Base Portal Entry Points: Beyond The Basics (?) *shrug*

I'm probably wrong for saying this, but always felt the Supergroup Base Portal zone access points felt lazy, uninspiring and not very aesthetically pleasing.

I know Homecoming just took the time and effort placing portals in zones that didn't previously have them and relocated some in zones to a better location and I'm grateful for the new locations and coloring of Villain and Praetorian portals, so if it was a massive undertaking or if this is something not wanted in regard to the community - then I'll withdraw this suggestion per usual.

Probably a waste of time and resources to do and might be something only newcomers *might* appreciate (?).  *shrug*  Here it goes anyhoo...

Part 1

2 Unique Pavilion styles for SG Portal Access points (+2 optional)

• Tech
  • Arcane
  • Arachnos (?) - afraid it may not be aesthetically pleasing in zones that I hear people say are already not pleasant to look at.
  • Praetorian (?) - may not be different enough from tech - so probably first 3 zones tech / last 2 zones arcane (?)

Size: Approximately 4x4 in relation to SG Base floor tiles

Special F/X: Subtle and nothing overbearing.

Location: Same as present or as close as possible to their current location unless not aesthetically pleasing.

Maybe: Hue RWZ and Dark Astoria to be purple to signify Co-Op?

Note: The pavilions are not intended to be part of the portal, but merely a structure propped up around the SG Portal points.  The actual ground around the base is whatever the zone has it be.

Note: I searched for images of pavilions along the lines of what I was thinking but most were just too little or too much in aesthetics.   So I quickly assembled a Tech and Arcane examples as close as I could to what I was thinking. ..

For Tech - of course not the Rikti supports or the radar dome, but a single unit more slender pillars, subtle tech F/X and a wider smooth dome.  I'm sure someone with better artistic creativity could manipulate in-game assets to provide a better example.   I wanted to sink the base of the platform like I was able to for Arcane below to have the ring encompass the whole structure, but sinking made the outer ring disappear too much.
image.png.9ce4d4fb555b01259b0a0a0453c1b196.png

For Arcane - definitely not the rustic dome shown and something more flat with subtle arcane F/X.  I think the pillars with runic inscriptions would still be a peachy keen aspect though.  The visual of open space near the portal is closer here to what I envisioned - so quite a few could access or exit without much interference.

image.png.827fa4fabb194002182c0f9c9fe214e1.png

Part 2

2 Surveillance Emissary NPCs

• World Surveillance Emissary
  • Local Surveillance Emissary

Group Affiliation: None

Attire: Related to portal type

Location: Opposite sides of pavilion facing outwards, backs to a pillar (as shown)

Reasoning: To guide new players and providing any logging in first time daily, etc. to see system notifications missed out on.

NPC - World Surveillance Emissary (example)

Note: Tried to vary some word use on questions & responses to be casual/natural and not feel repetitive.

Note: Attempted to have dialogue work for Tech, Arcane, etc. attire.

Note: Will only report activity or inactivity in a category, will have to travel to zone for specifics.

Note: Whether or not Special is active choice all year round would be up to Devs.  Update NPC during that time or no?

Note: Special list would include Zombie Invasion, Banners, Winter Lords, etc.

Intro: "As usual, there is much to inform you of, $name.  What is your current area of interest?"

Return: "Of course.  What else can I help you with?

• Monster Activity
  • Zone Events
  • Invasions
  • Special

Monster Activity: "What region are you concerned about regarding monster activity?"

• Paragon City
  • Rogue Isles
  • Elsewhere
  • Actually, I'd like an update on something else.  ----> see Return text
  • Leave

Paragon City: "Here's what's being reported in Paragon City."

King's Row - Active or Inactive

Independence Port - Active or Inactive

• How's monster activity in Rogue Isles?
  • How's monster activity elsewhere?
  • Talk about what else is going on.   ----> see Return text
  • Leave

Rogue Isles: "Here's what's being reported in the Rogue Isles."

Cap Au Diable - Active or Inactive

Sharkhead Isle - Active or Inactive

Nerva Archipelago - Active or Inactive

Grandville - Active or Inactive

• How's monster activity in Paragon City?
  • How's monster activity elsewhere?
  • Talk about what else is going on.  ----> see Return text
  • Leave

Elsewhere: "Here's what's being reported elsewhere."

