Hi! Long time listener, first time caller - quick question about mouse clicks.

Curveball

God I missed this game so much! OK, with that out of the way...

I've noticed that there seems to be a weird issue with mouse clicks, primarily on contact and dialog windows. Specifically, it seems like the mouse isn't recognizing that you're clicking a dialog choice/link unless I do it 2-3 times.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was wondering if it might be some kind of weird latency issue OR if it could just be that the game was designed when screen resolutions were significantly lower than they are now and the higher resolution means the game doesn't consider the mouse pointer hovering over the link on a click even when it appears to be from my perspective, OR if it's another reason entirely.

• Lead Game Master

Hey there!

So, it COULD be latency/lag. You can see a visualization of your connection by using the command /netgraph 1; if you're seeing a lot of yellow and/or red spikes or blocks, that means your connection is being throttled or losing entire packets, respectively. But if it's all green, and especially if it looks more like a mowed lawn than a grassy field, then your connection is fine, and there's another cause at play. Fixing a connection issue can be a whole 'nother can or worms, which you can ask about if that seems to be the case. You can turn this off by using the command /netgraph 0.

As for UI/resolution, eh, maybe? When trying to click on a line of dialogue, the entire line, even the blank spaces between letters or words, is part of the active field. But this "active field" only extends for a few pixels away from the sentence in all directions, so if you're just a little bit off, it may not register.

Finally, in the past, we've found quite a few cases of this to be a hardware issue- the mouse, specifically. It may need to be cleaned or replaced, even if it seems to work fine everywhere else. I'm not sure exactly why, but whenever we tell people to replace their mouse, that usually ends up working for them.

• Like 1

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

Thanks for the tip! I'd completely forgotten about /netgraph...

After messing around a bit it's pretty clear latency isn't the issue. I *think* it's user error. When hovering over the chat window, the mouse pointer turns into a tiny blue hand (VERY tiny on my ultrawide monitor) and I'm pretty sure it's the end of the finger that determines what you click instead of the fist, and apparently I insist on using the first as a guide instead. 😄