powexec_location cursor doesn't work properly with Shield Charge

nzer

I have a macro for the following command:

powexeclocation cursor shield charge

I expected this macro to activate shield charge at the position of the cursor, but instead it causes my character to rotate 180 degrees and shield charge in place.

I just tested.

/bind b "powexec_location cursor shield charge"
/bind lshift+lbutton "powexec_location cursor shield charge"

both seem to work fine for me. What are you binding the charge to? Is there any other bind associated to the key combo you're pressing? Could be a bug, don't know!

edit: oh, its a macro, sorry I misread. I tried a macro variant too and it also works.

/macro ShieldCharge "powexec_location cursor shield charge"

Are you activating the macro by pressing a key combo sequence, or are you clicking the macro?

Edited by Wiseguy

AKA @Shibbs

It's been awhile since I played shield but I don't think shield charge would send you up into the air, so maybe it takes issue with where your cursor is? Personally I used a powexec_location target macro for shield charge and select my target ahead of time. Your way is technically more click efficient if you can assure you land where you're intending though. Mine seems more idiot friendly.

8 hours ago, Wiseguy said:

Are you activating the macro by pressing a key combo sequence, or are you clicking the macro?

I have it bound to a mouse button. Clicking wouldn't work obviously, since it's powexec_location cursor.

I tried /bind lshift+lbutton "powexec_location cursor shield charge", and that does the same thing. I can post a video in a little bit.

Edited by nzer

Try throwing "shield charge" in quotation marks in your bind.

/bind shift+t "powexeclocation cursor "Shield Charge"" just worked fine for me.

EDIT: I didn't read the thread very well! Didn't realize the issue you were having was based on it not going where you wanted it to, rather than not working at all. I didn't test it with a bind using a mouse click to activate, that might be a factor.

Edited by Fade
edit

So on further testing, this is extremely inconsistent. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. Things I've tested:

• Whether I activate the binding with a mouse button (I have a thumbpad mouse) or the keyboard doesn't matter
  • Whether I unbind the button first or use my typical macro setup (I have each number key bound to slots in two different trays so I can use macros like this and still see the ability cooldown) doesn't matter
  • The angle of the camera doesn't seem to matter
  • How far the cursor is from the character doesn't seem to matter
  • How far in the camera is zoomed doesn't seem to matter

I've also gotten it to activate without turning me around, but also without going to where the cursor is pointed https://streamable.com/5ol294

Interesting.

I gave this a try (Live server) and used the following:

/bind lcrtl+lbutton powexec_location cursor shield charge

I'm getting fairly inconsistent results. Seems to work most of the time, right up until it doesn't - then the toon will spin in place and activate the power.

Does not seem to be related to cursor's proximity to "ground" or it being within/without the range of the power.

Just did a test in mid-air to a point also in mid-air and it worked 4x in a row?

Hmm ...

Not sure what could be the cause of the inconsistency here.

Edit: About the only thing different I can think of is that I turned off default FoV, highly doubt that has anything to do with your result but it is one possible difference in our setups.

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

To be honest, I've experienced this happening on occasion as well, with the Translocation secondary power from Mystic Flight. When I use my teleport bind and try to teleport across the map rapidly, I rarely see the same kind of issue as shown in the video. I always chalked it up to user error (in my case, trying to teleport too quickly before the first one finished executing) but it seems like my initial assumption might have been mistaken.

48 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

Edit: About the only thing different I can think of is that I turned off default FoV, highly doubt that has anything to do with your result but it is one possible difference in our setups.

So did I actually, my FoV is around 70 or 80.

33 minutes ago, nzer said:

So did I actually, my FoV is around 70 or 80.

Gotcha. Probably not a relevant thing then. Mine is like 55 or something around there. Changed it when I started using Combat Teleport on nearly everything.

Gotta be something to do with the cursor tracking itself, maybe?

I use Teleport to cursor for zone crossing on some toons as @Fade describes, but I've never noticed issues with that use case.

Edited by InvaderStych
"thing then" not "thing thing" :P

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

1 hour ago, InvaderStych said:

Gotta be something to do with the cursor tracking itself, maybe?

Possibly? I started using powexec_location cursor macros on an ill/time controller a little while back, and have never experienced this issue with any of those powers. I've also not experienced it with Combat Teleport, although I admittedly haven't used it that much.

• Thumbs Up 1