Perez Park - Active or Inactive

Boomtown - Active or Inactive

Night Ward - Active or Inactive

Croatoa - Active or Inactive

Crey's Folly - Active or Inactive

Echo: Dark Astoria - Active or Inactive

• How's monster activity in Paragon City?
  • How's monster activity in Rogue Isles?
  • Leave

Zone Events: "Any particular place of interest you have in mind?"

• Paragon City
  • Rogue Isles
  • Elsewhere
  • Actually, I'd like an update on something else.  ----> see Return text
  • Leave

King's Row - Active or Inactive

Skyway City - Active or Inactive

Steel Canyon - Active or Inactive

Independence Port - Active or Inactive

Talos Island - Active or Inactive

Brickstown - Active or Inactive

• Any zone events in Rogue Isles?
  • What about zone events elsewhere?
  • Leave

Port Oakes - Active or Inactive

St. Martial - Active or Inactive

• Any zone events in Paragon City?
  • What about zone events elsewhere?
  • Leave

Nova Praetoria - Active or Inactive

Imperial City - Active or Inactive

Croatoa - Active or Inactive

• Any zone events in Paragon City?
  • Any zone events in Rogue Isles?
  • Leave

Invasions: "Any particular area of interest regarding invasions?"

• Paragon City
  • Rogue Isles
  • Elsewhere
  • Actually, I'd like an update on something else.  ----> see Return text
  • Leave

List of all eligible zone for Invasions - Active or Inactive

• Any invasions in Rogue Isles?
  • Any invasions elsewhere?
  • Leave

• Any invasions in Paragon City?
  • Any invasions elsewhere?
  • Leave

• Any invasions in Paragon City?
  • Any invasions in Rogue Isles?
  • Leave

Special: "In which area are you seeking an update on special events?"

NPC - Local Surveillance Emissary (example: Independence Port)

Note: Each zone would need its own, regardless of if the zone is eligible for any category at current time.

Note: Monster names and Zone Event names will actually be present here. location of either will not (?) .

Note: Invasions probably not needed to be shown here, since different skies should be indicator.

Note: Special events would likely need added here when active.

Note: Should allow devs to easily add details later if future update adds new element for the zone.

Intro: "Here's the regional activity being reported to me, $name."

Lusca: Active / Inactive
 Ghost Ship: Active / Inactive

• Leave

Part 3

Likely portal relocations (once again) and miscellaneous

Probably more than not would have to be relocated again and that alone probably nixes this suggestion.

Cap Au Diable (for example)

A possible new nearby location would be to remove this shack and place there?

Amenities of Black Market, Ferry, Vanguard and University all still in close proximity.

image.thumb.png.610106e5758ecb92326ccf649be25620.png

I don't know if this is any good of a suggestion or not.  I had more to go with it but feel like I've wasted enough time writing this up as is.  At least wanted to submit the bare bones foundation here for something or nothing to be built upon. 

Please note that I did not include anything that takes away from usefulness of bases such as Vendors, Trainers, Crafting Tables, Ability to take you to zone of interest or any of that jazz.  None of that is part of any suggestion I have regarding this.  I love bases too much to do that.

Three strikes and I'm out, y'all!

Best regards and happy gaming all!

*Updated 1/28/24*

Details regarding the base of the pavilion NOT intended on being a part of the SG portal.  The ground under the Portals would be what the zone dictates.

Edited by SupaFreak

Dressing up portals in our bases is simple enough. The big issue I have with dressing up the zone portals? Why would my SG base be accessed via a tech portal when it is an arcane base? Why would my tech base be accessed via an arcane portal? The advantage of the existing portals is that they are not tech or arcane. (Or anything else other than just a convenient portal.) So they are generic enough to work for any and all of my bases.

(Also, how would portal versions be decided between the zones? What zones are tech and what zones are arcane?)

• Thumbs Up 1

You can access your base via doorways that are near the portals. You will have to test which one(s) it is. 

That is an option.

The base event emissary isn't too bad, but we do have that available in chat.

Maybe a monitor that has that scrolling across it.

