Howling Gale: A Storm/Sonic Defender

Hjarki

This is a build I've been playing for a while with a great deal of success, so I thought I'd post it for discussion.

Build

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Defender

Primary Power Set: Storm Summoning

Secondary Power Set: Sonic Attack

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: O2 Boost -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(3), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(3), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(5), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(5), NmnCnv-Heal(7)

Level 1: Shriek -- Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), Thn-Acc/Dmg(9), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(9), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(11), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11)

Level 2: Scream -- Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), Thn-Acc/Dmg(13), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(15), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(15), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17)

Level 4: Howl -- SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg(21), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(21), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), Range-I(25)

Level 6: Steamy Mist -- Rct-ResDam%(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), LucoftheG-Rchg+(27), Rct-Def/EndRdx(27), Rct-Def(29), Ags-Psi/Status(45)

Level 8: Freezing Rain -- Slow-I(A), RechRdx-I(29), RechRdx-I(31)

Level 10: Shockwave -- SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprVglAss-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Empty(33), Empty(33), Range-I(33)

Level 12: Hurricane -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(34), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(34), DarWtcDsp-Rchg/EndRdx(34)

Level 14: Hover -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(40)

Level 16: Shout -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%(37)

Level 18: Super Speed -- Clr-Stlth(A)

Level 20: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37)

Level 24: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 26: Tornado -- ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(39), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(39), FrcFdb-Rechg%(40), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(40)

Level 28: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)

Level 32: Lightning Storm -- Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), Thn-Acc/Dmg(42), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(43), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43)

Level 35: Screech -- Stp-Acc/Rchg(A), Stp-EndRdx/Stun(48), Stp-Acc/EndRdx(48), Stp-Stun/Rng(50), Stp-Acc/Stun/Rchg(50), Stp-KB%(50)

Level 38: Dreadful Wail -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(46), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(46), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Obl-%Dam(48)

Level 41: Shark Skin -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(43), ImpSki-Status(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45)

Level 44: Hibernate -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 47: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 49: Amplify -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 2: Rest -- IntRdx-I(A)

Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)

Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(17)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), PrfShf-End%(19), PrfShf-EndMod(19)

------------

Powers Not Taken

• Gale. Redundant with Shockwave.
  • Snow Storm. Knocking fliers from the air is a weakness of the build, but Snowstorm is just too weak to justify taking in my mind.
  • Thunder Clap. Horrible power - MAG 2 PBAoE Stun just isn't very useful.
  • Siren’s Song. The only power not taken from Sonic Blast is simply a casualty of slotting. Siren’s Song really demands 4+ slots (and potentially 6). An argument could be made for taking this instead of Screech and using 5-slot Call of the Sandman coupled with IO Range. However, this would reduce the build’s Ranged Defense by 3.16%. Dealer’s choice - the lost Ranged Defense can easily be made up by an Alpha slot.

Pools

• Flight. Hover is a LotG mule and a useful defensive tool.
  • Leaping. Combat Jumping is another bit of a defense.
  • Leadership. LotG mules and nice benefits with Defender advantage in this pool.
  • Speed. Super Speed is the primary fast movement and additional stealth while Hasten is nearly mandatory on all builds.

Replacing Leaping with Fighting and scavenging a few powers elsewhere (Amplify and Assault most likely) would boost defense/resists at the expense of endurance.

Patron Pool

Leviathan Mastery is chosen for one reason: Hibernate. Because of the way Storm Summoning works, you can start a battle and then just Hibernate through a pile of Freezing Rain/Tornado/Lightning Storm damage. It also provides a self-healing power that works better than Aid Self at keeping you alive.

