blades with shorter hilts (as they'd stick out even farther).

Edited by El D
  • Thumbs Up 1

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

Pretty good photos describing the other cases. I don't disagree with EI D, and I figured the placement was mainly to line up with the hand position of the draw, but nevertheless.  As pictured it defies gravity rather intensely and I'd rather suffer something looking weird for .7 seconds rather than the entire time it's on my back XD

Thanks in any case.

Edit: Looks like it got adjusted a bit in this pass!  Gracias!

Edited by 4th.survivor