Or an alarm/re-alert that makes you look at your event chat

/e poofgone

8 hours ago, Rudra said:

Dressing up portals in our bases is simple enough. The big issue I have with dressing up the zone portals? Why would my SG base be accessed via a tech portal when it is an arcane base? Why would my tech base be accessed via an arcane portal? The advantage of the existing portals is that they are not tech or arcane. (Or anything else other than just a convenient portal.) So they are generic enough to work for any and all of my bases.

(Also, how would portal versions be decided between the zones? What zones are tech and what zones are arcane?)

I don't really see it as a "Tech" or "Arcane" portal - same portal in zones we currently use for all - just the pavilion would be Tech, Arcane, etc to match the surroundings as close as possible.

I, for example, have a pure 100% arcane base.  The way I see it is I just have a portal in my base that connects to where the Emissaries have world locations set up for our SG to access. 

The Emissaries typically place them close to secure locations. 

Optional: Someone creative and waaaaay more into the Lore than me can name an affiliation for them for new Lore sake(?)

Them being neutral, share the coordinates with anyone.

I just always thought it would be cool if the Zone SG Portals became a soft community hub of sorts for characters to interact.  Stopping by to check out what's going on, etc.  Frequently running into those we know (as we already do but just more fancy)

That's all.

8 hours ago, JasperStone said:

You can access your base via doorways that are near the portals. You will have to test which one(s) it is. 

That is an option.

The base event emissary isn't too bad, but we do have that available in chat.

Maybe a monitor that has that scrolling across it.

Or an alarm/re-alert that makes you look at your event chat

Yea, but even then, door to my arcane base makes even less sense.

As far as monitor - about 2-3 years ago I toyed with the idea of suggesting the old school Kiosks do what I'm suggesting Emissaries do but talking about it in Help, a lot of vets forgot they even existed or never messed with them.  So, that kinda swayed me from that.  Plus they're large and clunky and wouldn't work too well in places like Shadow Shard, etc.

Another example of why I think they'd be nice is for stuff like Sally - logging in to my usual Talos - I chat with World to see if monster activity in Croatoa - yes? - I pop over there hoping to get the soon to be 1 kill requirement for her - check the Local Emissary there - Sally: Inactive.  Eochi: Active.  Jack in Irons: Inactive.  So, in this case World knew one was up, but not which one... so I had to go and ask the Local in Croatoa.

In the mentioned example... I don't think I'm gonna get that info on LFG or other chats.  And then there's the fact a portion of the game don't like leading teams... so they'll just wait to someone that likes to lead will check for X Activity and start up a team... the latter never mentioning it on chats or missing the inquiry about it due to action in mission, etc.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention in suggestion - Even though in my images I have an item below the actual portal - the final pavilion wouldn't have that - it would *maybe* have a ring on the ground encompassing the area & connecting pillar to pillar - but the actual ground beneath the SG portal would be whatever is naturally there.  The whole idea would be your access point has been there the whole time - maybe since the beginning of time - but stuff got built around it.  Be it monorails, black market trucks parking nearby, ferries docking nearby, Wentworths popping up near it, etc.

The Emissaries (in coalition with ALL SGs) just plopped a pavilion where you access your bases and provide you with updates on activity.  If there were a way they could Default to look 1 way for members not in any SG but be customized to so that you would see your SG colors (for example)  - that would be great - but that's a faaaaaar faaaaar stretch from happening IMO. 

*adding*

And if the tech were possible that the look of the Emissaries & Pavilion would be customized to your settings on your end - that would be fantastic.  Default look for non-SG characters, but once in SG they match your settings?  Yea, that'd be dope IMO.

Like I said in Original Post - I have ideas to expand on this, involves special NPCs at other 2 columns - but just going with the basics for now.  Keeping it as simple as I can.

Edited by SupaFreak

9 hours ago, SupaFreak said:

Yea, but even then, door to my arcane base makes even less sense.

