Monetization of the game (player made cosmetics?)

So, I don't know the details of the license.....but I'd love for the game to get more financial resources to scale up the dev team and go full-time (instead of relying on just volunteer work). 

Going subscription would be one way, but I think the goal of the server is to remain free.

Instead, what about allowing players to create and sell new costume pieces? With some sort of rev split between the homecoming staff and the creator of the item?

This would accomplish a few goals.

1) More money for development!!!
2) More costume pieces!!
3) Keeps everything free to play as is, and just adds a bunch of optional stuff. 

Keep the prices per cosmetic item low, or let the creator set the price (10 cents? 50 cents?). And suddenly you have a new way to generate a lot of extra revenue without it being heavy handed.

This is what I do for work on another platform, so I know this sort of model can really expand the types of options available. Start it off small with people who apply and an approval process for items.... with requirements on vert counts and texture sizes to keep everything performance focused. 

But then just do weekly or monthly updates with new item packs. ((Maybe also give creators the option to make some for free, so new item pack releases have some free ones too)).

Anyhow, not sure if the license would allow something like this, but getting more money flowing would be a great thing on the project for longer term growth and longevity 🙂 

• Thumbs Down 2

• Jimmy locked this topic