GOTG v3.0

Time to goodbye to the space oddities...

• General theme seems to be confronting the end / destiny / things that follow, and tone is... darrrrrrk. Even with epic-ized Spacehog over it.
  • We do know that this is the end of the road for James Gunn with Marvel, and Dave Bautista was keen on having Drax killed off to wrap up his arc. Dave's got a much larger range of options these days for a "big guy." Saldana is also swearing off franchises for a little while.
  • We have a Richard Scarry version of suburbia, Rocket's origin story and a very friendly otter, plus Cosmo is in the credits...
  • ...which leads us to our briefly glimpsed Scowling Big Bad. The High Evolutionary, a grumpy Mancunian (aren't they all?) who's into genetic manipulation, and created CounterEarth. Played by Chukwudi Iwuji, who joined the Gunn crew via Peacemaker.
  • Also introducing Adam Warlock (Will Poulter), who was teased in the post-credits of GOTG2. Likely antagonist-turned-ally.
  • Time to call an emergency meeting? (0:48).
  • Nice Gunn touch: Troma films regular Steve Blackehart (hell of a name to start with) written in as Steemie Blueliver.

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

MCU Drax's arc has run its course.  He was all about destroying Thanos to avenge family, and that's been done, so an ending for him would seem reasonable.

Rocket's looking scruffy in this.  Not sure why.  I'm really glad we're going to touch on his origin story.  That was one Chekov's Gun left unanswered.

Groot is looking seriously buffed in this.  Wonder what the reason is?  The previous Groot (earlier self?  Hard to tell with Groots) looked sturdy, but never this buff.

Was really surprised to see the return of Space Cthulu.  Now that they know how to kill one, I'm wondering why it was brought in?

Wondering how Adam Warlock will fit into the MCU going forward?  One of the things I disliked about Phase 4 was how fragmented it was.  There've been hints, some quite strong, about the Thunderbolts, but nothing felt like it was driving towards a goal in similar manner to phases 1-3.   I'd love to learn if Adam Warlock heralds a return to that format.  (Confession, I've not seen a few things in Phase 4 yet, so perhaps I've missed some major points that do point to a drive towards a single goal.)

Also, "a Richard Scarry version of suburbia".  Thanks @ThaOGDreamWeaver, I'd not thought of it in those terms, but I'm laughing, and now I can't get that imagery out of my head.  If we get a worm with a boot and an Oktoberfest hat, I'm going to be rolling in the aisles.

EDIT: Oh, and what happened to the Milano?  I don't recall the ship being destroyed, and I know Rocket had some tool that could completely rebuild it.  IS this the same ship, but redesigned? Possibly for a bigger crew?

Edited by Techwright

15 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Rocket's looking scruffy in this.  Not sure why. 

"What the hell. I don't got that long a lifespan anyway."

That's also a possible Chekhov's Gun. Seeking your creator for closure, more time, companionship, an explanation, an apology, revenge...

...all very Blade Runner, but none the worse for that.

The new ship (the Bowie) is introduced in Holiday Special, though I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if the Milano gets tanked during the Baconapping.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

25 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

"What the hell. I don't got that long a lifespan anyway."

That's also a possible Chekhov's Gun. Seeking your creator for closure, more time, companionship, an explanation, an apology, revenge...

...all very Blade Runner, but none the worse for that.

The new ship (the Bowie) is introduced in Holiday Special, though I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if the Milano gets tanked during the Baconapping.

1. Good point.  I'd always assumed Rocket's cybernetics extended his life, but for how long?

2. The "Bowie" eh?  Interesting.  I'd kind of avoided the Holiday Special when I heard that its design was influenced by the Star Wars Holiday Special  (I'm still in therapy), but I suppose I must go view it now.

• 2 months later

Superbowl trailer dropped:

• More Adam Warlock...
  • High Evolutionary being suitably haughty...
  • Banter with Nebula and Gamora - dating a different person from a different timeline clearly not going well...
  • ...and epic (end of the) Rainbow.

Other than that, not much new to chew over.