Works for the Sorcerer Supreme ... but ok

image.png.4caeb030107f2abd1b599e4fc17562b6.png

9 hours ago, SupaFreak said:

Another example of why I think they'd be nice is for stuff like Sally - logging in to my usual Talos - I chat with World to see if monster activity in Croatoa - yes? - I pop over there hoping to get the soon to be 1 kill requirement for her - check the Local Emissary there - Sally: Inactive.  Eochi: Active.  Jack in Irons: Inactive.  So, in this case World knew one was up, but not which one... so I had to go and ask the Local in Croatoa.

I have Event messages in a separate chat tab, in addition to timestamp turned on. So I can when an event is announced.

This becomes important for Fires and Troll as I chase those badges.

You can set this up as a separate window and monitor continuously.

I am left unclear what information you are looking for.

As an active base builder, I am always interested in new things for base building.

Not sure these are necessary.

/e poofgone

2 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

I have Event messages in a separate chat tab, in addition to timestamp turned on. So I can when an event is announced.

This becomes important for Fires and Troll as I chase those badges.

You can set this up as a separate window and monitor continuously.

I am left unclear what information you are looking for.

As an active base builder, I am always interested in new things for base building.

Not sure these are necessary.

I never implied they were necessary, just something more aesthetically pleasing IMO than what I personally view as a generic portal dropped somewhere near amenities.

The whole Emissary thing is just an idea to alleviate the need for an additional tab that those like you and I use but people like the wife don't.  She's 2 tabs - 1 window separated in 2 sections with Events not on either.  I know some friends of mine that no longer play did the same because I've seen their set-ups and I get the feeling a good portion of our population might have us in the minority on that aspect.  They want more simplified - maybe.

1 hour ago, SupaFreak said:

I never implied they were necessary, just something more aesthetically pleasing IMO than what I personally view as a generic portal dropped somewhere near amenities.

The whole Emissary thing is just an idea to alleviate the need for an additional tab that those like you and I use but people like the wife don't.  She's 2 tabs - 1 window separated in 2 sections with Events not on either.  I know some friends of mine that no longer play did the same because I've seen their set-ups and I get the feeling a good portion of our population might have us in the minority on that aspect.  They want more simplified - maybe.

I want people to play the game how they want and have their UI set up how they want.

An option exists, just not how it is wanted.

I am not sure the amount of work it would take, the reference is always about the "spaghetti code".

If it is an easy workaround, sure. If not, no.

*side-note: Who are these emissaries and how are they connected to the lore?

The example I give is tangent:

"We shouldn't have to learn fancy binds or macros to play the game"

You don't.

Keymapping is available in the game. It is easy to set up. And you can save it to use across all your characters.

I used this during Live and re-set it up on the first day of my return. Saved it, and have only tweaked it a few times. Upload it for each alt

How does this connect to chat?

"I want to see/not see X in chat"

Easy to. Add/Delete what you want.

If your wife wants only 2 tabs: ABC is at the top and XYZ is at the bottom.

I used to do this ...

then ... epiphany

I can control what I see.

"but I don't want to do that, you need to do it for me"

Because of my IRL work, I resist these kinds of statements.

The beauty of this game is it is tailorable to each user.

In truth learning these things are aspects of the game.

* there is a way to save your UI just like your keymapping and upload it for each alt.

I will close with:

If it is easy to do, yes.

If not, no.

/e poofgone

Also, since I super rarely ever play Redside or care about Badges - I had no idea about the "Spirit Trapping" or "Shakedown(?)" zone events over there.  Wife is a badge hunter - so took her there since I recently was researching if Villains had zone events at all.  Both are really cool IMO and I had no idea they existed because they're not mentioned on Zone Events notifications.  This way new players and dummies like me could use internal resource instead of external resource for discovering things.

Spirit Trapping is a red zone event. Different than what we do Blue side.

I see it in notifications.

External Resources?

I used to ask a lot in Help and General Chat.

People were always glad to help, but always pointed me to the Forums and Wiki

Our Wiki is maintained by one person(I think), and I kinda want to support their efforts 🙂

I was struggling in another game. Til I finally checked out the game forum for help.

YES. It would be lovely to log in as a new player and go. 

I do like this idea ... in my way.

We have monitors to put up in our bases and it would be nice for them to post game-related stuff.

Like zone event messages.

Not sure of the feasibility.

*I still have Blue and Red manuals on my desk for game reference...I am old and forget stuff

/e poofgone