'no fade no pulse' appearance option on dark armor toggles

machopi

• 3 months later
  • Retired Developer

Split from costume bug thread. Probably needs more information on exactly which power(s) you think aren't WAI.

Note:

• Minimal FX options are subjective by whoever made them and uses them and does not mean "No FX At All".
  • Dark Armor for Brutes seems to have an odd mix of "Minimal FX", "No Fade or Pulse" (I don't know what this means since I don't play the powerset. Is it just another name for 'Minimal FX'? or is it specifically 1 or 2 components of the main FX it's supposed to remove?), missing "Soul Noir" for some powers (I don't know if this is intended).

• 7 months later

Dark Armor: Dark Embrace has an effect where your entire character pulses to your FX color. There are multiple that have it,  I think it's also associated with the minimal FX option for most powers.

I find it incredibly nauseating, I assume that's why they made a version of the fx that (isn't supposed to?) have it.  That customization option appears to be broken though, it's only slightly slowing it rather than eliminating it.  I think it's slowing it rather than entirely stopping it. (or maybe I've removed some of the sources of the blinking, it's blinking at least less)

Edited by veeforveectory
correction

On 6/9/2023 at 8:25 PM, Naomi said:

Split from costume bug thread. Probably needs more information on exactly which power(s) you think aren't WAI.

Note:

• Minimal FX options are subjective by whoever made them and uses them and does not mean "No FX At All".
  • Dark Armor for Brutes seems to have an odd mix of "Minimal FX", "No Fade or Pulse" (I don't know what this means since I don't play the powerset. Is it just another name for 'Minimal FX'? or is it specifically 1 or 2 components of the main FX it's supposed to remove?), missing "Soul Noir" for some powers (I don't know if this is intended).

Not OP, but I've also been frustrated with this recently and did some testing on the beta server. I think everything is WAI on Scrappers and all other archetypes have bugs.

I believe the "fade" part refers to Cloak of Darkness turning you invisible and the "pulse" refers to the effect of Dark Embrace, Murky Cloud, and Obsidian Shield which makes your character turn completely black for a moment every few seconds. Both No Fade or Pulse and Minimal FX disable the Cloak of Darkness invisibility on all ATs, but the pulsing effect is inconsistent between powers and between ATs. (Minimal FX removes or reduces various darkness tendril effects in addition to affecting the fading/pulsing.)

• Dark Embrace: Pulses by default. On all but Brutes, the pulsing is disabled by No Fade or Pulse. On Brutes, No Fade or Pulse is identical to Color Tintable and there is no way to disable the pulsing without switching to Soul Noir. (There is no Minimal FX option for this power.)
  • Murky Cloud: On Scrappers, this pulses by default and both No Fade or Pulse and Minimal FX disable the pulsing. On all other ATs, it doesn't pulse by default and there is no No Fade or Pulse option. However, on Brutes, Stalkers, and Sentinels it does pulse with Minimal FX on. There is no way to make it pulse on Tankers.
  • Obsidian Shield: Pulses by default. On all ATs, the No Fade or Pulse option disables the pulsing. On Scrappers and Sentinels the Minimal FX option also disables the pulsing, but on Brutes, Tankers, and Stalkers it doesn't.

The biggest problem is definitely the fact that No Fade or Pulse doesn't work properly on Brute Dark Embrace, but the other inconsistencies are also annoying.

Edited by Tatterhood
  • Like 1