Possible Base Drift Clue...

PoptartsNinja

I noticed something while working on base drift on the Brick Wall (Large) items.

image.thumb.png.7302f17d9a2822d94251578d61e89a8e.png

When drifted items are selected at certain levels of precision, it appears they may have actually rotated on the Z-axis, which I think has probably incrementally shifted their X/Y coordinates:
image.thumb.png.b50a8507ffb1d0ff4d11d7f8292580ec.png

After repairing the drift this rotation seems to go away:
image.thumb.png.5e748936e119a78ef9b01948f10e657e.png

I only really noticed this because these particular items are so long.

• Like 1

That’s been a long standing bug going all the way back to the secret server. I’ve never seen anything move that much tho. 

Im sure it has something to do with the way collision has been removed and or reduced from the models.

Edited by Arc-Mage

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

I found a little more evidence that base drift might actually be rotation-related. There is a brick wall piece in the same base from above that is now permanently askew:

Here it is on one end:
image.thumb.png.c530ddf89a7e4156b4e903d3befd72fd.png

And here is that same piece at the other end:
image.thumb.png.3696bf5cff1130cd60a153536007daa5.png

I've also got video evidence that the offset is now permanent for this particular piece:

• Thumbs Up 1

AFAIK, Base shift happens because you're placing/rotating things off-grid.

When you place something, it's position and rotation are saved as coordinates, like we have in-game when you use /loc: 3.5 10.25 -15.01

Those decimal points only save up to 3 or so places: 10.025, -80.064, 100.128 etc. When you go off grid, the coordinates can be something like 10.007030293639262733649, and the base editor is like "wtf do I do with this?"

Or something idk.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can see I'm at building at grid size 1/2, which is generally pretty safe and on-grid especially for those particular brick walls. 80% of this particular base is in bounds (I like taking advantage of the impassable invisible ceiling to make fake city skylines) and these particular brick walls are just below the standard ceiling height. They should be about as safe from base drift as possible considering they don't even line up at grid size 1.

I'm just hoping maybe I caught something new/unknown that will help pin the problem down.

Edited by PoptartsNinja
  • Like 1

I believe what Emperor means by off grid, is that the item is being placed at a different decimal point then what the game originally was designed. I don’t believe he means off the map or the edge of the grid area.

Edited by Arc-Mage

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.