Notes on Slotting

• Vigilant Assault. Vigilant Assault gives a recharge bonus at 3 slots, so I split it between the two AE powers. Moreover, it’s far better than any actual AE sets. Note that the two unoccupied slots in Shockwave belong to Sudden Acceleration to transform its knockback into knockdown. Frankenslotting the two Cones also allows slotting for Range.
  • Steamy Mist/Shark Skin. Defense/resist sets have a number of useful one-offs and I try to pack in as many as possible.
  • Thunderstrike. The heavy use of this set is for Ranged Defense (3.75% 6-slotted). Otherwise, it's a fairly generic set.
  • Freezing Rain. Slow/Defense Debuff sets just aren't very good, so this ends up with standard IO slotting. With HOs, a slot can be freed up for elsewhere.
  • Health/Stamina. Standard slotting here - most characters should have this.

General Techniques

For single target, Shriek, Shout, Shriek, Scream is about as simple as it gets. For multi-target, Howl/Shockwave is equally simple. However, it’s somewhat rare I get to run a multi-target rotation because that only comes after Freezing Rain, Tornado, Lightning Storm.

For movement, I normally run places via Super Speed (which doubles as my stacking Stealth) and Combat Jumping. If I run across a barrier too high to jump, I Hover over it. It’s not the fastest form of travel, but much of the time I get teleported around anyway. For fighting, I’m always in the air (for the defense bonus and safety of distance).

Overall, the build is what I’d term a ‘low recharge’ build. It has no powers that require being made perma and the activation times of the offensive sequence is sufficiently long that it becomes viable at relatively low levels of recharge. However, more recharge will ramp up the effectiveness of abilities like Lightning Storm and Dreadful Wail. One of the benefits of a low recharge build is that it’s also a cheap build - there are no purples involved (although both ATO sets are used), so you can kit it out without spending too much influence.

However, it’s a ‘high defense’ build - meaning that significant effort needs to be made to reach the soft cap. While this is much cheaper than trying to push the envelope on recharge, it’s also much narrower. The build focuses exclusively on Ranged Defense since there’s no intention to operate within melee range and powerful tools to ensure that it’s not forced to do so.

Incarnate

Most of the slots aren’t really all that important either way. It doesn’t really matter what pet you choose, Ion is both thematic and effective, the Destiny is personal preference and philosophically Support Destiny makes sense. The only real choice is the Alpha.

In terms of Alpha, Musculature is always an option for every build since being on a team/league tends to solve all other issues. Cardiac will address some potential issues with solo endurance costs while also increasing the range of the Cones. Spiritual and Vigor both buff a wide variety of generally useful attributes.

Conclusion

This is what I view as a highly effective Defender build. It can both group and solo very effectively. While other players might not fully appreciate what you’re bringing to the team, you’ll find that you’re rarely in a bad team - because you cover so much of what makes a team work. I’m also attempting to give a glimpse into how IO slotting influences the decisions made about a build - an issue often overlooked when players are just looking at comparisons of power sets.

Level 26: Tornado -- ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(39), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(39), FrcFdb-Rechg%(40), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(40)

I thought Force Feedback chance for +recharge in a pseudopet (like Tornado, Lightning Storm, etc.) doesn't buff you, the caster.  And it wouldn't benefit Tornado itself.  Am I wrong about that?

I thought Force Feedback chance for +recharge in a pseudopet (like Tornado, Lightning Storm, etc.) doesn't buff you, the caster.  And it wouldn't benefit Tornado itself.  Am I wrong about that?

Yes and no. Force Feedback doesn't buff you from the Tornado's damage. However, it does buff you from the Tornado's activation. Due to the relatively long recharge on Tornado, this means it tends to proc almost every activation.

Looks good, but I think there's some room for improvements.

May I ask why do you have 2 empty slots on Shockwave? Are these spare slots or some IOs that are not available in Pines?

Also, which Incarnates are you going for, so I can give you better feedback.

Long live stormies.

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.

May I ask why do you have 2 empty slots on Shockwave? Are these spare slots or some IOs that are not available in Pines?

They're Sudden Acceleration (not available in Pines) to eliminate the knockback.

Also, which Incarnates are you going for, so I can give you better feedback.

I'm currently running Spiritual, Storm Elemental, Ion, Degenerative and Support.