Electric / Energy / Electric review request

Drederik

Here is the first version of my build.  This is my first sentinel and my first shot of actually building one from the ground up.  I used some guidelines from some other builds I have seen.  I don't mind having to spend a little influence here as this is going to be with end of build in mind.  

I could remove Stealth for Power Drain or Remove Stealth to get 3 powers from the EP (Electric or Psi) once I feel like I have the base of the build down.  I could also remove Havoc Punch for Voltaic Sentinel and turn it into a proc attack as I think that is the trendy thing to do with VS these days.  I feel like lots of options are open at the end of the build but really like how the powers sit early on

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

image.thumb.png.20f16b453aab2fdcfd193e37ee32b1d1.png

Sentinel - Helmut Spargle v1.mbd

Edited by Drederik

The first thing that sticks out is that it looks like Mids is giving you your defense values out of combat...Stealth's defense buff is heavily reduced in battle. Evasive Manuevers doesn't give you any defense in battle (but it does help with mobility). You can go into your options/configuration go to the Effects & Math tab, under the Suppression area you can click the checkboxes for attacked, ActivateAttackClick, and MissionObjectClick. This will display your true defenses. 

Tesla Cage should be slotted as an attack power, because unlike other ATs, the Sentinel variant of this power does real damage. Charge Up should hold the Gaussian Build Up proc. Hasten should be 2-slotted with boosted 50+5 recharge IO's. Power Armor should be slotted for both Healing and Resistance, because it boosts your max HP as well as resists. I'm not sure if Chain Fences is really necessary here, and it might be getting smashed by the nerf hammer in the future so maybe consider swapping it for something else. 

I'll post a revised version of the build in a while, still running some missions in-game. 

Edited by FupDup
  • Thumbs Up 1

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

12 minutes ago, FupDup said:

The first thing that sticks out is that it looks like Mids is giving you your defense values out of combat...Stealth's defense buff is heavily reduced in battle. Evasive Manuevers doesn't give you any defense in battle (but it does help with mobility). You can go into your options/configuration go to the Effects & Math tab, under the Suppression area you can click the checkboxes for attacked, ActivateAttackClick, and MissionObjectClick. This will display your true defenses. 

Tesla Cage should be slotted as an attack power, because unlike other ATs, the Sentinel variant of this power does real damage. Charge Up should hold the Gaussian Build Up proc. Hasten should be 2-slotted with boosted 50+5 recharge IO's. Power Armor should be slotted for both Healing and Resistance, because it boosts your max HP as well as resists. I'm not sure if Chain Fences is really necessary here, and it might be getting smashed by the nerf hammer in the future so maybe consider swapping it for something else. Try to get a 6th slot into Ball Lightning because Positron's Blast has a good global recharge bonus at 6 slots. 

I'll post a revised version of the build in a while, still running some missions in-game. 

Thanks for the MIDS tip, still new at building these

So I count 7 attacks if I were to keep HP but drop Chain Fences so VS may be better there then.  If I can take 1 slot from TC and to give to BL and 1 slot from CF and give to Hasten, I could just use VS with 4 procs?

Here is a revised variant, swapping some stuffs around and boosting whatever didn't benefit from staying attuned. I reordered some of the powers, but you can probably swap the positions of Boxing and Stealth (I didn't notice that until after posting this). 

image.thumb.png.3bc2c45c6d2c8a0a36f4696a421a85b7.png

Sentinel - Helmut Spargle v2.mbd

Edited by FupDup

27 minutes ago, FupDup said:

Here is a revised variant, swapping some stuffs around and boosting whatever didn't benefit from staying attuned. I reordered some of the powers, but you can probably swap the positions of Boxing and Stealth (I didn't notice that until after posting this). 

image.thumb.png.3bc2c45c6d2c8a0a36f4696a421a85b7.png

Sentinel - Helmut Spargle v2.mbd 44.16 kB · 1 download

TYVM!!  So why Lightning Field over VS?  Also, where could I pull another slot to get the 6th Postiron?

5 minutes ago, Drederik said:

TYVM!!  So why Lightning Field over VS?  Also, where could I pull another slot to get the 6th Postiron?

I was wrong about Position - The 6 slot bonus is actually just toxic/psi resists, not recharge. I must've been thinking of a different set. I deleted that line from my previous post to avoid further confusion. It can stay at 5 slots. 

I chose Lightning over Voltaic Sent because your first build didn't have VS, so I presumed that you didn't want it. I guess Lightning does also have some benefits in that it does AOE damage (and also helps a little bit with ST in close range) while Voltaic is purely single target. Also, depending on the clearing speed of your team, the VS might or might not be able to keep up all of the time. You can go either way with it really. 

Edited by FupDup

2 minutes ago, FupDup said:

I was wrong about Position - The 6 slot bonus is actually just toxic/psi resists, not recharge. I must've been thinking of a different set. I deleted that line from my previous post to avoid further confusion. It can stay at 5 slots. 

I chose Lightning over Voltaic Sent because your first build didn't have VS, so I presumed that you didn't want it. I guess Lightning does also have some benefits in that it does AOE damage (and also helps a little bit with ST in close range) while Voltaic is purely single target. Also, depending on the clearing speed of your team, the VS might or might not be able to keep up all of the time. You can go either way with it really. 

I see, I was just thinking this build may have enough AoE with 4 attacks that can at least hit more than one target.  I know what you mean about it keeping up though, I have an Electric/Kin Corruptor and it always seems to be bringing up the rear

Thanks again, I will play around with this but the tweak is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for to build my knowledge 

I just thought up another change overnight...the +5 Steadfast Protection resist/endurance piece can be replaced with Unbreakable Guard res/end. The result is that gain 2.25% more en/neg resists in set bonuses and a tiny bit more S/L resist because it would give stronger enhancement to Tough. 

Another change could be replacing Thunderstrike in Lightning Bolt with 5 slots of Winter's Bite. This would give you a bit more energy/negative defenses and save 1 slot, and would bring your slow resist up to 95%. For that free slot, you could choose to slot something for survival like more a regen or psi resistance proc, complete the Synapse set in Short Circuit for 4.5% en/neg resistances, or add a damage proc to Tesla Cage for a little more offense, or maybe something else. 

• 2 months later