Requesting a non-AE server #TBL on July 1st

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Please don't be snarky. The thread will degenerate. Even if he expressed his points, none of which I agree with, poorly, don't add to it.

I agree with this.  Snark sometimes ripples out of me, but I do understand that it's not helpful in almost all situations, including this one. Thanks for the grounding.  :)

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they missed the sewer runs to KR and unlocking travel and capes.

I miss hanging out at the Perez Park gate watching the LFG posts fly through Broadcast hoping to get on a good team. I loved that and still fly over PP from time to time and find places that I had memorable battles with Anathema and CW and CoT and Hydra's duking it out on a hill with multiple teams drawing chaotic aggro from everywhere.

I miss grinding Boomtown because you had too because everyone ran out of contacts.

I miss flying around blasting Nemesis off the industrial catwalks in CF.

I miss waiting on a good tank to come back from his afk so the team could move on. I miss people juggling around the star to see who had the best mission. I miss people dropping dead instantly because their sk anchor got mapserved in the middle of a spawn.

AE didn't kill those things. The game did. The game evolved, and those things were mostly gone before AE.  Powerlevelling doesn't make players ignorant about how to play the game. They start that way and they stay that way. Last night I joined a pug that had a 35 brute who didn't know how to use the tram. He had no enhancements and had no idea how to let a tank corner pull. That wasn't his fault. It's the games fault.

Why?

Because the game uses leveling as the watermark for progression. The only way to fix PL is to get rid of levels. The only way to get rid of Inf farming is to get rid of Inf.

AE isn't the problem. It's just a symptom. It represents a relic of game design that comes from 1970's era pen and paper RPG games.

The game is what it is, and trying to get back to the "good old days" will without doubt kill the game. Dead. CoH's progression back in the day was terrible. It was only saved by the gameplay. The game is fun. It gets more fun as you get more power. Who REALLY looks forward to playing for a week with 4 powers running the same exact missions over and over again knowing that you won't get another combat power until next week because you need Hover then Fly so your stuck for the 5 levels with the same cycle of 4 powers over and over and over again.

Nobody. And a lot of people aren't willing to invest the time and effort it takes to get to the good stuff because it just ain't worth it.

I never farmed on live. I did a few bubbles worth of herding, I did a few wolf missions, and some demon gates. That wasn't really that fun once the novelty wore off. But I very often wished I was doing that instead of zoning, green line to yellow line, zoning, zoning talking to the contact, zoning zoning yellow line to green line 1.3 miles door find the glowie repeat.

I PL'd with strangers for the first time on HC, one toon to 40 and one toon to 35. I will power level other toons, absolutely. And I want that option. I want the double XP easily obtainable prior to starting the farm. Because without it, I WILL quit playing. I won't grind another 14 levels trying to dodge purple street spawns to chase CoT around on the donut map. But if I know I can skip the "Good old Days" bad content, then I will keep playing, keep making alts, and keep going back to my core team of toons.

Because I really love this game.

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that they missed the sewer runs to KR and unlocking travel and capes.

I miss hanging out at the Perez Park gate watching the LFG posts fly through Broadcast hoping to get on a good team. I loved that and still fly over PP from time to time and find places that I had memorable battles with Anathema and CW and CoT and Hydra's duking it out on a hill with multiple teams drawing chaotic aggro from everywhere.

I miss grinding Boomtown because you had too because everyone ran out of contacts.

I miss flying around blasting Nemesis off the industrial catwalks in CF.

I miss waiting on a good tank to come back from his afk so the team could move on. I miss people juggling around the star to see who had the best mission. I miss people dropping dead instantly because their sk anchor got mapserved in the middle of a spawn.

AE didn't kill those things. The game did. The game evolved, and those things were mostly gone before AE.  Powerlevelling doesn't make players ignorant about how to play the game. They start that way and they stay that way. Last night I joined a pug that had a 35 brute who didn't know how to use the tram. He had no enhancements and had no idea how to let a tank corner pull. That wasn't his fault. It's the games fault.

