How You Can Help Homecoming

Jimmy

• City Council

Hello everyone!

Over the past year we’ve had many, many players asking how they can help Homecoming. There are answers out there, but they tend to be a bit scattered and outdated, so we thought it might be best to put together a comprehensive post covering all the ways you’re able to help.

Donations
The most obvious method is also the one we get the most questions about, so here’s a few quick answers:

• Homecoming holds a donation window on the last Saturday of each month at around 13:00 Eastern
  • At the beginning of each donation window we post a breakdown of our costs and expenses for the month up in the Finances & Donations forum
  • We only take the exact amount we need to cover our expenses for the next month, plus any incidental costs and any amount required to refill our $1,250 contingency fund
  • Once we’ve raised the necessary amount, the donation window closes, and you’ll need to wait until the next one if you wish to contribute
  • The Finances & Donations FAQ has more information on (you guessed it!) finances and donations

We understand that missing the donation window can be frustrating, which is one of the main reasons we put this post together - there are other ways to contribute that are just as valuable as donations.

Development
Head on over to our Developer Application Form if you're interested in joining the development team.

Volunteering as a Game Master

We couldn’t run Homecoming without our fantastic team of volunteer Game Masters. They put in countless hours every week responding to support tickets, helping players and generally keeping the peace. It’s hard - and sometimes thankless - work, but it is necessary in order to keep the game running smoothly.

We’re always on the lookout for new GMs, so if you’re interested please fill out our new GM Application Form and we’ll get back to you if you’re a suitable candidate! (Note: We keep applications on file until we need more GMs - we'll be in touch when we need you!)

While we want everyone who's interested in volunteering to apply, we’re in real need of volunteers that tick any of the following boxes:

• Players that can speak at least one language on top of being fluent in English (specifically we’re looking for French, Spanish and German)
  • Mac OS and Linux experts
  • Players that are available outside of peak US hours
  • Players with in-depth knowledge of RP, Base Building or Architect Entertainment

Testing
We’re a small volunteer development team and have no internal QA resources - as such, we rely heavily on bug reports and testing from our players to ensure updates are released as smoothly as possible.

If you’re willing to put a few hours here and there into testing upcoming patches, please read the Homecoming Beta FAQ to get started!

Discord Nitro

If you have a Discord Nitro subscription, please consider using your boost on our Discord! It allows us to consider to maintain several cool benefits for our server.

By boosting the server you'll get a nifty pink username and access to an entirely pointless Pocket D VIP Club channel on Discord.

Generally Being Cool
    Last but not least, something for everyone: Generally Being Cool.

What do we mean by this? Well, it’s pretty simple:

• Be kind to your fellow players.
    • Answer questions where you can.
    • Follow the Code of Conduct and encourage others to do so too.
    • Teach newcomers the ropes.
    • Don’t be uncool.

Doing these things not only helps everyone enjoy the game more, but also lessens the load on our volunteer team - which means they too can spend more time enjoying the game!

That’s all for today. Thank you again for all your continued support - we couldn’t do this without you.

- The Homecoming Team

• Like 25
    • Thanks 18
    • Confused 1
    • Thumbs Up 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

I can do the generally being cool thing!  I like showing new people where things are at or how to find stuff on paragonwiki.

I am however uncool when I want to rob banks....  Maybe I will reform.

• Like 4

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

3 hours ago, British Battler said:

And it's arsehole in British, darn colonials forgetting the correct spelling of everything these days hehe 😉

And you people still get uptight about patting someone on the fanny, but think nothing of knocking up casual acquaintances...😉

Edited by srmalloy
    • Haha 4

15 hours ago, tafilr said:

I was considering applying but I would have a hard time with the "keeping the peace" aspect.  Some of the people around here....

Surely if Paragon City has taught us nothing else, it's that the peace is best kept with FIRE.

• Haha 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

Has there been any consideration to a "Guide" system? EQ implemented that a long time ago, where a player could send a question to a static guide name account, and while any actual resolving might need to be escalated, it freed the GM's up to do actual GM stuff. A la Level 1 / Level 2 help desks.

Just more of a formal Helper tag, I suppose.

• City Council
    1 hour ago, XERONUS said:

Hi Jimmy,
    Are you still taking costume patterns and textures from the community, because I'm working on some for the game right now?!

Not right now, but hopefully soon. Keep an eye on the announcements!

• Like 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

11 hours ago, Chebeq said:

Has there been any consideration to a "Guide" system? EQ implemented that a long time ago, where a player could send a question to a static guide name account, and while any actual resolving might need to be escalated, it freed the GM's up to do actual GM stuff. A la Level 1 / Level 2 help desks.

Help channel, Paragon Wiki (though it's slightly incorrect in spots), these forums, Discord.   There's plenty of help available for basic stuff, we just need to get the word out and people to actually get off their lazy [censored] and actually use them.

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
    (Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

20 hours ago, Silverbolt said:

Would you ever be open to accepting donations beyond what you need every month? If so, would having more funds be beneficial in any way to content creation going forward, such as funding new dev tools or team members?

I think that, if the status of Homecoming can be regularized -- i.e., the talks with NCsoft conclude with HC acquiring some sort of legitimate status -- then it may happen, depending on the terms of the agreement with NCsoft. Barring any information regarding that, however, any speculation is bootless.

The Homecoming staff have already said -- repeatedly -- that they're not taking donations over operating costs because they don't want to the perception of "making money off of NCsoft's IP" to raise the chances of being slapped with a C&D letter. As long as HC is running under NCsoft's forbearance (for whatever reason they have), complicating the situation isn't going to help.

• Like 1

I can't thank the GMs and the Dev team enough for all of this!  I used to love playing this game in the days of live with my youth programs at the youth center where I used to volunteer.  After a major motorcycle crash, I am almost force retired.  I still work with the county office of education part time and help kids as much as I can.  But generally, I have had a poor experience dealing with adults.  This game, these servers and the COH homecoming family has brought back hope to my life and I look forward to rushing home every day just to get on and chat with my real family.... online, here.  As soon as my schedule clears up a bit from my focus on my health and getting back to my shape where at least I don't worry about my heart and body any more, I would love to dedicate time and volunteer and help out in anyway I can.   Thank you all for being so cool and making this possible.  To some like myself it means more than you would ever realize.

• Like 11