re: Game freezing since the patch today.

Zep

Had another freeze today.

Occasionally I freeze on character load as well, with a Radeon Driver Stall popup.

I'm thinking the latest version of COH does play will with the latest amd 6900xt driver.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

21 hours ago, Zep said:

I'm thinking the latest version of COH doesn't play will with the latest amd 6900xt driver.

So we're in a bit of a quandary here. 

One, CoH is NOT likely to get a recode of the game client - the Homecoming team is primarily interested in keeping the game world updated, adding missions, groups, areas, and the like, but I don't think any of them are actively working on the client code itself.  

Two, AMD is NOT going to chase down and fix a bug that only affects an older (and shuttered by the original distributor) game.  That's definitely off the table.

So, your choices are, try to revert back to an earlier version of the AMD graphics driver (and pretty much resolve never to update it ever again) or you could try running the game in a Compatibility Mode that -might- work as a workaround to the newfangled having a problem with the old-fashioned.   A third possibility is to carefully read through the patch notes of the AMD game driver, to figure out what features were added or what features were changed between the last version and this one... and then turn those features off when running CoH.

Edited by MistressOhm

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

• 3 weeks later

Just an FYI - still getting the occasional freeze. Got one last night.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

• 5 weeks later

Having jumped back in after a bit of a hiatus, this has started happening to me too.  I'm on a Ryzen 3600X and 5700XT card.  Only thing I've noticed is that it only seems to happen in teams, especially higher level ones with all the whizz bang powers effects!  Almost identical behaviour in that the the client locks up completely and the only way to free it up is an End Task through Task manager.  The exe itself appears to still be running though as process resources (CPU, Disk, RAM etc) in Task manager are changing as if the game is still actually running in the background.

I remember in days of old the settings that used to be the most resource heavy were things like bloom, particles, water effects and reflection quality.  I've turned these down for now to see if that makes any difference.

..Update.. It has.

Not a single freeze since changing those settings, where I was getting it within a few minutes of a mission start on a large team.. I guess I'm now in to changing them back one at a time to see if there's a particular culprit, but I suspect it's going to be a combination of settings.

• Thumbs Up 1