Why?

Because the game uses leveling as the watermark for progression. The only way to fix PL is to get rid of levels. The only way to get rid of Inf farming is to get rid of Inf.

AE isn't the problem. It's just a symptom. It represents a relic of game design that comes from 1970's era pen and paper RPG games.

The game is what it is, and trying to get back to the "good old days" will without doubt kill the game. Dead. CoH's progression back in the day was terrible. It was only saved by the gameplay. The game is fun. It gets more fun as you get more power. Who REALLY looks forward to playing for a week with 4 powers running the same exact missions over and over again knowing that you won't get another combat power until next week because you need Hover then Fly so your stuck for the 5 levels with the same cycle of 4 powers over and over and over again.

Nobody. And a lot of people aren't willing to invest the time and effort it takes to get to the good stuff because it just ain't worth it.

I never farmed on live. I did a few bubbles worth of herding, I did a few wolf missions, and some demon gates. That wasn't really that fun once the novelty wore off. But I very often wished I was doing that instead of zoning, green line to yellow line, zoning, zoning talking to the contact, zoning zoning yellow line to green line 1.3 miles door find the glowie repeat.

I PL'd with strangers for the first time on HC, one toon to 40 and one toon to 35. I will power level other toons, absolutely. And I want that option. I want the double XP easily obtainable prior to starting the farm. Because without it, I WILL quit playing. I won't grind another 14 levels trying to dodge purple street spawns to chase CoT around on the donut map. But if I know I can skip the "Good old Days" bad content, then I will keep playing, keep making alts, and keep going back to my core team of toons.

Because I really love this game.

I understand your perspective, and commend you on a thoughtful contribution. All of which confirms that the option to pl is fine. The proliferation of AE that overwhelmed the game, subsumed all alternate forms of gameplay, and DID create helpless players is evident.

I enjoyed trekking through the original hollows, I enjoyed original arcs and contacts missions, and I also enjoy pl and farming. So, the issue is again, not whether powerleveling should exist or not, but whether or not that should unhealthily pervert the boom of the game.

The very fact this thread exists is point of fact that AE, and what it does, IS a problem. Not leveling faster, not farming, not quick progression.... AE.

Now, I don't think that eliminating AE is the answer. I DO think that removing it from chat spam, and from zones below level 14 is beneficial

I feel you, I get you want the option to level quickly. I do to. I also want to NOT be negatively impacted by AE. And I do have to kindly observe here, that you love the game, but don't, from what you've said about how it wasn't fun before.

*Shrug* I never had a problem leveling on live, and I found that the content was diverse. But, portraying 90% of the game content by emphasizing 10% of the content (zone, zone etc) isn't really unbiased... Even on live issue 6 I could make it to 14 in one day. One.

And I could make it to 20 in a weekend. I like the game now too, but AE clearly and unequivocally was detrimental to the game's ongoing sustainability.

One thing I'd like to mention before the lock, and I temporarily hold my peace with what ever issue that AE has me.. intimidated by, is

I've noticed Atlas City to be unstable, I think it would be silly to assume that this is due to traffic of the AE, but I feel it hasn't been mentioned or clarified. To anyone who is still interested in speaking about the subject. If not, :) I'm okay with that. May new topics flourish :D And new perspectives be addressed.

1) It could really be just my computer

2) My Internet?

3) Someothe issue not related to traffic

4)    It could be just traffic, not too sure whether it is related to AE in anyway.

Anyone else?

I hope in the meantime I may sit back and reflect what I have learnt over the week :)

Here's an ambitious idea. Lets just take Atlas City, replace Atlas with our Lord and savoir Recluse, tint the map evil and call it a day?

It could be just traffic, not too sure whether it is related to AE in anyway.

