(Corruptor) Scourging Blast

Godravage

Can somebody explain this set to me? How does it work exactly? I have a level 50 plus corruptor, and I would like to upgrade the enhancements to something better than just 53 damage SO enhancements, but this set confuses me. The damage output is actually less than if you have a slotted enhancement of just 53. I get you can upgrade them to superior but even then, the damage output is less. Also, how does the set bonus work? Do you have to have one of each enhancement from the set slotted in one single power to get the bonus or can I put one in many different powers to get the set bonus? Thanks!

You have to put the full set or partial set into a power in order to get the set bonuses. You can also partition it into 2 across 3 powers to get the end set bonus 3 times. The set is most often split across 2 powers to get the 3 set bonus twice which is the huge global recharge enhancement.

The individual enhancements are just fine for dmg and goes well past the cap. There is a point in a power where you hit a cap and start experiencing diminishing returns for more dmg/acc/rech etc.

The +end proc goes off at 3 procs per minute and doesn't require the set bonuses - it just needs to be slotted in a power. The Superior version creates a 20ft radius pbaoe that gives 7.5% end and 80 health to everyone it hits. Basically just a nice little end buff.

My personal preference is to -usually- put it into 2 longer recharging aoe's because the set boosts recharge very well. It can also help the proc go off in a longer recharging power. Then mix up the set to maximize any acc/dmg/rech those powers need and fill the rest with procs or a different 3 set.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

For my Corruptors, I usually have done this slotting(*1):

Malice of the Corruptor: 6-slot in the attack taken at Level 1

Scourging Blast: I split this into two 3-slots, occasionally this is a single 6-slot.. depending on what other set bonuses the build will have. The three pieces with Recharge tend to go into a lower-level power, unless a long base-recharge AoE is a better fit(*2) . The other three non-Recharge pieces tend to go into an AoE power that I will add %damage procs to.

(*1) This is at final build, often I do things sightly differently with the ATO while leveling up.

(*2) Long base recharge is inherently better for %damage, as are AoE attacks.  The early attacks tend to have high base recharge, so slotting pieces that grant set bonuses while boosting the recharge component of an already fast power makes those early powers a "good fit" for more complete enhancement sets IMO. The Corruptor melee/ranged damage scales are IIRC only at 0.75, so I tend to consider the larger AoE powers first when considering %damage on Corrs. Mileage varies depending on available powers, other build choices, etc.

The Scourging Blast's %+End is more important early than it will (probably be) later... I try to keep that in an attack I will have relatively early, but I don't specifically try to include that in a long-recharge power. I take the hit on %proc rates, because I'd rather have a low chance in an already low-damage attack I am likely to be spamming.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/28/2023 at 12:44 PM, Godravage said:

The damage output is actually less than if you have a slotted enhancement of just 53.

One thing you'll need to grapple with if you want to optimize your slotting is Enhancement Diversification (usually abbreviated as ED).  To simplify for this discussion on damage slotting, any damage enhancement value over 100% is mostly wasted.  You get diminishing returns on slotted enhancement values increasingly starting at 70% and radically increasing as you reach 100%.  So slotting 100% damage enhancement will net you 95% actual enhancement value.  Slotting 133% will net you 99.5%.  So it's not really worth it to go past 100% generally.

If you look at the totals for one of that ATO sets, you'll see they go well past the 100% ED diminishing returns limit, so they have a lot of extra wasted value.  Not a problem if you want the 5 or 6-piece bonus, but no you're generally not going to get significantly better values from slotting generic enhancements.  If you total up the enhancement values of all aspects of a multi-aspect set IO, you'll see that they add up to more than a single-aspect's value.

So for example if you look at the Obliteration set, the damage enhancement at level 50 will give you 42.4% damage enhancement.  The 4 aspect Accuracy/Damage/Enhancement/Recharge gives 18.5% to each.  So 42.4% is way better than 18.5%, right?  Well the 4-aspect enhancement is giving you a total of 74% enhancement.  So if you want to increase multiple aspects, you can do it in fewer slots with multi-aspect enhancements.  Doing this without regard to set bonuses is usually referred to as Franken-slotting.

Slotting most sets up to 4 or more pieces will often get you a nice mix of enhancement to many different power attributes, but there are certain sets that even fully slotted will not increase everything as much as you'd like.  ATOs usually boost the main attribute (damage usually but not always) past the ED limit, as well as recharge.

Anyway, point being you're not losing out on damage by slotting an ATO set in an attack.

• 3 months later