I think it is just high traffic.  While that is going to be party due to the number of people using AE I have to say the only big performance drop I've seen in Atlas has been when there's a costume contest on... and I'm sure noone can imagine a server without those!

My two inf: I don't like AE - never have, never will.  For all sorts of reasons I think it was bad for the game but I've long since accepted it as a part of the game - just not one that I, personally, will play.  Indeed the only use I've made of it on HC is to use the one in Cap au Diable as an oasis of safety while navigating a level 10 with no travel power to the next mission door... so it's not entirely useless :)

In any case even were AE removed tomorrow that wouldn't somehow bring back 'the good old days'.  Farmers gonna farm, and if AE wasn't there they'd be finding a new Dreck map (which I'm sure some already have) or spending even more time in DFB/DIB. 

I also don't think the spam is that bad.  I still see plenty of TFs/SFs being formed, as well as mission and radio teams, and LFG/Help/Broadcast don't get nearly as heated as they did back when the original AE craze was at its height.  At times back then there was open warfare in those channels between those who AE'd and those who didn't... which had the fun side effect that people would form mission teams purely in defiance of the rush to AE.  I think that's the only time I was ever part of a full team running Kalinda's missions in Mercy - so many snakes!

My two inf: I don't like AE - never have, never will.  For all sorts of reasons I think it was bad for the game but I've long since accepted it as a part of the game - just not one that I, personally, will play.  Indeed the only use I've made of it on HC is to use the one in Cap au Diable as an oasis of safety while navigating a level 10 with no travel power to the next mission door... so it's not entirely useless :)

In any case even were AE removed tomorrow that wouldn't somehow bring back 'the good old days'.  Farmers gonna farm, and if AE wasn't there they'd be finding a new Dreck map (which I'm sure some already have) or spending even more time in DFB/DIB. 

I also don't think the spam is that bad.  I still see plenty of TFs/SFs being formed, as well as mission and radio teams, and LFG/Help/Broadcast don't get nearly as heated as they did back when the original AE craze was at its height.  At times back then there was open warfare in those channels between those who AE'd and those who didn't... which had the fun side effect that people would form mission teams purely in defiance of the rush to AE.  I think that's the only time I was ever part of a full team running Kalinda's missions in Mercy - so many snakes!

I can count on maybe 3 fingers the # of times I have seen AE mentioned in LFG at all...Maybe a few more times in the Help...I'll have to start counting, because honestly, its feels like 80% DFB, and 20% is TF, Radio/Newspaper, or LF Anything.

Now, I love AE for PL'ing.  I don't PL at all, and I don't do AE.  But AE is so much better than having the pitiful spams in broadcast in every zone begging for PL'ing like we had in Live before AE farming took hold.  That was the worst.

And at least if you use AE for farming, you have to take some action to level up.  I remember people who just wanted to get PI and sit at the entrance and literally do nothing while SK'ed to someone else tearing the place up.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I can count on maybe 3 fingers the # of times I have seen AE mentioned in LFG at all...Maybe a few more times in the Help...I'll have to start counting, because honestly, its feels like 80% DFB, and 20% is TF, Radio/Newspaper, or LF Anything.

Now, I love AE for PL'ing.  I don't PL at all, and I don't do AE.  But AE is so much better than having the pitiful spams in broadcast in every zone begging for PL'ing like we had in Live before AE farming took hold.  That was the worst.

And at least if you use AE for farming, you have to take some action to level up.  I remember people who just wanted to get PI and sit at the entrance and literally do nothing while SK'ed to someone else tearing the place up.

I would advocate for the same exp reduction that AE got, to be applied to dfb and dib

DFB and DiB do absolutely nothing to affect your gaming.

Don't be melodramatic.

Agreed and I would extend that to AE, it doesnt affect you if you dont want to use it. I am looking forward to crafting missions in AE because that appeals to me, I have not used it to PL and I dont plan on but I would never take that away from others. Not sure why people would even think they would create a new server with special rules just for a few.